• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SquareOneSim

jfly

WCA
2005FLEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know if off-topic is the best place for this. Maybe there could be a forum for cubing software discussion?

anyway, I'm very proud to announce this project I've been working on. It's a Square One simulator in the style of Ryan Heise's awesome speedcubing simulator. I need help finding bugs and would love advice regarding the default key layout (the keys are customizable!). The current one is pretty redundant, and is basically a square one port of the cube simulator.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jfly/projects/applets/SquareOneSim/

If you like this, you should check out my cuboid simulator too :).

Feature requests are welcome as well. It's 7:00 AM where I am and I haven't slept, so goodnight!

Ryanrex116

WCA
2008JEWR01
That was a really good simulator. I had a little trouble using keys instead of the mouse, but I will customize the keys later.

MTGjumper

WCA
2008CRAW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Seems nice, but it doesn't suit me because I can't type fast :p. I'm interested to see how fast a good square-1 solver who's used to computer cubes can go.

Michael Gottlieb, care to step up?

Last edited:

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you so much!!!!!
I'm shocked by how awesome it is.
I used to do very little square1 because I suck at it, but I love Ryanheise style puzzles, so this is perfect! I'll get into this immediately and try to reduce my times by half.
I'm also a slow typer, but I type fast when cubing.

Michael Gottlieb, I know you can sub-20 it. :D

edit: Does it come with a timer?

Last edited:

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the problem with the poor scrambling can be fixed by lengthening the default scramble. I have just been pressing the scramble button 4-5 times to get it thorough, but doing it automatically would be nice, and an easy fix most likely.

And obviously, fully customizable keys and a timer are good, but what youve done so far is great.

jfly

WCA
2005FLEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, I've added a new type of turn. Something like [1, 0] means 1 legal rotation on top. This type of turn probably works better for sq1, as it never makes sense to stop in a position where you can't do a slash. I've also added a timer. It will only start when the cube is in an unsolved position. Just press enter. It will stop when you either scramble the cube again, or when you solve it.

edit: First timed solve! 145.66 seconds. Gah, help me create a better key layout!

Last edited:

watermelon

WCA
2007STER01
Wow Jeremy, that's very impressive! Do you mind if I ask if you used Java's 3D classes or just 2D with some math (I'm guessing the former)? Also, you might want to make the / turns as well as the cube rotations available in caps lock, so that you don't have to keep releasing shift or pressing caps lock to do those.

Last edited:

jfly

WCA
2005FLEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks! I'm using java 2d with some math. I wrote the (very bare bones) 3d engine myself.
Regarding your suggestions, I can do you one better. If the capital version of a key is not defined, the simulator will fall back to the lowercase version.
With the new key layout, I managed a 99.48 first try. I'm liking it more and more. Any suggestions on more default keys? I like the idea of having a (+-6, 0) and (0, +-6), but I'm not sure where to put them. Any ideas?
85.125 second try. 63.656 third. What are you guys getting?

Last edited:

Pedro

WCA
2007GUIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll try this layout:
2znzgye.jpg

but my algs are pretty much all in muscle memory :D can't do them on the simulator

EDIT:
wait, Jeremy changed it o_O
there's no (0,1) anymore, just [0,1]?
hmm...I think I prefer this...

got a 248.xx, but I had to get my real square-1 to figure out some algs :D messed up edge orientation like 3 times

Last edited:

jfly

WCA
2005FLEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One good way to scramble it yourself is to spam the keys SDF and JKL. Works but the scramble is not accepted since it started from the solved state.

What do you mean by the scramble is not accepted? Pressing enter to start the timer will work anytime the puzzle is not solved, whether or not you scrambled it.

jfly

WCA
2005FLEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just uploaded a few changes to the square one simulator.

-Inspection starts automatically after scrambling. You can start solving at any point during inspection.
-I added a 2 layer Square 1 and a Square 2 variation to the simulator, just click on Options to change the puzzle variation.
This is my favorite variation: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jfly/projects/applets/SquareOneSim/?puzzle_variation=Square 2
-The keyboard layout and color scheme are now saved to cookies, so your settings last even when you close your browser.

Let me know if any of these things don't work for you. Enjoy!

Last edited: