• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Help on forming Beginner's LBL method for teaching

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello Everybody,

I would like to form a good, easy to learn beginner's method (that uses LBL) that I can teach to use in a video tutorial, or if I'm too lazy, just a method to teach to my friends. I have looked at many sources of beginner LBL method tutorials, and here they are:
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8335
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3660
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7756
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQIoPyfQzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofZFUgaxlTQ&feature=channel_page
http://www.rubiks.com/Academy/Tyson Video.aspx
http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rubikscubesolution.html
http://www.stanford.edu/~leyanlo/cube_solution.pdf
http://www.cubestation.co.uk/cs2/index.php?page=3x3x3/beginner/beginner
http://solvethecube.110mb.com/beginners.html

Here is the method I think is best for most beginners to learn. But that's my opinion. I want to know what you people think is best. I want to hear your ideas. I will list the method and then I will list the method again, explaining in greater detail why I think doing this step this way is best.

Step 1: Cross - Direct solving on U face, no "flower" shape
Step 2: Solve First Layer Corners - Solve on U face, using R' D' R D
Step 3: Solve Second Layer - Turn cube upside down, use F U F U F U' F' U' F' and F' U' F' U' F' U F U F
Step 4: Orient LL Edges - Using one algorithm, F R U R' U' F'
Step 5: Orient LL Corners - Use R' D' R D
Step 6: Permute LL Corners - Use one algorithm, T permutation
Step 7: Permute LL Edges, Use one algorithm, U Perm

Step 1: Cross - Direct solving on U Face, no "flower" shape
Most people teach beginner's the cross on the U face. Some people say that beginner's find solving the cross wit the "flower" shape better, but I think it's unnecessary. I mean, look how Dan Brown teaches the cross on the U face. He teaches it very well and to the point. I think a large majority of beginners can understand how to solve the cross using Dan Brown's explanation (there will always be a few people who don't understand something), so why not just teach how to solve the cross directly?

Step 2: Solve First Layer Corners - Solve on U face, using R' D' R D
I know a lot of people would be against this way of solving the corners on the U face. But think about it. Why do most people teach solving the cross on the U face? Because then the beginners could see where the pieces go after each edge piece is solved. I think most people would agree teaching a beginner how to solve the cross on the D face would be harder than solving the cross on the U face. Well can't you apply the same idea to first layer corners?

Also, if you taught someone how to solve the corners on the D face, there would be a problem. You would have tell them where the corner piece belongs when it's solved. When it's solved one color of the corner piece would be on the D layer. But unless you show them the D side, the person wouldn't see where the corner piece belongs. Even if you tell where the corner belongs by the three center pieces, you would still have to show them the D side. I've tried teaching people solving the corners this way and every time they have a hard time understand where the corner belongs when it's solved.

Step 3: Solve Second Layer - Turn cube upside down, use F U F U F U' F' U' F' and F' U' F' U' F' U F U F
This is pretty much R U R U R U' R' U' R' and R' U' R' U' R' U R U R but just done on the front face. I think putting the edge you want to solve on the right side gets confusing with "shooting" to the fton and back sides. Even if you do the RU alg's mirror in the L face it still gets confusing because you have to deal with cube rotations. If you just do it on the front face and "shoot" to the right or left edge slot, I think it's much easier. Of course you can use U R U' R' U' F' U F and the other algorithm for the left side but in my opinion, it's hard to remember. Even though the FU algorithm might be slow, this is made for the beginner to be able to solve the cube, not for speed.

Step 4: Orient LL Edges - Using one algorithm, F R U R' U' F
I think this is pretty straightforward. I only use one algorithm because all for 4 edges pieces can be solved in one algorithm and you want to try to give beginners the least amount of algorithms to memorize.

Step 5: Orient LL Corners - Use R' D' R D
Like solving the first layer corners, I think many people would be against orienting the corners using R' D' R D. But, I have a reason for choosing this. I think sune and anti-sune or just sune itself is too confusing for a large majoritiy of beginners. You have to teach them that you have to get one of the 7 corner OLLs to sune or anti-sune and then you have to tell them how the corner orientation is turned clockwise and... it's just too confusing for MOST beginners. Even if you apply "rules" like Arnaud Van Galen does in his tutorial, I think still think it's too much information for most beginners to remember. R' D' R D is very simple and even though it's slow, remember that this is just a beginner method. This is orienting the corners so it could be easy to switch to Fridrich or Petrus last layer.

