• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwatkins

bwatkinsE said:
Epic noob question, as everything i know is self taught im not down on the jargon yet.

What is AUF? And could you give an example?
Two questions:

What does it mean when you get "ninja'd" or something along the lines? I see people saying "EDIT: Ninja'd" and I'm just like :confused:

What does AUF stand for?

*Sigh* I'm preparing to :fp myself.

I'm not sure what ninja'd means either but AUF is adjust U-face.

:fp That was from this very thread, two pages ago. Honestly, did you even bother checking anywhere for this answer? I'll give an example of AUF. U. Here's another: U'. Oh, one more: U2.

Exxcuse me for missing the earlier post. The meaning/application was unclear to me, no need to be an a**.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
When someone posts in the competition thread, if they have a bad solve, they call it "a stinking counting 5" or something like that. What is counting?
In an average of 5 or 12 the fastest and slowest times are discarded and an average of the rest taken. For example;

(19)
(30)

The 29 second solve would have to be included in the average, bumping it up by alot.

lilkdub503

WCA
2010WARR01
When someone posts in the competition thread, if they have a bad solve, they call it "a stinking counting 5" or something like that. What is counting?
In an average of 5 or 12 the fastest and slowest times are discarded and an average of the rest taken. For example;

(19)
(30)

The 29 second solve would have to be included in the average, bumping it up by alot.

That didn't really answer my question. I know about a5, a12, and even a100; check my signature. Many times, I see the averages, and the 3 or 10 times included are within the same consistent range, but the (time here) signifying the worst time is referred to as the "counting" time. What does counting mean, or am I just answering my own question?

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What could be considered the fastest V/Y/E/N Perm algorithm?

Do you mean:

a: On the 3x3x3, which one of those 4 algs can be executed in the shortest amount of time?

or b: Which algorithm for permuting two corners only (without disturbing the other corners) can be executed in the shortest amount of time?

or c: Something else....

Hyprul 9-ty2

WCA
2009XIAT02
YouTube
Visit Channel

(19)
(30)

That didn't really answer my question. I know about a5, a12, and even a100; check my signature. Many times, I see the averages, and the 3 or 10 times included are within the same consistent range, but the (time here) signifying the worst time is referred to as the "counting" time. What does counting mean, or am I just answering my own question?
Counting "XXX" means that its a time that affects your average.
So by that example, "I got a bloody counting 29, screwed up my average.". He means the 29 was a bad time but still not his worst, so it was still included in the average, thus counting.

aronpm

For me, a counting solve is any solve in an average which is not (or will not be) the best or the worst.

But doesn't every solve in an average count/matter?

Yes, even the lowest/highest times matter, because they still basically provide limits for the rest of the average.

As an example: You get (19), (24), 22, 19.5. The average so far is 20.75. For the average to be under 20, you need 22 + 19.5 + x < 60, so x < 18.5 But if you get an 18.5, that would be the lowest solve, and it would make the 19 count. So, it would be impossible to get a sub-20 average with those first four solves. It is interesting that they still matter even though they don't count :p

(R)

I have a question, how are mods/ administrators selected? I do not want to be one, I just want to know if they did something special on the forum, or they are just friends of an andministrantor ( man this is coming out wrong)
Just wanted to know

miniGOINGS

Do you mean:

a: On the 3x3x3, which one of those 4 algs can be executed in the shortest amount of time?

or b: Which algorithm for permuting two corners only (without disturbing the other corners) can be executed in the shortest amount of time?

or c: Something else....

I'm looking for the shortest/fastest 2LPLL algorithm for diagonal corners. This way I'll be able to do 3LLL for ZZ, then I'll learn COLL and have a 2LLL no matter what. The Y Perm looks pretty good though.

otsyke

are official scrambles (used in competitions) stored or saved somewhere?
If, for example, i want to try my "official" solves again, do I have any way to get the scrambles?

Thanks.

Ryanrex116

WCA
2008JEWR01
If, for example, i want to try my "official" solves again, do I have any way to get the scrambles?

Thanks.

They are not stored anywhere, but some competition organizers save the scrambles and post them on their websites. So it really depends which competition you went to.

miniGOINGS

Is there an edge pairing method (for the 4x4) that would allow edges to be oriented correctly?

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Thanks.

They are not stored anywhere, but some competition organizers save the scrambles and post them on their websites. So it really depends which competition you went to.

I'll give an example.
At the Stanford Fall 2009 competition at Stanford University, the scrambles that were used have been compiled in a .pdf by Lucas Garron and they are available on the competition website.
At the Thankscubing 2009 competition, there are no published scrambles.

miniGOINGS

Are your times better when you scream, shout, or yell? I was just wondering this, I would be really interested in seeing the results. If you wanted to, you could do 10 solves, make the odd numbered ones into an average of 5, make the even ones into an average of 5, and then compare them.

Did anyone try this? I would really love to know the results and may try this later tonight.

I'll try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.