• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Setting Tension Issues

Weiseguy

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just ordered 2 old type A's from Puzzle Proz and am having a LOT of trouble getting the tension right.

Right now, I was using Pestvic's video of tightening everything until I could barely move the sides. Then I continually loosen little by little until it pops. That REALLY lets the first side move great, but then I move to the next side and it pops almost instantly.

Figuring it was because this side was all the way in while the other was out a lot, I retighten the first some more so I can loosen the 2nd. This continues until both sides are pretty stiff and I move to the third. It pops almost immediately, and I find myself tightening more.

basically, I have each side a little loose right now so I can turn the sides, but they are still REALLY tight and not at all smooth or cutting corners as I expected.

No I haven't lubed or broken it in yet, but I was told DIY's really didn't need to be broken in. Plus, my pieces had almost no imperfections.

(X)

WCA
2009GLOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
His guide is not that good, beacause an edge is not only held in place by one center its a combination of two centres, also if you tighten a screw it influences the opposite center a little bit, beacause you push all the centres between a little bit towards the opposite centre by tightening a screw.

Weiseguy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I didn't find it too helpful when this is my first DIY and I'm not too sure what to do. I tried doing Puzzleproz method he mentions in his forum of pulling the Top URF corner outword while holding the ULF corner to see the space. He says if you can see the edge of the corner, screw in some. If not, screw out some. This is kind of working, but hard to measure.

Any tips?

WCA
2008HERR01
Take out one edge, pop out the centers that correspond to that edge...turn that side, take out another center...just do this until they are all out, put the edge back in, solve it if you've scrambled it any, and then just set the tentions of each side until you like them (since the cube it assembled, you can test right after you set the tension). After you are done, put in the center caps.

P.S. - don't follow Pestvic's video too much...just tune it to how you think it should feel, it doesn't matter if it pops.

Weiseguy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, it does matter if it pops because I will be speedcubing with this quite a bit.

I decided to just loosen a little so I could turn the faces decently. Then I lubed it because of boredom and it turns like a dream. It's amazing what that PuzzlePro lube can do.

Both of my cubes are done now, awesome stuff.

Thanks for the help

Weiseguy

YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought it was awesome. It came out of the syringe thing SUPER fast and I wasted some, but otherwise its good. It even smells decent, lol.

Its the exact same thing as Rubik's brand lube, just his name instead. I think he buys it in bulk, puts into his own bottles, lol.

Its liquid silicon basically.