Step 6: Permute LL Corners - Use one algorithm, T permutation
I pick T permutation because for most of the As, they require cube rotations. You could tell beginners to solve the A permutation by using the F and B sides but I think turning the B side could be a little confusing. Maybe Js or Rs are better but I think T is pretty good. Also if there is no two corners that have the same color on the same side, I would teach the beginners to just do the T permutation from any side that isn't the top or bottom face. I don't add another algorithm because it's not necessary, and it's more common to have the two corners on the same side appear then the other corner case.

Step 7: Permute LL Edges, Use one algorithm, U Perm
I think using U perms are good enough for this step. Just tell them to find a solved side (not including top or bottom) and put that solved side in the front or back to perform the U perm. And if there is no solved side then just do the U perm from any side and it should turn into the U perm case. I think one U perm algorithm is enough for this.

I heard people talking about using sune and its mirror to solve edges. I tried it out with AUF but I don't really understand how to do it. Can someone tell me? It might be better than the U perms.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post. If you have a better idea for a step or something like that I would like to hear! :) Be sure to have reasons though.

Last edited:

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
Some people say that beginner's find solving the cross wit the "flower" shape better, but I think it's unnecessary.

Because they're beginners. It's much easier to just get the pieces to flower and turn the flower into a cross. You already understand the cross, so it makes you think that any explanation of it is easy.

Look at Tyson's DVD from Barnes and Noble. It does a good job at explaining a beginner's method. And since it's a DVD, you can just loan it to your friends. No need to reinvent the wheel.

MistArts

I think doing the first layer corners on the bottom would be easier because you can use the sexy move. ;) It's actually fairly easy to explain how to recognize the corners position (and shortcuts).

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108935&postcount=4

What I learned with a few easier algorithms
(MU U perm instead of that old horrible one)
RU 3 cycle E layer edge insert instead of a less fingertrick friendly alg.

1. Cross (obvious, but tell hopeless people to solve white edges on yellow, then correctly on white.)
2. corners (obvious, but teach the sexy move for hopeless people)
3. E edges (RU alg)
4. F(RUR'U')F'
5. Niklas permute corners
6. Sune orient corners
6b. 5 can be skipped and use Niklas+sune as J perm
7. U perm. M2'UMU2M'UM2'

Last edited:
N

nitrocan

Orienting corners with R' D' R D after EO would be meaningless. Why not just do (Anti-)Sune? Then you can do the J perm with Niklas + Sune for CPLL as fanwuq suggested.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some people say that beginner's find solving the cross wit the "flower" shape better, but I think it's unnecessary.

Because they're beginners. It's much easier to just get the pieces to flower and turn the flower into a cross. You already understand the cross, so it makes you think that any explanation of it is easy.
I first learned how to do the cross from Dan Brown's tutorial, directly solving the cross. I didn't have much of a problem with it. My cousin also learned from his tutorial, and he didn't have a problem with the cross either. I've also taught many of my friends solving the cross directly and if they were patient and determined to solve the cube, it didn't take me more than 5 minutes to explain how to solve the cross to them (lol is 5 minutes too long? :D) I don't think I've taught any of my friends how to solve the cube using the "flower" cross.

And I wouldn't say the "flower" cross is much easier. I look at how Dan Brown teaches you how to perform the cross and I really think most beginners would have no problem. I really think that, not just as a person who already understands the cross.

I think doing the first layer corners on the bottom would be easier because you can use the sexy move. ;) It's actually fairly easy to explain how to recognize the corners position (and shortcuts).
I'm sorry could you explain how you it would be easy to explain how to recognize the corner position and shortcuts? Or is it the way Tyson Mao teaches you how to recognize in this video?

Orienting corners with R' D' R D after EO would be meaningless. Why not just do (Anti-)Sune? Then you can do the J perm with Niklas + Sune for CPLL as fanwuq suggested.
Um could you tell me why it would be meaningless? And before you explain did you read my reasons for choosing the way of each step? Because I explained why I chose not do Sune with Anti-Sune.

Last edited:

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
hmm....

What's wrong with doing things like the cross and first layer corners on bottom. Thats the way I first learned it an I had no problems. Dan browns method is so unnecessarily silly, why would you want to do the same thing?

If you want to give a tutorial to beginners who never want to advance from the most basic method, then yea, do this. But why not make some adjustments that don't make it any more difficult to solve/understand that will be much easier to advance from?

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
hmm....

What's wrong with doing things like the cross and first layer corners on bottom. Thats the way I first learned it an I had no problems. Dan browns method is so unnecessarily silly, why would you want to do the same thing?

