• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Make R3 better than DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffDelucia

WCA
2010DELU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks like an interesting mod. My old storebought after a year of breaking in was a lot like a ghosthand. My grandfathers store bought is very good and im not sure why. He hardly uses it but it turns pretty well and cuts like half a piece. I can average like 27 seconds with it. (usually 22ish)

ManSkirtBrew

I just tried this with my el cheapo Rubik's brand. The kind that comes in the plastic clamshell with a stand.

The last step seems to have made the biggest difference. I used a Dremel with a round burr to take the high parts under the centers down.

It smoothed the cube out quite a bit, but it is still tight. My hands are sore from just a few solves. It also doesn't back cut even a tiny bit, which is causing me a lot of lockups.

Any other solutions for loosening these bad boys up?

-Joe

puzzlemaster

WCA
2008LAUD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just tried this with my el cheapo Rubik's brand. The kind that comes in the plastic clamshell with a stand.

The last step seems to have made the biggest difference. I used a Dremel with a round burr to take the high parts under the centers down.

It smoothed the cube out quite a bit, but it is still tight. My hands are sore from just a few solves. It also doesn't back cut even a tiny bit, which is causing me a lot of lockups.

-Joe

Throw it at a wall.

dillonbladez

WCA
2010CHAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel

-Joe

Throw it at a wall.

Buy a core and hardware set.
I'm telling you, well modded storebought cubies with a type A core+hardware

solvinonspeed

i used to break in store boughts with dirt, but i switched to using comet cleaner, its just abrasive enough. a little messy but it works well

Anonymous

-Joe

Throw it at a wall.

Buy a core and hardware set.
I'm telling you, well modded storebought cubies with a type A core+hardware

I thought that most people agreed that C4Y has the best hardware?

dillonbladez

WCA
2010CHAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wouldn't. I would say that Maru did.

I guess there is no good or bad hardware, but then again, you have to draw a line. There's nothing wrong with Type A hardware, though. I think it's particularly good for my cube. Each Hardware sets should have different "abilites"

dillonbladez

WCA
2010CHAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wouldn't. I would say that Maru did.

I guess there is no good or bad hardware, but then again, you have to draw a line. There's nothing wrong with Type A hardware, though. I think it's particularly good for my cube. Each Hardware sets should have different "abilites"

Reminds me of RPGs!

Lol, my mind went blank at the time, so thats the only word that could work... at the time.
Thats why I put quotations lol

ManSkirtBrew

I finally found some heavy duty CRC silicone at a local auto parts store. I applied two small shots and holy-poop-on-a-stick is it better! It's like a completely different cube now.

It cuts just over 1/2 of a cubelet now and is smooth and fast. Thanks for the mod!

-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.