• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Fridrich F2L Intuitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

julesv

Well, a week ago I saw my friend at school do it and he vaguely explained it to me. I got the concept and i can use it in basic cases, but I'd need a tutorial. Don't send me to badmephisto or another video because I'm on holidays and I forgot my phones! ANy written tutorials? Thanks....

julesv

Hahahahaha letmegooglethatfoyou.com will come in handy soon... But try the link yourself. Endless lists of youtube videos...

bamman1108

IMO badmephisto's F2L video was explained very well.

If you can wait until you can use a computer, use his tutorial.

All I can say is:
Make sure the cross is on the bottom of the cube

Insert a corner and see which piece on the top layer moves into the "slot", or piece above it.

The goal is to move the correct 2nd layer piece into that spot, flipped so that it is solved when you solve the corner.

To move the edge without moving the corner, "hide" the corner by using a F or R rotation to move the piece to the bottom layer, then move the top layer until the edge is in the correct spot. (Be careful! Once you solve a slot, make sure that the slot doesn't move when you hide the piece!)

If the edge is flipped the wrong way (the top sticker on the corner and the top sticker on the edge are the same), hide the piece and rotate the edge so that when you unhide the corner, the two pieces form a "pair". It looks like a slot, but not in the solved position.

For pairs, when the white sticker (or whatever sticker you solved the cross with) is on the right, you must hide it with a R layer rotation move (when the piece is in the bottom right of the top layer). When the white sticker is in front, you must hide it with a front layer rotation.

When the white sticker is on top, you must match the edge so that the sticker on the front is matched with the correct center. Then, twist the face the "wrong way". For example, if blue is in front and red on top, rotate the U layer to the blue center, and hide it so the red face matches the orange center (the opposite center). Then, move the corner on top of the piece, and the pair is formed when you unhide it.

To solve a pair, rotate the U face until the corner is directly above the position you want it to go (white red and blue corner goes in between the red and blue centers), and perform one of these algorithms:

If the edge is on the right side: U R U' R'

If it is in front: U' F' U F

MichaelErskine

Premium Member
WCA
2008ERSK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's going to be hard to get it across as well as badmephisto in his YouTube tutorials! If you happen by a book store, look out for Dan Harris's book "Speedsolving the Cube" which has a large section on Fridrich F2L including decent coverage of how to recognise and apply the "pair-up and insert" techniques from all angles. I know that Waterstones have it in some of their stores.

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got Dan Harris's book a while ago, it's amazing. I learned Fridrich from it, and how to solve a 4x4x4 from it. Unfortunately, he doesn't teach BLD or intuitive F2L. He shows algorithms for all 42 (or 41, without solved case) cases.

MichaelErskine

Premium Member
WCA
2008ERSK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Unfortunately, he doesn't teach BLD or intuitive F2L. He shows algorithms for all 42 (or 41, without solved case) cases.
Hmm, check page 72: "3x3x3 Expert Techniques -- Pair Up and Insert". This section describes intuitive F2L albeit after the section teaching the F2L algorithms. Personally I'm not adept at learning algorithms so I consider intuitive F2l to be an easy alternative!

bundat

IMO, the best way to learn intuitive F2L... is by algorithm F2L.
Sounds weird, I know, but that's how I learned it (in like a few days) without memorizing any algorithms (almost).

http://www.cosine-systems.com/cubestation/cs2/3x3x3/cfop/f2l/f2lprintablepage1.php
http://www.cosine-systems.com/cubestation/cs2/3x3x3/cfop/f2l/f2lprintablepage2.php

Just print it out, and look for a specific case, and instead of memorizing it, analyze how it works. It should be easy enough (except for algs that "destroy the cross, move the cross edge piece around in the U layer, and magically form it again"... just memo the alg in that case or find your own solution). Soon enough you'll understand it enough that you won't need the guide anymore.

This way is best IMO, because it prevents you from creating F2L "solutions" that make many wasted unnecessary moves. i.e. it keeps your move count down.

Sir E Brum

WCA
2010HANN01
IMO, the best way to learn intuitive F2L... is by algorithm F2L.
Sounds weird, I know, but that's how I learned it (in like a few days) without memorizing any algorithms (almost).

http://www.cosine-systems.com/cubestation/cs2/3x3x3/cfop/f2l/f2lprintablepage1.php
http://www.cosine-systems.com/cubestation/cs2/3x3x3/cfop/f2l/f2lprintablepage2.php

Just print it out, and look for a specific case, and instead of memorizing it, analyze how it works. It should be easy enough (except for algs that "destroy the cross, move the cross edge piece around in the U layer, and magically form it again"... just memo the alg in that case or find your own solution). Soon enough you'll understand it enough that you won't need the guide anymore.

This way is best IMO, because it prevents you from creating F2L "solutions" that make many wasted unnecessary moves. i.e. it keeps your move count down.

That's actually what I did. I used the algorithms for F2L to see WHAT the algorithms did and I learned from that.

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Unfortunately, he doesn't teach BLD or intuitive F2L. He shows algorithms for all 42 (or 41, without solved case) cases.
Hmm, check page 72: "3x3x3 Expert Techniques -- Pair Up and Insert". This section describes intuitive F2L albeit after the section teaching the F2L algorithms. Personally I'm not adept at learning algorithms so I consider intuitive F2l to be an easy alternative!

I agree. Pair up and insert should be in the section about F2L, not in the next chapter, in my opinion.

julesv

I think I will get some headphones and see badmephistos stuff... I'll probably get Dan Harris' book when I get back to London

Status
Not open for further replies.