If you want to give a tutorial to beginners who never want to advance from the most basic method, then yea, do this. But why not make some adjustments that don't make it any more difficult to solve/understand that will be much easier to advance from?
Before, I answer to that.... have you read my explanation for choosing each step? I've already explained why I think doing the first layer on top is easier than to do it on the bottom.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For what it's worth, again this is solely my opinion and my observation of the methods I have taught in the past, but I would recommend not to go with algorithms at all in your solution method for beginners. I have taught about 50-60 people since I started cubing, and the first people I ever taught were back when I was in high school. I've met up several times with my friends who I taught back in high school and hardly any of them still remember how to solve the cube, because they have forgotten the algorithms I taught them. Now I teach solely using commutator last layer algs. The only exception to this is F R U R' U' F' for orienting LL edges - but for even this I explain the logic behind each move so it is not an "alg". I now mostly teach kids how to solve because I work with kids in my job. Of all the kids I have taught those who have come back to one of our camps again, even if it has been a couple months later, still remember how to solve it.

I think algs are better for teaching people that are already motivated and want to learn to solve quickly (youtube could be self selecting like this). But I think commutators are better for teaching people who only want to know how to solve and not forget how months later.

Just my opinion, there are pros and cons to either approach.

Chris

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
Before, I answer to that.... have you read my explanation for choosing each step? I've already explained why I think doing the first layer on top is easier than to do it on the bottom.
Yes and there is a solid problem with the logic you're using to justify doing the first layer on top. Either way you position the cube, with the cross on top or bottom, you're still not going to be able to see the D face without tilting the cube. So with the cross on top, you won't be able to tell if a certain corner is the one you really need to solve until you tilt the cube... If you did the cross on bottom you can see its really the corner you need without tilting the cube, and you will also be able to tell it's solved without tilting, because 2 of the 3 colors match their middles. Any beginner can quickly realize that if a corner belongs in a specific location, and 2 of the 3 colors are correct, then the last has to be correct also. It's incredibly hard to tell without looking what the third color of a random corner will be. By the way, the same idea also applies to the cross for the most part.

This is all assuming that the corner is found in the layer opposite of the cross, which is likely the case as you begin to solve more and more corners. You will always have to be looking on the D face no matter which way you do it, but you will have to be checking the D face more often if you do the first layer on top. I see absolutely no advantage to a beginner or anyone doing the first layer on top.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
For what it's worth, again this is solely my opinion and my observation of the methods I have taught in the past, but I would recommend not to go with algorithms at all in your solution method for beginners. I have taught about 50-60 people since I started cubing, and the first people I ever taught were back when I was in high school. I've met up several times with my friends who I taught back in high school and hardly any of them still remember how to solve the cube, because they have forgotten the algorithms I taught them. Now I teach solely using commutator last layer algs. The only exception to this is F R U R' U' F' for orienting LL edges - but for even this I explain the logic behind each move so it is not an "alg". I now mostly teach kids how to solve because I work with kids in my job. Of all the kids I have taught those who have come back to one of our camps again, even if it has been a couple months later, still remember how to solve it.

I think algs are better for teaching people that are already motivated and want to learn to solve quickly (youtube could be self selecting like this). But I think commutators are better for teaching people who only want to know how to solve and not forget how months later.

Just my opinion, there are pros and cons to either approach.

Chris
That is a good idea, but I have some questions regarding what you have said.

but I would recommend not to go with algorithms at all in your solution method for beginners
Now I teach solely using commutator last layer algs.

So does that mean you only teach commutator algorithms in the last layer? And do you use algorithms at all in your first two layers?

And what commutators do you use for the last layer?

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
but I would recommend not to go with algorithms at all in your solution method for beginners
Now I teach solely using commutator last layer algs.

So does that mean you only teach commutator algorithms in the last layer? And do you use algorithms at all in your first two layers?

And what commutators do you use for the last layer?

To be very precise I do teach kids/adults/people who want to learn algs in the process of solving. However, I try to break the algs down into as many repetitive parts as I possibly can.

I do not at all claim this method is the best for teaching beginners how to solve. If anything, I believe this method is a highly efficient/easy way to teach young kids how to solve for the first time. I believe this carries over to adults, but etc. etc. I do not want to sound like I think this is the beginners method to end all beginners methods, because it is not. I would also like to give full credit for this method to Jöel van Noort, I learned to teach this method after reading his tutorial.

Prelim: Start by identifying your favorite colored center, place it on the U face.

