• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Music and the Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think you guys probably have cubed while listening to music one time or the other. I feel that it gives cubing a whole new dimension...and different experience to it. When the music gives some sort of emotion, and cubing seemed to connect to the music somehow. I was cubing (simulator) while my mom was playing the piano. And my head was just thinking over different experiences...and combining that with the music, it seems like I'm subconsciously cubing...looking ahead...very fast. I kinda knew exactly what moves to do next, looking ahead...and had almost no delays (9s and 10s...until the computer kinda lagged. Cube high?

What about your experiences with cube and music?

-Harris

bonhomme

I realized that during my resolutions I was thinking about a lot of things (the cat, the dog, the car, the job....) So not really some music, but I tried to put a song in my head. It keeps me concentrated and give me a rythm... About 4/5 seconds less on all resolutions. :p

Jason Baum

WCA
2005BAUM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I find that listening to music changes my cubing experience as well. For some reason, I seem to get slightly better times whenever I listen to Jimmy Eat World. I've actually set quite a few of my best averages while listening to them. It is probably a sub conscious thing though. Also, if I am listening to a certain CD and cubing poorly, I will listen to something else and my times will improve. Pretty weird.

Another cool thing is that if I'm listening to something that I'm really familiar with, I can often sing along while cubing and my times aren't affected, haha.

Me

WCA
2006WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i always start averages off by listening to some sort of epic song, like Eye of the Tiger, the Chariots of Fire theme, or some incredible yet vague fast paced techno my friend gave me.

deKeijzer

Originally posted by Jason Baum@May 5 2007, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I find that listening to music changes my cubing experience as well. For some reason, I seem to get slightly better times whenever I listen to Jimmy Eat World. I've actually set quite a few of my best averages while listening to them. It is probably a sub conscious thing though. Also, if I am listening to a certain CD and cubing poorly, I will listen to something else and my times will improve. Pretty weird.

Another cool thing is that if I'm listening to something that I'm really familiar with, I can often sing along while cubing and my times aren't affected, haha.
Got that singing thing as well, I guess it`s another part of your brain so you can do it at the same time.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I read Chris Hardwick needs "angry" music to achieve his fastest blindfolded solves though.

Haha I just read this, and yes it is true that I often BLD cube to loud, and often angry, music. It's not so much that I need it, more that I want something to try to distract me. I also sometimes BLD cube with my alarm clock going off the whole time too, in addition to the music.

Trust me if you can solve a cube blindfolded with music blaring and an alarm clock going off, solving in perfect silence is like Heaven.

All of my personal best BLD times are achieved in perfect silence though, so the music doesn't help my times, in fact it usually hurts. But I prefer to practice with having to fight through distractions than to get used to always cubing in silence and be bothered by distractions when they do happen.

Chris

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by cmhardw@May 8 2007, 06:27 PM
I read Chris Hardwick needs "angry" music to achieve his fastest blindfolded solves though.

Haha I just read this, and yes it is true that I often BLD cube to loud, and often angry, music.
Rage against the Machine? I'll BLD to them, when I can BLD!

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also prefer listening to hard music at my bld solves. i think i'm faster at memorization than in perfect silence, but i'm not sure. At normal solves it doesn't matter if i listen to music or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.