• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does it tick you off when people say they "figured out" how to solve a rubik's cube?

Tetris Cube

Most people who cube at my school use the vanilla layer by layer method. My friend and I use Petrus, and I think there's two kids who use Fridrich and average under 20.

I asked someone once what method he used, and he just said none, he figured it out himself. No guides, videos, anything. I watched him solve, and he did it pretty slowly, LBL method. Now I'm pretty sure if someone figured out how to solve a cube on their own, (besides being a genius) they would use some kind of block building method, but even so I really doubt he figured out all of the algorithms he used, and what they did on his own. He used common LBL algorithms anyway, like Sune to permute edges and R' D R D' to orient the corners.

I just find it really hard to believe that someone can come up with their own system and NOT be any good at the cube. Anyone else have similar encounters?

E

Ethan Rosen

The first attempt for most people is to get a side. From here, some people realize that they have to get a layer, and the second layer isn't hard to figure out. The sune family is also really easy to figure out, and I don't really know what R' D R D' is (from my understanding it is a wierd way to do R U2 R' U' R U' R L' U2 L U L' U L). While I wouldn't necessarily believe that he figured it out by himself, it is possible.

MAGIK

yea ive had a few encounters like that...normally id walk around with the cube mixed up and naturally ppl say u cant do that!....no big deal but then they say they can do it....they normally say they did it side by side....i think thats impossible!!!...but yea so i give them the cube and they freeze up like theyd never seen one before....ppl are such liars lol

toast

WCA
2009BELL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I only hate it when I solving the cube, some random person comes up and says "I can do itttt, I can do it." And takes the cube. 5 minutes later, "YES IN YOUR FACE." I scramble then do a sub-20 solve. Just annoys me how they think I can't do it.

Last edited:

suhas2112

YouTube
Visit Channel
once in my school, i saw a guy teaching other people.... I ask him what method he uses, and he said he figured it out himself... I later see him solve the cube and i see him using Dan Brown's method... He also uses the same fingertricks that dan brown recommends... I bust him for being a liar and he later comes to me and says that his dad taught him how to do it... What a loser...

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
i had one guy tell me that he used to be able to do it in 30 seconds, but cant do it anymore. And when I pressed them on details of the procedure he actually said that he cant remember. I didnt push more after that because it was pretty obvious to me that the guy was an idiot, and i didnt wish to embarrass him in front of everyone, but... it was a funny encounter :)

Sir E Brum

WCA
2010HANN01
I actually did figure it out on my own but I used commutators for the LL. I did use blockbuilding for the F2L because I could keep what I had built without messing it up. I was terrified of messing it up and having to start over.

It3ration

Everyone that I talk to says one of two things. Some confidently say "Oh yeah, I know how to solve the cube", but they use some primitive beginner method. The others say "I used to peel the stickers off and put them on the right pieces." I've never understood this second response, as it'd be a heck of a lot easier to just take the cube apart and put it back together, not actually take the stickers off.

Sir E Brum

WCA
2010HANN01
"I used to peel the stickers off and put them on the right pieces." I've never understood this second response, as it'd be a heck of a lot easier to just take the cube apart and put it back together, not actually take the stickers off.

Every time I hear that response, I tell them they could just take the pieces out. They response with something along the lines of "I didn't even know that was possible!"

daniel0731ex

once there's a guy in my school told me that im not doing it right because i'd memorize the steps. he then said that he could solve it, so i was like "yeah right, show me"

annd then he sub-20'ed

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i had one guy tell me that he used to be able to do it in 30 seconds, but cant do it anymore. And when I pressed them on details of the procedure he actually said that he cant remember. I didnt push more after that because it was pretty obvious to me that the guy was an idiot, and i didnt wish to embarrass him in front of everyone, but... it was a funny encounter :)

Why not?

rahulkadukar

WCA
2009KADU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I only hate it when I solving the cube, some random person comes up and says "I can do itttt, I can do it." And takes the cube. 5 minutes later, "YES IN YOUR FACE." I scramble then do a sub-20 solve. Just annoys me how they think I can't do it.

I also met a similar guy who said that he used to solve the cube when he was a kid, so I gave him my cube and after like 10 minutes he says the colors are not the same.:eek: Can you believe that.

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What I find funny is that people say the 2x2x2 is "way freakin' easier than the 3x3x3" -- then I give them mine and they have NO IDEA what they're doing, it's fun watching them get a side, look up with a grin, then figure out they have no idea how to solve the last layer.

Yeah, I know a few of my friends can use blockbuilding methods (I thought one of them used Petrus, then realized he couldn't solve last layer when he handed ME the cube, and I smiled XD) to get the first two layers, but they admit the last layer is real hard and hand it back to me to make some quick work of it (that same friend got within 3 pieces of solving -- the 3 corner swap + 2 "flipped" corners -- took him a half hour to get there, and I'm proud of him -- NO ALGS or nothin! XD).

I also find it funny how people say "You're STILL trying to solve that thing?" when I walk around the halls with a cube in my hands (usually scrambling / OH solving); even though it's a joke it still pushes my buttons :(

d4m4s74

WCA
2009ZALI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I usually have a 3x3 and a 2x2 in my pockets when I go with the bus

One time someone said he could solve it, so I l let him try and he did the Dan Brown method

then I gave him my 2x2 and he just couldn't finish the LL

I lold

Vulosity

YouTube
Visit Channel
People at my school refer the 2x2 as the " Cube with 4 squares".

There are 4-5 other cubers at my school, but they all learned form Dan Brown.