1: Solve the plus sign (not the cross)

2: correct the plus sign to be the cross (if necessary)

3: Solve U layer corners using moves like b R b' and l' F' l (or Bw R Bw' and Lw' F' Lw) in w notation. If the U layer sticker color is on D we use b R2 b' or l' F2 l to first flip the corner then place it after using the same idea.

4: Solve middle layer edges by using this alg: R' D2 R D2 F D F' only I teach them like this: align the same way you would such that the above alg will solve. I teach them that the "alg" is only R' D2 R. After that, they simply have to solve the U layer corner again. So the only memorization for them at this step is the R' D2 R or F D2 F' move. The rest is repetition of step 3. In practice they would actually execute either R' D2 R D2 b R b' or F D2 F' D2 l' F' l

Flip the cube over so that the LL is on U

5: Orient LL edges using F R U R' U' F' or its inverse. I actually walk them through the logic of this though. So for F R U R' U' F' I teach them to destroy the F2L using the F turn. Then I show them how R U R' essentially grabs the flipped BU edge out of the U layer and places it at FR. Then the U' F' is simply restoring the F2L back again.

6: Orient LL corners. The alg is a commutator alg using F D2 F' R' D2 R for rotating clockwise and the inverse for rotation counterclockwise. Notice the repeated use of R' D2 R and F D2 F', similar to what we did in step 4 to place middle layer edges. An example flipping two corners would be: F D2 F' R' D2 R U R' D2 R F D2 F' U'

7: position LL corners. Again using commutator style methods, and the idea is entirely Jöel van Noort's. Say I have the cycle UFR->UBR->UBL I would teach them to use (R' D2 R) U (R' D2 R) U (R' D2 R) U2 (R' D2 R). Notice that (R' D2 R) is again the same (R' D2 R) that they used in Step 4 to place middle edges. So this is not a new alg at this point, it's continuing to use old stuff they have already learned.

8: Positions LL edges. Same exact idea as above, and also credit again to Jöel. The edge cycle UF->UR->UB would be done as (M D2 M') U (M D2 M') U (M D2 M') U2 (M D2 M'). Notice that M D2 M' is not very different from R' D2 R. So even this is not a new alg, but a variant of the one they have been using all along.

The pitfalls of teaching young kids this method is that teaching step 5 takes the most time, but since you explain the logic behind it once they do understand they don't forget. Also learning step 6 is difficult for kids since you are repeatedly destroying and restoring the F2L. They get the idea because of step 5 orienting the LL edges. However it unnerves kids to repeatedly mess up what they have so carefully solved up to now. Also learning step 7 and step 8 immediately after step 6 helps to cement the idea and have them feel comfortable with it.

I guess the only things that I consider algs in this method, that the kids must simply memorize, are (R' D2 R) and (F D2 F') and the rest is taught to them on an intuitive level such that they understand the reason for the moves they do. I never really teach the reasoning behind using the above conjugates, I just name them "baseball glove" turns (imagine the UFR corner is a baseball and you are throwing an underhand throw to understand why I call it that).

So I guess I don't follow my own advice, I do actually teach using algs, only the algs I use are very short, very simple conjugates. The rest of the solution is taught as either cube logic (orienting LL edges) or commutator style logic (the last 3 steps) using those two conjugates.

Chris

Last edited:

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Commutators?
I had a beginner that figured it out herself.

Assuming RUR'URU2R'
and MUM'UMU2M' are commutators or at least some sort of conjugate.
The are very easy to see and understand. Take out a corner, U, put it back in to orient corners.
Take out an edge, U, and put it back in to orient edges.
Niklas is a commutator and permutes corners.
I show my beginners MU2M'U2. It permutes 3 edges. I encourage them to set it up to a U perm.
M2U(MU2M'U2)U'M2

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
when talking about a non-video tutorial, i still think that nothing is superior to

