• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.
WCA
2012CHIE01
They don't really relate at all. The only thing is the 3x3 stage on 4x4, which will probably be about 25% slower than normal 3x3 (for me at least). With OH, it depends on how much you practice. TheWestonian averages like 16-18 with OH (I think) and 13 with 2H. Michal and Feliks average 11-13 OH, and 7-9 2H. I average 53 with OH, and 23 with 2H.

well. I'm not really asking about just one person, like in your mind, when you see someone who posts an accomplishment: "I just got my first sub-30 average of 12!", you probably have like a level in your mind that you now have for that person. So, just kind of keep that feeling of that level in your head, and when you see someone who says: "I just got my first sub___ average on 4x4!". You have the same feeling for this person as the sub-30 person. So what is that ____?

did that make sense? I hope so.

pi.cubed

How do SS 2x2 alg tables work? I know that 40 or so cases are not included because they are mirrors of the other cases, but the problem is that I cannot work out how to do the cases that are not included. An example is the case that is set up with R2 U R2 F' U2 F U. This is very similar to the case in the 4th column in the 'Frog' row of David Woner's SS table. The algorithm for that case is R U2 R2 F' U F. I have tried the inverse and various mirrors of this algorithm, but none of them seem to solve the case I have.
What would be the SS solution to the case I have and what is the concept/relationship between that case and the case that it is the mirror of?

Thanks.

Who is the cuber with the fastest official times in a competition with ZZ?
I think Phil Yu.

Last edited:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For 4x4, what goal do you think is about equal to sub-30 on 3x3? Like if someone was sub-2 on 4x4, are they approximately the same "level" as someone sub-30 on 3x3? So is it sub-2? or sub-1:30, etc.? And also for 3x3 OH?
thanks

They don't correalate much unless you practice each equally, which most don't. For example although I'm sub-10 on 3x3, I'm only sub-21 OH and 1:00 on 4x4. But I know people who are sub-1 4x4 and only sub-20 3x3.
And I know someone who is only sub-12 TH but is at least sub-15 OH.

It's hard to put a figure on 4x4 because most use reduction which actually has a 3x3 stage.

EDIT:
ok you asked in my mind what will be an equally good achievement, well.
sub-30 3x3- sub-2:00 4x4 - sub-50 OH
sub-20 - sub 1:00 - sub 30
Sub-10 - sub 50 - sub 15

Last edited:

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I am solving 3x3 and I accidentally turn a corner, making the cube unsolvable, can I turn it back and continue the solve? I was looking under WCA Rule 5: defects but it didn't talk about this instance.

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I am solving 3x3 and I accidentally turn a corner, making the cube unsolvable, can I turn it back and continue the solve? I was looking under WCA Rule 5: defects but it didn't talk about this instance.

I would say this comes under (5b), so you can twist he corner right back, or you can stop the solve, or you can finish the solve, and twist it back at the end.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would say this comes under (5b), so you can twist he corner right back, or you can stop the solve, or you can finish the solve, and twist it back at the end.

Rule 5b:
5b) If a puzzle defect occurs, the competitor may choose to continue the solve (before or after repairing the defect) or choose to stop the solve.

So, yes you could twist it back.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
I have started to practising Square-1. I have learnt Cubeshape,CO and EO.

I am doing those 3 steps in 30-70 seconds. Is that normal?

Whyever not. It sinks in when you use them during solves and you can learn as many as you like as long as you can remember them.

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where can I buy the Type C 4 right now? Is it anywhere besides the Witeden site?

Also do you think learning 4 algs every two days(COLL, CLL, EG-1, and EG-2) is doable in two months?

What springs and lube should I buy for my ShengShou cubes 4 through 7?

I don't have the shenshou 7 yet but on the 4, 5, 6, and 8 I used high viscosity shock oil and they turn great. If you have lubix, that would work a little better though.

It's not a specific spring, it's a sprin that is the same hardness as Dayan ones.

Last edited:

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where can I buy the Type C 4 right now? Is it anywhere besides the Witeden site?

Also do you think learning 4 algs every two days(COLL, CLL, EG-1, and EG-2) is doable in two months?

4 algs every two days for two months would allow ~120 algs, each of those sets is 40, so 160 total, of course there is some overlap and you'll already know some from OLL. I suppose it's possible, but I can only imagine the recall problems when learning them all at the same time, compartmentalizing which algs belong to which alg sets would be a *****.

retep

I know you can get the type c 4 here: http://thecubicle.us/type-witlong-p-58.html?osCsid=6d205cbe5605161cc07c2061e73da28b
great price and free shipping if in US or order above a certain amount

As for 4 algs a day, I dunno. I tried that with OLL (kind of still trying it) but I have an extremely hard time remembering which alg is for which case and often got them mixed up. I also found the execution was rather poor and I sometimes had to really think about the moves instead of having it muscle memory. When I went down to 2 a day basically all these problems disappeared. I mean 4 a day might be possible if you are only learning like 20 algs or something but I think for large amounts of algs things (like recall, execution and distinction of cases) will really suffer.

Although I should mention I am rather new to speedcubing in general and only know full PLL and about half to 3/4 of OLL, not nearly as many algs as some people, so I haven't really "perfected" an alg learning technique and there are some things I would definitely change if I were going to try and learn 4 algs a day again. But for now I am satisfied with 2 a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.