• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

*LukeMayn*

WCA
2009MAYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Read before posting.

Search before posting a question.
The "search thread" tool in this thread can be used to see if someone already asked a similar question here. Depending on the question, you may also find answers on the Speedsolving Wiki, or in other threads. If you have questions about WCA competitions, you'll likely find answers under the official regulations. This thread isn’t the only place to ask simple questions, see if your question belongs in one of these threads first:

Be clear with your questions.
Questions are easier to answer if they are clear, so be as clear as you can with your questions. If you want to add something to your question, or you want to clarify it, use the "Edit Post" tool instead of making a new post.

Use titles in question posts when appropriate.
You can add a title to a post using "Go Advanced". It adds the title in bold at the top of the post. Titles are useful especially for long questions.

Delete your original post when you bump your question.
When a question gets buried without a sufficient answer, you can bump it, but you should delete the old post first. Be patient when you're waiting for an answer, and don't continuously bump your question just to get it on the newest page. Wait at least three days before bumping a question.

Quote the question you're answering.
Use the "Reply with Quote" button when you're answering a question. Not only does this make it obvious what you're answering, it makes it easy to find the question (click on the "[>>]" in the quote and it'll bring you to the original post).

Don't answer unless you are certain.
Remember that worthless replying is against the Forum Rules. If you have a guess, don't post it unless your reply is actually useful to the person who asked the question. Also, don't just camp around in the thread answering any questions you come across that you *think* you know the answer to.

Remove ninja'd replies instead of editing in "edit: ninja'd".
If you get ninja’d to a reply, delete your reply entirely unless it provides more information that what others have already mentioned or it improves and/or corrects another answer.

No side conversations
Anything that isn't either a question or a good answer doesn't belong in the thread. If you have any follow up questions, or feel the need to carry a conversation regarding something in the thread, just use Private Messaging.

Don't post "this belongs in the OAQT" in other question threads.
If you think a question that has a separate thread belongs in the OAQT, report the thread so that a mod can decide if it should be merged or not. If a thread gets merged into the OAQT and there's a "should've use the OAQT" post that goes unnoticed, all it does is add confusion. If you see these kinds of posts, report them so they can be deleted.

If you have any questions about these rules, please discuss them here.

Last edited:

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's my question: Which is better for speedcubing, Eastsheen 4x4 or Meffert's 4x4?

Personally I'd say eastsheen

if someone disagrees, comment

how many layers does a megaminx have?

Have you ever used a Meffert's? Every I know who has one and has broken it in say they are far superior to ES or any other cube. Dan, Erik, and a number of other great cubers all use them as their main 4x4s now. Both white and black are good, but black needs more breaking in.

also, a megaminx doesn't have layers.

SRV

Ok, nice thread!!!!

I know DNF is Did Not Finish

DNS means Did Not Start??? Why would a competitor not start???(Ok 2 questions)

I saw DNS at the WCA site....

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, nice thread!!!!

There are many reasons why a competitor might not start. Just some possibilities:
1. The competitor's puzzle broke on the previous solve, and they no longer have a valid puzzle to compete with.
2. The competitor realized they were taking much longer than everyone else at solving, and decided to stop competing in the event to make it easier on the organizers.
3. The competitor just wanted to be able to say they had completed a solve for that event in competition, and after completing one, was entirely too exhausted to try another attempt.

Actually, all of the above have happened with my daughters. :)

YouTube
Visit Channel
how many layers does a megaminx have?

I know it technically doesn't have layers, but I usually think of it as having a bottom layer, lower middle layer, upper middle layer, and top layer.

Anyway I've looked for the answer to this, and i really couldn't find anything, and the WCA isn't really too clear about it, but sorry if im completely oblivious to something:

Are black tiles/stickers legal in competitions??? because my fav cube is white so i have one side black instead of having white on white.

i really didnt think that question needed a thread of its own so im glad that i stumbled upon this thread:)

Last edited:

TomZ

Ok, nice thread!!!!

When people do big cubes BLD, they usually get two attempts, but feel like doing only one. The second result will be DNS. Other cases were a DNS can be given is when a competitor doesn't show up for a solve.

@GaroMaster1337: Yes, you can have any color stickers you want.

Last edited:

Zeroknight

IYO (in your opinion), which method has the best future?

EDIT: This should be stickied

*LukeMayn*

WCA
2009MAYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
GaroMaster: No, stickying something would make it always be at the top of the thread with "welcome, please read prior to posting" and such.

Zero: Ummm... Probably Fridrich :/
Wait on second thoughts, maybe Petrus or Roux but not many people have pushed it at all...

YouTube
Visit Channel
lol a lil off topic but o well :p with the terran u can quickly get one or preferably two barracks about half-way across the map and send out some marines right off the bat and you can kill the zerg before they can get any (or veery few) units created :D
(im not saying that this is guaranteed to work but it usually does)

minsarker

for the terran make a quick bunker and itll stop zerglings, with protoss make quick zealots I guess

if there is an opening like on Lost Temple, put 2 zealots on "hold" at the entrance, make sure they are on hold this way they kill any zerglings coming in. If your terran with an opening, place a barracks and a bunker to create a blockade.

mcciff2112

WCA
2009MCCA01
how many different color schemes do you have on your cubes?
(ex. black instead of white, purple instead of orange on an ES...ect.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.