• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Asher Cho

WCA
2015CHOA01
Yeah, that is what I thought because the algs on his site are for the left-side. I was thinking about learning this, but I ended up learning the regular way.

What about algorithms for OLL, and PLL on the right side? That might be interesting.

You're from korea?? I'm from korea too.!!

정말요? 부모님은 한국 사람들인데 저는 미국에서 11년 살아서 한국에 왔어요

Asher Cho

WCA
2015CHOA01
Yeah, that is what I thought because the algs on his site are for the left-side. I was thinking about learning this, but I ended up learning the regular way.

What about algorithms for OLL, and PLL on the right side? That might be interesting.

네. 혹시 큐브매니아 아니면 큐브 facebook 그룹에 혹시 활동하세요??

Sorry for offtopic post
큐브 매니아 카페 방금 가입 했어요 ㅋㅋ AmericanCuber입니다

Delysid

Back side insertion during f2l Question.

I have begun to notice how much this one *Technically 2* of back layer insertion making or breaking my speed solves. This usually occurs on my last corner of f2L where either back or left corner's pair has even been built but the insertion is very awkward. I do it with a BUB' but it feels really really awkward and my fingers turn into a pretzel. Any advice will help tremendously!

kp

Just rotate and R U R'? It's your last pair, so you shouldn't be losing much.

Unless I misunderstood your problem.

Delysid

Yeah I am just trying to stop myself from regripping. I can do most of all F2L without a single regrip unless I get those two bad feeling pair insertions.
I have also Tinkered with the Idea of doing a U'd instead of a regrip.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Rotating is good. Don't avoid it just to avoid regripping, because you'll have to regrip eventually, and you'll just slow yourself down. You can sometimes use algs like R U R' F R F' R or R2' F R F' R, but most of the time rotating is faster.

kp

I don't know of any faster way to do that. However, if no rotations is indeed what you desire, you could do something like:

U R U R' U' (R' F R F') U2 R' U R

But this is obviously more time consuming than a rotation. In fact, even U' d sounds good. Perhaps someone else knows something better.

Or try ZZ for a no-rotation F2L. ;)

Last edited:

Delysid

ZZ looks really interesting and I am probably going to try to learn it just for funsies, but I think CFOP fits my mind-set much better for now.

I think you guys are right about just rotating the cube. I used to do cube rotations a lot during F2L and when I started solving pairs and inserting without rotating I shaved off a lot of time to my solve. Ironically I guess it made me be a little stubborn whereas in this case it might be just better to do that one cube rotation/Regrip.

Thanks for the simple and quick answers :3

Last edited:

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
ZZ looks really interesting and I am probably going to try to learn it just for funsies, but I think CFOP fits my mind-set much better for now.

I think you guys are right about just rotating the cube. I used to do cube rotations a lot during F2L and when I started solving pairs and inserting without rotating I shaved off a lot of time to my solve. Ironically I guess it made me be a little stubborn whereas in this case it might be just better to do that one cube rotation/Regrip.

Thanks for the simple and quick answers :3

Yep, I think in this case a regrip that lets you change that B U B' for an R' U R (or an L U' L') is better. I am also fighting my temptations of rotating but there are some cases I just can't do without at least a y/y'. What I try to avoid at all costs are y2 rotations. Those should be completely unnecessary during F2L.

CubeCow

Intuitive F2L not helpful?

I average 1:40 using LBL (Beginners Method) to solve.
I though I could get faster by learning intuitive F2L.
Either I was wrong, or I haven't practiced enough, because my fastest intuitive F2L time is 2:40
What do you think?

Wylie28

WCA
2014FORI01
f2l is a entirely new method to you, you are probably taking a really long time to recognize the cases and when you do solve them its with a much larger number of moves than optimal. This was the same when you first learned begginers method it will take practice with f2l before you see any progress but it is faster because you solve more peices per move than begginers 1st/2nd layer. (when you get good at it at least). I average 15-16 seconds if i use begginers 1st/2nd layer i average about 20/21 with very fast turning any no stops at all, and im anywhere near that good with f2l yet.

You can improve by doing plenty of practice solves or looking up algs/example solves and figure out what they are doing and why it works. There are many things begginers dont do during f2l. Things like using your left hand as much as your right, using empy slots, optimal solutions for pairs, solving 2 gen pairs first to reduce rotations, using look ahead, and simply turning faster. I do not reccomend learning the algs as they only work from one angle and its hard to look ahead when when doing algs so stick with intuitive f2l

Last edited:

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
you haven't practiced enough and thought about how to solve certain cases. it's normal to be slower in the beginning since you're having problems finding pieces, deciding what to do, and solving things inefficiently. looking at some beginner example solves for f2l should help. but mostly more practice.

SenorJuan

I suggest sticking with your beginners method until you're getting 40 sec solves. By then you will have developed your turn speed, recognition, some lookahead ability, etc. Then with these skills, you can start moving onto advanced techniques, like intuitive four slots, which is not really that intuitive, despite the name.
As I'm sure others will confirm, even beginners methods can result in 20 sec solves with skill.

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I suggest sticking with your beginners method until you're getting 40 sec solves. By then you will have developed your turn speed, recognition, some lookahead ability, etc. Then with these skills, you can start moving onto advanced techniques, like intuitive four slots, which is not really that intuitive, despite the name.
As I'm sure others will confirm, even beginners methods can result in 20 sec solves with skill.

You can get sub 15 with beginners method if you really wanted to. That doesn't change the fact that F2L is far, far better. Besides, why put off learning the better method until you're at some arbitrary speed that apparently means you're good enough to advance? As long as you're comfortable with solving a Rubik's cube, you can probably handle learning something like F2L. The longer you put it off, the more annoying it will be to switch.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can get sub 15 with beginners method if you really wanted to. That doesn't change the fact that F2L is far, far better. Besides, why put off learning the better method until you're at some arbitrary speed that apparently means you're good enough to advance? As long as you're comfortable with solving a Rubik's cube, you can probably handle learning something like F2L. The longer you put it off, the more annoying it will be to switch.

Yep, listen to this.

Also, this is going to be the first of many times where you get slower when picking up something new. It's part of the process. You learn something new, eventually get used to it, and then get faster than before.

SenorJuan

I was just offering my opinion. No need to criticise my advice, simply state your own advice.
Quote:"That doesn't change the fact that F2L is far, far better."
It's has a moderately lower movecount, and is considerably harder.
Q:"Why put off learning the better method until you're at some arbitrary speed that apparently means you're good enough to advance?"
You don't have to put it off, you can start whenever you like. But I feel that it's easier to work your way up to an advanced technique in stages, rather than straight-in. So developing the ability to look-ahead for one piece will help when it comes to the much more difficult task of looking for two pieces, or two pieces and empty slots, for example.
Currently, the original poster is very slow, and he needs to do little more than practice, practice, to significantly improve his solve times.