• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Your Parents and Cubing

HASH-CUBE

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi all :)

I thought t discuss this, What would ur parent (or family) think of u beeing a speedcuber, i mean do they encorage u on it, or not

what are there thoughts about rubik's cube anyway?

for me, non of my family encorages me on speedcubing... even they wouldn't let me go to competitions (if there is) because they think it's a waist of time

my dad encorages me ya, but the rest are not

waiting for ur posts :)...

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
my mom doesn't really care at all about cubing, but she doesn't have anything against it :p to her its just another weird thing I'm into

my dad however wanted to learn to solve the cube after he realized how fun it can be (he enjoys watching the cubers at the competition I go to). He carries a mini key-chain cube around, and he's learning the last layer

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I'm 27, so it's really up to me now, but my parents encourage it.

Back in the early 80's my Dad was a speedcuber, he ordered a magic cube in 1979 from Hungary and he managed to do 2 layers. A year or so later he caved in and ordered a solution from a magazine advert. When the cube was available in the UK my Dad could already solve it and he even earnt money from pub bets as people could not believe it could be done. He got down to sub 30 and then the craze faded away. He told me he also did a bet where he solved it behind his back but was allowed to look at the cube 4 times during the solve.

My dad's well pleased I've got into cubing and is thinking of trying it again himself.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm 46, and my parents tolerate it. Probably mainly because they're proud of their grandchildren being able to cube so well. :) Also because being able to attend cubing competitions (Virginia Opens) has encouraged us to come visit them a couple of times.

As for my kids - we actively encourage our kids to cube. (But we don't push it on them - my kids have barely touched a cube since the Indiana Open.) I think my kids sometimes think I cube too much.

(X)

WCA
2009GLOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My familly encourage me, my Mom have paid for the trip to my first comp :D(norwegian open 09, 14.feb.)

But they hate the clicking sound, so I am only allowed to cube in my room, and they don't understand what I need "all" my cubes for (5)

HASH-CUBE

YouTube
Visit Channel
my friend always the same type "Put that thing away" :d

Mr. Mike Hughey , it is an honor to see u replay here :) i saw u solving the 7x7x7 BLD and was amazed!

i hope i can be like u one day :)

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My dad gets sick of seeing me spend money on cubes, but neither of my parents are really against it or for it, I mean, they let me go to competitions and stuff. My friends can get irritated at times though, I usually just don't bring cubes with me when I go to see non-cubing friends.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm 46, and my parents tolerate it. Probably mainly because they're proud of their grandchildren being able to cube so well. :) Also because being able to attend cubing competitions (Virginia Opens) has encouraged us to come visit them a couple of times.

As for my kids - we actively encourage our kids to cube. (But we don't push it on them - my kids have barely touched a cube since the Indiana Open.) I think my kids sometimes think I cube too much.

You are probably one of very few people that doesn't tell his children to do other things than cube, but gets told by his children that he should do other things than cube :D

If you read this, Marie or Rebecca, stop your father from cubing

Laetitia

WCA
2007LEMO01
I don't know what my parents think exactly about cubing.

On one hand, they sometimes say things like "you should do more maths and less cubing", on the other hand, they know better than me my results in competition and show to all my family videos of me solving megaminx^^

Ah, and they don't really like when I do competitions because a week-end where there is a competition is a week-end where they don't see me (and I study in another city, so I go back to my parent's about once a month).

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My friends like cubing or are neutral. Teachers hate it. Parents want me to go to near by competitions (<3hours), but that does not stop them from robbing me of my cubes and smashing them when they get angry. They promised to get me a V-cube set and send me to any competition in the summer once I get a good score on the SAT and AP exams, we'll see later...

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My dad gets sick of seeing me spend money on cubes, but neither of my parents are really against it or for it, I mean, they let me go to competitions and stuff. My friends can get irritated at times though, I usually just don't bring cubes with me when I go to see non-cubing friends.
Noncubing friends......:eek::confused:

...Which is almost all of my friends that live around here except for one. >.<

Henrik

WCA
2006BUUS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My family became a cibing family after I brought home the cube from the states in '04.
My dad still cant solve it but my mom and sister can. They helped me at both the Danish competitions and they came to my first competition in Germany in '06.
And they kinda say wow to my new PB's after I tell them how fast that is compare to my old record.
I also got my GF a cube, she can solve it but I do think she wants me to spend more time with her than my cubes. So the cube is on a ban from my side when she is around, but it is hard to even keep my own rules :S