• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Proposal: Review Forum

Should we have a 'Reviews section in the forum or not?

• Yes

Votes: 33 97.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why don't we put it on the wiki? If anyone wants to add their review, they can just edit the page and put theirs on it. I mean, we don't really need an entire thread for every single review.

Because noobs don't check the wiki.

While many (dare I say most?) unboxings are done in manners unhelpful, unboxings "done properly" hold value. They are the only real way to watch somebody develop their first impressions.

First impressions are worthless. I hated my guhongs and zhanchi at first. I hated my maru 4x4 at first. I don't care what a new cube is like unlubed, untensioned, and unbroken in. Unboxings have no merit.

No unboxings in whatever the new review section will be. Period.

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
Because noobs don't check the wiki.
That's because the wiki is generally outdated and not very helpful hardware-wise. This could change that. Besides, it's not like we have tons of noobs making new threads asking for video reviews, which probably means that they can find reviews easily enough on their own.

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's because the wiki is generally outdated and not very helpful hardware-wise. This could change that. Besides, it's not like we have tons of noobs making new threads asking for video reviews, which probably means that they can find reviews easily enough on their own.

Then update it!

While many (dare I say most?) unboxings are done in manners unhelpful, unboxings "done properly" hold value. They are the only real way to watch somebody develop their first impressions.

No unboxing is helpful. Who cares if you get a cube and it's bad! Lube it and break it in! Maybe if they combined the review and unboxing in one. For instance, I like the way RedKB does his unboxings, he doesn't make you the whole "unboxing" period. He jump cuts to certain points.

Last edited:

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
I liked one of Thrawst's unboxing I think of the shenshou 5x5. He showed initial reaction being detailed but to the point, and then he showed a few days later, opinion and a solve.

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a great idea, and I think unboxings should be included. I almost never make unboxings because they are very difficult to make well, because first impressions of a cube mean virtually nothing about the cube in the long run. Unboxings should be allowed, but people who upload them need to combine a review of the cube in the future with an unboxing. Unboxings by themselves are worthless.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How is a first impression helpful if it is completely different to a later impression? If a cube is good after a week then say that in your review; there is no need to show us your box opening skills.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
How is a first impression helpful if it is completely different to a later impression? If a cube is good after a week then say that in your review; there is no need to show us your box opening skills.

Why didn't you tell me this before I made a vid of my new PB unbox time. Jeez, I've been working on my tape cutting and I got the flaps down(Literally and Figuratively.). Bubble wrap removal needs some work though.

On Topic:

Brilliant idea. But instead of fighting over whether it should be in the wiki or on the forum, why don't we make it both? Though we don't see noobs check the wiki, a lot of people who are seroiusly interested in starting cubing do look through the wiki. People who know the internet will check wikis first thing, look at FAQs and such. Having a Cube Review section would be extremely beneficial.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wouldn't want it in the wiki because anyone can edit anything. Say 100 people liked a cube and put good reviews on the wiki. It only takes one person who doesn't like that cube to delete al the good reviews and put a bad review on. It suddenly changes the opinion. Whereas, if you put it on the forum, then people can't edit other's thoughts (moderators can, but they wouldn't). I will add a poll to this thread.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
This idea will happen, it just a matter of setting it up and determining exactly how it will work. Should we create 1 topic for each puzzle and everyone posts their opinions in that one thread, or allow anyone to post a thread on a puzzle they use? It would make more sense to have all reviews/discussion about a puzzle in a single thread, instead of having 30 different threads with different opinions on each puzzle.

Let me know what you think.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This idea will happen, it just a matter of setting it up and determining exactly how it will work. Should we create 1 topic for each puzzle and everyone posts their opinions in that one thread, or allow anyone to post a thread on a puzzle they use? It would make more sense to have all reviews/discussion about a puzzle in a single thread, instead of having 30 different threads with different opinions on each puzzle.

1 Thread per cube sounds good. This way you can tally up the amount of good vs. the amount of bad. So you don't have to go looking through thread after thread and find 1 person likes this cube but the other doesn't. So you can get a good view of it. Like 78% of the cubers who posted a review of "x" cube like it agianst 22% who didn't like "x" cube. With a poll for votes about the cube and buying recommendation. Perhaps even links to stores that sell the cube.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

One thread per cube. If someone wanted to add a review on a cube, they search for a thread on a cube, and if there isn't, they make a new thread. People could also ask for opinions on a cube if there isn't a thread on that cube, like my thread on the Ultimate Lubix WitTwo. And, if someone creates a new thread about a cube that there is already a thread about, a moderator can just move the post. I wouldn't mind helping with guidelines etc.

Last edited:

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
1 Thread per cube sounds good. This way you can tally up the amount of good vs. the amount of bad. So you don't have to go looking through thread after thread and find 1 person likes this cube but the other doesn't. So you can get a good view of it. Like 78% of the cubers who posted a review of "x" cube like it agianst 22% who didn't like "x" cube. With a poll for votes about the cube and buying recommendation. Perhaps even links to stores that sell the cube.

Very much agree with this. However, how would a cube be defined? Basically, does guhong = lubix guhong or seperate threads etc.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Very much agree with this. However, how would a cube be defined? Basically, does guhong = lubix guhong or seperate threads etc.

Lubix cubes are sold pre-lubed, pre-tensioned and pre-modded. So, I think they should be different threads. So would other companies that sell pre-lubed, pre-tensioned and pre-modded cubes (although I don't think there are other companies that do that, but I'm not 100% sure). So a review of the Ultimate Lubix WitTwo (which I will do) will be different to a standard Type C WitTwo review.

Really looking forward to this section getting up and running. I think we need to get it up ASAP, so people can get the idea of it, then we can sort out any problems.