• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Resurrection Warnings

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want something that says:
"This thread was recently bumped. (At least one month from a recent unviewed post to its preceding post.) Please be careful about responding to bumps."
And not just for me, but everyone, since they are even more inclined to respond.

Stuff like this is getting annoying.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OH... so that explains why Mr. Hughey said he started earlier this year, because it was last year. I thought that didn't add up ^^

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I want something that says:
(At least one month from a recent unviewed post to its preceding post.)
I'm unsure what you mean. I read this several times but can't quite understand what you are saying. You want a message displayed after 1 month of a thread being "inactive" (meaning un-replied to) displaying not to bump it? Or after someone replies to an "inactive" thread, put the warning above the latest post saying "this thread was recently bumped, please avoid replying unnecessarily"?

I agree though, stuff like that is quite annoying. It is hard to enforce, but people should say something if it is useful, otherwise, what is the point? I'd like to implement something to help make people aware of this.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think he means, a message that comes up between the older post, and the new post that caused the bump saying "the following moron just bumped an old thread" or something of the sort :p

TomZ

I think a better way to solve the problem would be to make a message appear like this if the last post was made a while ago:

The last post in this thread was made on DATE, N days ago. Please avoid bumping, it's bad mkay.

Are you sure you want to add this post:
[YES] [NO]

I think this would work better than what Lucas suggested as you would prevent bumping, stopping the problem at the source.

I searched around for mods, but I didn't find any. Thats odd, as there ought to be solutions for this problem around.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why can't you use old treads? I don't understand that at all????

Let's say noone posts in the weird scrambles tread in a month, shall I start a new one then if I find a scramble I like to post?

I agree, Kenneth. I think we should be able to use old threads all we want, as long as it's not an unnecessary "me too" kind of post. But there are many threads that are "me too" kinds of threads, such as the weird scrambles thread. For those, I think we should be able to reuse them all we want.

The nice thing about this forum versus so many other forums out there is how open it is. It is "lightly moderated" - some minor moderation is done to keep things civil, but no more than that. And I think that is just the right touch to keep this community vibrant.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
There's usually a reason people stop posting in a thread. It isn't relevant anymore. The question has been answered, things have changed, or people stopped being interested in the topic. If you actually have a new contribution to an old thread (e.g. a new scramble for the "weird scrambles" thread) there's nothing wrong with posting it, but most of the thread-necro we see around here isn't very insightful. If everyone went around writing "me too" type posts in long dead threads it clogs up the forum and pushes recent relevant threads off the front page. We've had a few episodes where a newbie went through every thread he could see and posted a reply to it, and that was thoroughly annoying.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Why can't you use old treads? I don't understand that at all????

Let's say noone posts in the weird scrambles tread in a month, shall I start a new one then if I find a scramble I like to post?
Like Mike said, I agree that there is nothing wrong with reviving an old thread. What I do see wrong is when someone posts something that is not useful whatsoever, whether it is a new, or old thread. Their post sticks out more on an old thread, hence why I believe this thread exists.

Remember that many people have been saying, "search the forum before you post", which means, find the information that already exists before you post. It is somewhat contradictory to have people going around complaining about reviving old posts when we tell them to search for old posts in the first place. I understand what you guys mean, but someone new to the forum may not.

I do think that having a warning of some sort as Lucas or TomZ suggested would make people think about their post, and contribute something useful. Again, I see nothing wrong with reviving old threads; we are getting 5+ new people registering a day, so it doesn't surprise me that older threads are revived since new opinions are here. It is certainly better than having a new thread created for each new topic, even though old topics already exist.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sa967St Admin/Mod Discussion 4
pjk Admin/Mod Discussion 2