http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/beginner.html

apart from maybe the EO alg, this is how i teach it, and how i learnt. i got down to about 45s with that method in about 3-4 weeks.
Hmmm..... I looked into the method, and I agree. It's pretty good except the EO algorithms are kind of weird. And the sune and mirrored sune for permuting the edges looks really interesting! (I didn't know how that worked before). Thanks for pointing the site out! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108935&postcount=4
5. Niklas permute corners
6. Sune orient corners
6b. 5 can be skipped and use Niklas+sune as J perm
I also looked at your beginner's PDF guide and it's interesting how you use Niklas + sune to permute the corners. (I didn't really know that algorithm was called Niklas until now :D). Thanks for showing me that! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yes and there is a solid problem with the logic you're using to justify doing the first layer on top. Either way you position the cube, with the cross on top or bottom, you're still not going to be able to see the D face without tilting the cube. So with the cross on top, you won't be able to tell if a certain corner is the one you really need to solve until you tilt the cube... If you did the cross on bottom you can see its really the corner you need without tilting the cube, and you will also be able to tell it's solved without tilting, because 2 of the 3 colors match their middles. Any beginner can quickly realize that if a corner belongs in a specific location, and 2 of the 3 colors are correct, then the last has to be correct also. It's incredibly hard to tell without looking what the third color of a random corner will be. By the way, the same idea also applies to the cross for the most part.

This is all assuming that the corner is found in the layer opposite of the cross, which is likely the case as you begin to solve more and more corners. You will always have to be looking on the D face no matter which way you do it, but you will have to be checking the D face more often if you do the first layer on top. I see absolutely no advantage to a beginner or anyone doing the first layer on top.
Hmmm.... You have a very good point. I would probably teach my friends doing the corners on the D face. But... I'm still skeptical on solving the cross on the D face. I mean if you do it on the U face the beginner can see the cross edge piece being solved. IMO, for some reason I think it's important for the beginner to see each cross edge being solved when solving the entire cross. Thanks for the information though - I will definitely teach my friends how to solve the corners on the D face :)

-------------------------------------------------------

Prelim: Start by identifying your favorite colored center, place it on the U face.

3: Solve U layer corners using moves like b R b' and l' F' l (or Bw R Bw' and Lw' F' Lw) in w notation. If the U layer sticker color is on D we use b R2 b' or l' F2 l to first flip the corner then place it after using the same idea.

4: Solve middle layer edges by using this alg: R' D2 R D2 F D F' only I teach them like this: align the same way you would such that the above alg will solve. I teach them that the "alg" is only R' D2 R. After that, they simply have to solve the U layer corner again. So the only memorization for them at this step is the R' D2 R or F D2 F' move. The rest is repetition of step 3. In practice they would actually execute either R' D2 R D2 b R b' or F D2 F' D2 l' F' l

5: Orient LL edges using F R U R' U' F' or its inverse. I actually walk them through the logic of this though. So for F R U R' U' F' I teach them to destroy the F2L using the F turn. Then I show them how R U R' essentially grabs the flipped BU edge out of the U layer and places it at FR. Then the U' F' is simply restoring the F2L back again.

6: Orient LL corners. The alg is a commutator alg using F D2 F' R' D2 R for rotating clockwise and the inverse for rotation counterclockwise. Notice the repeated use of R' D2 R and F D2 F', similar to what we did in step 4 to place middle layer edges. An example flipping two corners would be: F D2 F' R' D2 R U R' D2 R F D2 F' U'

7: position LL corners. Again using commutator style methods, and the idea is entirely Jöel van Noort's. Say I have the cycle UFR->UBR->UBL I would teach them to use (R' D2 R) U (R' D2 R) U (R' D2 R) U2 (R' D2 R). Notice that (R' D2 R) is again the same (R' D2 R) that they used in Step 4 to place middle edges. So this is not a new alg at this point, it's continuing to use old stuff they have already learned.

8: Positions LL edges. Same exact idea as above, and also credit again to Jöel. The edge cycle UF->UR->UB would be done as (M D2 M') U (M D2 M') U (M D2 M') U2 (M D2 M'). Notice that M D2 M' is not very different from R' D2 R. So even this is not a new alg, but a variant of the one they have been using all along.
Wow. I tried some of the commutators out and it's really interesting. Mostly because I barely know what commutators are :D Well I actually do, but I haven't seen much people use it in normal 3x3 solves (besides R' D' R D and R U R' U'). I would still have to look into the commutators to fully see how they work, but that would take me like at least half an hour to do that. I will look into it more later - possibly think about teaching it to my friends. Thanks a lot, it REALLY is very interesting. :)

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
Hmmm.... You have a very good point. I would probably teach my friends doing the corners on the D face. But... I'm still skeptical on solving the cross on the D face. I mean if you do it on the U face the beginner can see the cross edge piece being solved. IMO, for some reason I think it's important for the beginner to see each cross edge being solved when solving the entire cross. Thanks for the information though - I will definitely teach my friends how to solve the corners on the D face :)

Rotating the cube after the cross is a good transition, but I still think the cross on top isn't all that necessary. D moves are not fun, and are probably the worst moves besides B for beginners. Plus the same corner logic also applies, if you have the cross on bottom and you start filling up the D layer edges, then its more likely that your next edge will be nicely visible on the top layer. Also say you have a cross edge piece in front-upper position thats matching the F color. If you just do F2, are you really going to need to check every time to make sure that the piece is correct? I never had much trouble telling whether an edge piece I just solved was actually correct. You watch the edge being solved and know that it must be matching because you know what color is on the bottom.

