• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thread approval

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
@robocopter: my thoughts were "let anyone flag a thread. Once it has been flagged 5 times a halfmod decides whether or not to hide the thread. So you'd only really need 5 halfmods.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
Sounds like an idea. Informing a thread creater to search before making a thread. But there will still be useless threads made that aren't simple questions. Maybe if they had a warning before the thread is made telling the poster the consequences of making a useless thread.

Warning: Use the search function to search for your question.
Warning: Your question might belong in the OAQT.
Warning: If you make a useless thread, you could be punished.

I'm sure anyone would love to go through that every time they posted a thread.

And dude, there already is an informer telling you to use the search. Everytime you make a thread, its in Big Red Letters above the text box.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Warning: Use the search function to search for your question.
Warning: Your question might belong in the OAQT.
Warning: If you make a useless thread, you could be punished.

I'm sure anyone would love to go through that every time they posted a thread.

And dude, there already is an informer telling you to use the search. Everytime you make a thread, its in Big Red Letters above the text box.

Well i wouldn't know since I've never made a thread. But what if you're not making a thread asking for help? Or looking for info?

You think people actually read that?

Specs you're back!

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
@robocopter: my thoughts were "let anyone flag a thread. Once it has been flagged 5 times a halfmod decides whether or not to hide the thread. So you'd only really need 5 halfmods.

This is no different then just having more Mods, having more people, giving more powers. It isn't solving the issue of "People making crap threads".

You think people actually read that?

Exactly what I'm saying.

(lol it twas Sarah, speaking of which, if you are in here, please post your opinion.)

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Or we can be the "half-mods" by using our super Report Post powers to bring posts to mod-attention without bumping. If people are acting stupid and keep bumping them (like Robocopter said), then treat those bumpers as if they were spammers making "stupid" threads/posts via infractions/reprimands until they take a hint.

I remember a LOOOOOOONG time ago (when I first started and I was lurking), someone had an idea of making a welcome video. Why don't we do that for the rules? When someone joins, they have to watch the video. Granted, there will be people who skip through the video or don't watch it, but it might make a difference.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think we need a new system dedicated to reducing spam threads. If you guys use the Report Button whenever needed, a mod will take care of it asap. It's interesting to your ideas and opinions, though.
The admins choose the mods, so it's up to them to decide if more mods are needed, and if so who they will be.

I remember a LOOOOOOONG time ago (when I first started and I was lurking), someone had an idea of making a welcome video. Why don't we do that for the rules? When someone joins, they have to watch the video. Granted, there will be people who skip through the video or don't watch it, but it might make a difference.
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?9431-Welcome-video-for-new-members

Last edited:

jonlin

WCA
2012LINJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the real problem is people being bothered by the threads being made, and people feeling they have to scream at the poster. If you just report it and leave it alone, it'll get bumped off the front page, and later deleted. If like 10 people start bashing the person for posting a stupid thread, that's 10 bumps keeping it visible to everyone. The threads are more like the spark to the problem IMO.
Now you have to see why all the threads are being MADE. I think the reason is that people like womack and Flyingfingers are irrelavent to the whole speedsolving community and they ignore the flaming comments sent at them. Don't worry about me, I kind of like the half mod idea. But we've got to make the people see sense. We've got to do something to make them pay attention.

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think we need a new system dedicated to reducing spam threads. If you guys use the Report Button whenever needed, a mod will take care of it asap. It's interesting to your ideas and opinions, though.
The admins choose the mods, so it's up to them to decide if more mods are needed, and if so who they will be.

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?9431-Welcome-video-for-new-members

That sounds like a great idea! If none of the mods are up for it, I'd be willing to make the video.

EDIT: Forgot you can't see quotes within quotes, but this is an idea for a welcome video/rules video that all new members have to watch.

Who cares if these dumb threads are up for like 2 hours. They will be gone in like a day

Personally, those threads don't bother me that much, but when people start responding to those threads and keep it up on the front page, that's what bothers me.

