• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosWZ

Winter Variation?

I've been looking around a lot lately at the Winter Variation, I'm learning the algorithms as I cube but I'm looking for 2-gen versions of them, preferably RU 2-gen.
If anyone has some I'd really appreciate it.

On a side note, does anyone have a program to create 2-gen algorithms so I can find these myself and just post them later?

http://absolutemind.pagesperso-orange.fr/f2ll-angl.htm
These are the ones I've been using so far

cubernya

Premium Member
The ones you are using are good ones. All the cases are solvable <R,U> in theory, since all the OCLL cases can be solves <R,U>, and the insert is R U' R'. How long the algs would be I have no idea, but I know it's possible.

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
it dose not madder your times it will help you get under a min.
No. Learning full OLL and PLL will definitely not get him under a minute. As he said, F2L takes up a large portion of his solves, so he should work on that rather than spending a month learning some algs that might shave a few seconds off his time.

can someone give me a page that shows all posable ways to get the Square-1 back into cube shape if there is one.
http://www.alchemistmatt.com/cube/square1list.html#78

I'm not sure if this shows all the possible shapes, but it should show most of them.

S

Sahid Velji

Should i learn ZZ?
Sure, I think any method would help with your main method. If you plan to make ZZ your main method though, I personally think it will take a long time before you get back to your original times.

mhmh

How long before I get sub1min on a 3x3? I've been cubing just shy of 2 months and do 20-30 solves a day. My average rite now is 75 seconds. I'm learning intuitive f2l and 2 look oll & pll. Also how quick can I get with 2 look? Thanks

Hi, I've been cubing for about a month now, I used to be in the same boat as you and if you want to shave off the most time definitely practice your f2l. What I did is use a metronome to improve my lookahead (im a musician so I happen to have a few around, but there are plenty online and whatnot), I started slow and did one turn on each beat and then slowly got faster, this helped my lookahead tremendously and also made my solves smoother. This worked really well for me as I went from an 80 second average to my 50 second average that I'm at now in only a few days.
Good Luck :)

I was planning to learn EJF2L since I use ZZ. It orients one D-Layer corner while simultaneously orienting corners of the last layer, using 2 gen algs. I wanted to know, if I inserted 2/3/4 corners misoriented, how many algs would it require to orient all the corners of the cube? Would the algs be 2 gen if I had 2 twisted corners, and placed them on the right side with a D/D'/D2 turn? ...

asuming there are exactly two adjacent D-corners placed but missoriented
1 * 2 (4 oriented top noparity)
2 * 2 (3 oriented top parity)
2 * 2 (2 adj. oriented top noparity)
2 * 2 (2 adj. oriented top parity)
1 * 2 (2 diag. oriented top noparity)
2 * 2 (2 diag. oriented top parity)
2 * 2 (1 oriented top noparity)
2*3*2 (1 oriented top parity)
2 * 2 (0 oriented top noparity)
2*2 (0 oriented top parity)
= 44 CASES

al this can be done 2-gen.

... could be a nice Petrus variation if replacing petrus step 1 and 2 with "Step 1: build a 3x2x2 with misoriented corners"

For the diagonal case the number of algs is the same, but joining two 9-move CLS should work also ( not sure it's always possible with two ninemovers)

EDIT: some exsample algs
R U' R U' R U2 R U' R U' R (11)
R' U2 R' U2 B R' U2 R' U2 R B' R2 (12)
R U' R U R2 U2 R' U' R U R' U R2 (13)

Last edited:

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
when doing EOLine for ZZ, on the 2 FL and FR edges in the E slice, how do you know if they are oriented or missoriented?

These edges are misoriented if either:
1) The F sticker is the L or R colour
or
2) The F sticker is the F or B colour AND the L/R sticker is the U or D colour

This applies to the BR and BL edges too, just replace Fs with Bs above for them.

WCA
2010WOMA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
question: will this puzzle be allowed at a Competition if it has one side unstickered and if it has Smaz stile stickers where the stickers are bordering the part example of what im talking about

http://iq-puzzle.com.hk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=292

example for unstickered side is if you have a solid red dayan cube and only put the White,Yellow,Green,Blue,and Orange set on and left red side unstickered.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueDevil

WCA
2011LOWR01
ok

question: will this puzzle be allowed at a Competition if it has one side unstickered and if it has Smaz stile stickers where the stickers are bordering the part example of what im talking about

http://iq-puzzle.com.hk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=292

example for unstickered side is if you have a solid red dayan cube and only put the White,Yellow,Green,Blue,and Orange set on and left red side unstickered.

I'm not sure, you can interpret the two regulations below. I'm having the most issues with the bolded word in 3e

The two regulations that apply:
3d) Puzzles must either have coloured stickers, coloured tiles, textures or painted colours.
3e) The colours of puzzles must be solid, the same per colour, and clearly distinct from other colours.

mDiPalma

i use ZZ on 3x3 to its easy for me to see misoriented edges.

on 4x4, after i reduce everything to a 3x3, i sometimes see there are an odd number of misoriented edges>>>parity.

is there an alg (shorter than the OLL parity one) that can help me flip just 1 misoriented edge pair early on in the solve, when im not worried about preserving the permutation of the rest of the cube?

in other words, is there a short OLL parity alg that only preserves centers and edge pairs but is allowed to screw up the rest of the cube? thanks.

tozies24

WCA
2010TOZI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why is every thread that is being created right now either: introduction, how can I get sub-X, the (insert object here) thread, or something else that is pointless? I haven't seen many actually good threads as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.