• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

cincyaviation

WCA
2010HOVL02
I just ordered a Square-1 and it's my first one. What is a good method to start with? A tutorial would be great too. I also ordered some 2x2s so I need a good method for that. What would be an equivalent path from beginner's method to speedsolving method for 2x2? Like for 3x3 it may be Beginner's LBL-->F2L with Beginner's LL-->F2L+4-look LL-->F2L+PLL=2LOLL-->Full Fridrich. That's a progression into Fridrich but would 2x2 look something more like Fridrich corners LBL-->Ortega-->????
Roux is a really good SQ-1 beginners method. For 2x2, learn PBL for ortega. Then i would advise you to learn guimond. After that, it's up to you whether you want to get into SS/CLL/other advanced methods.

AvidCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yea I know I don't need to learn LBL it's just using OCLL's and a few PLL's. What exactly is CLL?
It stands for Corners of Last Layer, and it's just where you orient and permute all the LL corners with one alg. I think there are around 41 algs, but don't quote me on that. A lot of people use it for 2x2x2, but it's also used in some other methods.

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
How long does it take to go from Ortega to something like EG? A few months of decent practice? I also don't know any Roux. I know the concept and the steps but not how to do it or how it applies to a Square-1. I watched TheWestonians Square-1 tutorial and it was pretty simple so I was going to start with that and then advance on.

It stands for Corners of Last Layer, and it's just where you orient and permute all the LL corners with one alg. I think there are around 41 algs, but don't quote me on that. A lot of people use it for 2x2x2, but it's also used in some other methods.

Do they all apply to 3x3? What are the more common 2x2 intermediate methods? CPLS is one right?

mr. giggums

WCA
2011BERN02
(video) I was looking around the cubers from my country and found this video of a 4x4 solve.
At 0:25 suddenly the edges and centers are solved and solver proceeds to 3x3 phase.
What method was he solving with?

I'm pretty sure that he is cheating. What he did was mix up the cube like a 3x3 and then when scrambled he scrambled it like a 2x2 and solved it like a 2x2 then 3x3. You'll notice that there is no edge pairring.

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
I'm pretty sure that he is cheating. What he did was mix up the cube like a 3x3 and then when scrambled he scrambled it like a 2x2 and solved it like a 2x2 then 3x3. You'll notice that there is no edge pairring.

That makes so much sense. As centers finished edge pairing was skipped and the odds of that are(insert insanely high number here). I was suspicious but that does look like the likely explanation.

stinkocheeze

Does the Mini-Qj 4x4x4 have screws? Currently mine is really loose and I can't find any screws in it. Let me know thanks

Yes but only one side. Try red? It is in the center of the core, so try cutting centers and you should be able to see it. Make sure to be careful, they break pretty easily.

TiLiMayor

WCA
2011VARG01
YouTube
Visit Channel

That makes so much sense. As centers finished edge pairing was skipped and the odds of that are(insert insanely high number here). I was suspicious but that does look like the likely explanation.

Ye, that was my second thought I kinda needed to confirm with some of yuu people, the second time I watched it I noticed some editing like mistakes so I insisted in my question, now I know Its not just me.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
How exactly are multi blind rankings determined?
I assume it's a combination of time, cubes solved and target.
It just seems strange to me that more cubes solved within the hour can rank lower than less cubes but closer to the target.
WCA multi blind results

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
half accuracy half time maybe?

EDIT: i think ive worked it out say person x get 10/10 and person y gets 10/11(both with the same tie just for convienience bbut tie does have a say) person x gets 10 points and person y gets only 9 points becuse you subtract the amount person y got unsolved(one) away from the amount he got right (10) and you get 9 points so for example if i got 12/16 i would only get 8 points.

i dont know for sure but its works for the top 50 or so(im too tired to check any more)

Last edited:

aronpm

How exactly are multi blind rankings determined?
I assume it's a combination of time, cubes solved and target.
It just seems strange to me that more cubes solved within the hour can rank lower than less cubes but closer to the target.
WCA multi blind results

Since blakedacuber can barely type English I will answer:

World Cube Association Regulations said:
9f16) For the Rubik's Cube: Multiple Blindfolded event the order in the results is based on number of puzzles solved minus the number of puzzles not solved (higher is better). If the result is lower than 0, the solve is disqualified.
If competitors have the same result, then the order is based on total time (lower is better).

Status
Not open for further replies.