This is the kind of thinking that advances cubers. This is a tutorial for beginners right? When someone says beginner I think of someone who is just starting out at something and plans on getting better at it. If this was just a "Guide on how to solve the rubik's cube", for someone who really only wanted to solve the cube once just to say that they did it, then yea do the whole first two layers on top, you can make sure everything's correct without having to think about it. It's a problem though when people learn this way and then want to get fast because then they have to go back and re-learn how to do half the solve when it really wasn't easier to do it that way in the first place.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
To be very precise I do teach kids/adults/people who want to learn algs in the process of solving. However, I try to break the algs down into as many repetitive parts as I possibly can.

I do not at all claim this method is the best for teaching beginners how to solve. If anything, I believe this method is a highly efficient/easy way to teach young kids how to solve for the first time. I believe this carries over to adults, but etc. etc. I do not want to sound like I think this is the beginners method to end all beginners methods, because it is not. I would also like to give full credit for this method to Jöel van Noort, I learned to teach this method after reading his tutorial.

The pitfalls of teaching young kids this method is that teaching step 5 takes the most time, but since you explain the logic behind it once they do understand they don't forget. Also learning step 6 is difficult for kids since you are repeatedly destroying and restoring the F2L. They get the idea because of step 5 orienting the LL edges. However it unnerves kids to repeatedly mess up what they have so carefully solved up to now. Also learning step 7 and step 8 immediately after step 6 helps to cement the idea and have them feel comfortable with it.

I guess the only things that I consider algs in this method, that the kids must simply memorize, are (R' D2 R) and (F D2 F') and the rest is taught to them on an intuitive level such that they understand the reason for the moves they do. I never really teach the reasoning behind using the above conjugates, I just name them "baseball glove" turns (imagine the UFR corner is a baseball and you are throwing an underhand throw to understand why I call it that).

So I guess I don't follow my own advice, I do actually teach using algs, only the algs I use are very short, very simple conjugates. The rest of the solution is taught as either cube logic (orienting LL edges) or commutator style logic (the last 3 steps) using those two conjugates.

Chris

I love it. I think I will definitely try to teach the next person this way.
One thing that maybe I would change is CO in LL. I usually end up showing people the SUNE. It rotates corners... and its easy to see how it works... with the F2L pair moving around. The puzzle of course then becomes how to use series of SUNES/ANTISUNES to solve anything.

Did you ever try to teach a beginner F2L right away? At least really basic? Probably would be hard with kids, but if you had for example a colleague or something who you consider to be really intelligent? I tried it once with a friend of mine and it kinda worked...

Last edited:

ManuK

I also found it difficult to make others understand how FRUR'U' works.So,instead taught RUR'U'R'FRF', which can be easily explained as bringing a pair up, and then reinserting them.(for the ones who do normal pair insertion using URU'R', I tell them to insert it the "other" way).I taught F2L by explaining the pair concept(the 2 rules),and how to form pairs and then inserting;so that if they learn Fridrich F2L, it will be easy to understand.Trying to teach without making them rote any algorithms.

@cmhardw,
In step 6,for the cases where 3 corners require clockwise turn, won't the method be too cumbersome and hard to explain(requiring one to do one Clockwise[CW],U,two CCW,U,one CW)?.Loved the steps 7 & 8 (not very familiar with commutators).They seem very easy to explain to beginners.Is there a way to swap just two corners or edges using this method?.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
In step 6,for the cases where 3 corners require clockwise turn, won't the method be too cumbersome and hard to explain(requiring one to do one Clockwise[CW],U,two CCW,U,one CW)?.Loved the steps 7 & 8 (not very familiar with commutators).They seem very easy to explain to beginners.Is there a way to swap just two corners or edges using this method?.

No there is only one way to swap two edges or corners and that is to jab your finger in there, pop out pieces, and rearrange the cube

ManuK

No there is only one way to swap two edges or corners and that is to jab your finger in there, pop out pieces, and rearrange the cube

I meant two corners and edges.When you permute the corners,you can do that.Then you can permute the edges.

Last edited: