• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Case Likelihoods Questions

On Badmephisto's site, it has the likelihoods of each PLL case coming up, and most of them say 1/18. But I don't really think that's exact, because I seem to see the G's and N perms pop up a lot more than it says they should be.

So, are those right?

And as an extension of the above, what perms do you guys see pop up more than most?

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, are those right?

Yes.

And as an extension of the above, what perms do you guys see pop up more than most?

None, cause most pop up equally often (all those with 1/18).

In general, if you can't decide whether math is right or your gut feeling based on your individual experience distorted by biased recall is right... go with math.

Last edited:
Well, I tend to include G and R's together, because I base it off of how often I have to do A+U, and I don't know the both of those yet. Fortunately, those are the last ones I have left before I know full PLL, so yeah.

applemobile

I will go a whole day without a G-perm followed by about 5 in a row. True story. Same goes for pll skips, I often get two in a row.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
PLLs with that look different from all sides: 1/18
PLLs with that look the same from 2 sides: 1/36
PLLs with that look the same from all sides: 1/72

The distribution should be roughly the same as their likelihoods, if you don't purposely affect PLL in any way during OLL. If you remember certain PLLs popping up more than others with the same likelihoods, it's probably because you don't pay enough attention. People tend to only remember things that they choose to remember. Let's say someone whose favourite PLL is J(a) does an average of 100. If he gets about 10 J(a) perms, he'll probably remember that he has lots of J(a) perms, but not realize that he also had about 10 R(a) perms.

Does anyone remember this?
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?13330-Quick-experiment-need-participants

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1) PLLs with no lines of symmetry: 1/18
2) PLLs with horizontal/vertical symmetry, or diagonal symmetry: 1/36
3) PLLs with diagonal symmetry and horizontal/vertical symmetry: 1/72

There are PLLs in both 2) and 3) (because "A and B" is a subset of "A or B").
I'd say T/Y/F/V are in 2) but all have 1/18.
I'd say the Ns are in 1) (*) but they have 1/72.

But I might misunderstand what you mean. Does the "/" in "horizontal/vertical" mean "and", "or" or "combined" or something else?

(*) As in they have no "line" of symmetry. They do have *rotational* symmetry which is the real reason for the differing probabilities.

Last edited:
I tend to get a lot of G perms too. I think that is because there are four G cases, so they should occur four times as often. That's always been my perception of it, correct me if I am wrong.