Last edited:

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone else think these threads are getting a little repetitive?

I think I've thought of a temporary solution(possibly permanent). Why not give each member the ability to hide threads from their own PERSONAL thread feed on the home page? like on Youtube you used to be able to hide a video by clicking the "x" you could still view it if you looked for it but it wouldn't appear on your home page. Therefore you don't have to look at the "crap" threads. If you deem a thread as stupid you just hide it and don't have to look at it taking up your home page thread feed.

If this isn't implemented or something of a similar nature, people need to learn to just ignore stupid threads rather than posting in the stupid threads and keeping them on the homepage.

cubersmith

WCA
2011SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel

I think I've thought of a temporary solution(possibly permanent). Why not give each member the ability to hide threads from their own PERSONAL thread feed on the home page? like on Youtube you used to be able to hide a video by clicking the "x" you could still view it if you looked for it but it wouldn't appear on your home page. Therefore you don't have to look at the "crap" threads. If you deem a thread as stupid you just hide it and don't have to look at it taking up your home page thread feed.

If this isn't implemented or something of a similar nature, people need to learn to just ignore stupid threads rather than posting in the stupid threads and keeping them on the homepage.

Yeah unlike the other ideas on this thread, I cant see any reason why this wouldn't work.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Yea sounds like a solid idea. I thought about something similar, remove threads posted in certain topics like speedcubing help wouldn't show up in my feed. Or threads started by a certain member.

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah unlike the other ideas on this thread, I cant see any reason why this wouldn't work.

Unlike Google, speedsolving doesn't have thousands of coders to implement the coolest ideas that come into their heads. Something like this might be possible for us to have, but it would take a very long time to implement and debug (might've used debug in the wrong context, but you get my point). Bottom line, as far as I know the mods don't have that kind of time on their hands.

cubernya

Premium Member
Unlike Google, speedsolving doesn't have thousands of coders to implement the coolest ideas that come into their heads. Something like this might be possible for us to have, but it would take a very long time to implement and debug (might've used debug in the wrong context, but you get my point). Bottom line, as far as I know the mods don't have that kind of time on their hands.

I know that there's lots of people who can code some things that were mentioned. It wouldn't be too terribly difficult, but I think it would require JavaScript or PHP. I can do some of the JavaScript, and I know Odder can too (and I'm sure he would be willing). I know Thom can too, but I'm not sure if he'd be willing.

tasguitar7

YouTube
Visit Channel
How about thread approval, just not through mods. So, some thread is created, and it functions just like threads now, people post and all that good stuff, the difference is, the rating system on the thread is now important. If X number of people rate the thread 2 stars or below then the thread is hidden and reported, or enough 1 stars and the thread is deleted. And also the number of votes a member is allowed in some time period Y should be a function of their post count, time since they joined the forum, and the number of times they have gotten a ban/infraction.

Edward

WCA
2011KING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How about thread approval, just not through mods. So, some thread is created, and it functions just like threads now, people post and all that good stuff, the difference is, the rating system on the thread is now important. If X number of people rate the thread 2 stars or below then the thread is hidden and reported, or enough 1 stars and the thread is deleted. And also the number of votes a member is allowed in some time period Y should be a function of their post count, time since they joined the forum, and the number of times they have gotten a ban/infraction.

I actually like this. Not sure how the thread rating system is actually useful now (it may already do this) , but low rated threads being reported would be great, it would also get people using the thread rate system more.

Hodari

If it's not already done, might be better just to have an option for each user to be able to filter out threads below a certain rating rather than setting arbitrary numbers like this and hiding it from everyone. If someone WANTS to see threads rated 2 or lower, they could choose to still do so. Also in that case, probably no need to have the threads auo-reported either since the people who don't want to see them won't(aside from the first few needed to rate it down far enough, who can choose to report it themselves as well if they feel it''s deserved) and the mods will likely notice the thread and take action soon enough otherwise anyway