• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Krible

Can some pro who uses audio-loops for corners (like aronpm) please explain exactly how they do it?

verdito

WCA
2011SCHA02
i have an object or word related to each sticker of the cube... i say that is colour pairs because i use some things like green-white-red = TACO (because the taco is from MEXICO and have that colours in his flag :p ) but i'm not sure.. what method is that?

Krible

So I need to prepare a letter pair list first?

And another question: Let's say I have remembered something like Foe RoD Gee LeR. When executing, how do I know which letters are bold?

Cubenovice

Forever Slow

And another question: Let's say I have remembered something like Foe RoD Gee LeR. When executing, how do I know which letters are bold?

Not persé...

One approach to "knowing" is applying certain rules:
If the word ends on a consonant the bold letters are the first and last letter
If not: the bold letters are the first two

fits your example :)

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not necessarily, the beauty of audio-loop memo is it often doesn't need to be coherent. Incoherent sounds don't require a pre-memorised list since they're easy to make on the spot.
Methods for forming monosyllable sounds:
*If the letter-pair consists of 2 consonants, place a vowel in-between as a filler. (Example: TN = tin)
*If the letter-pair consists of at least 1 vowel, say the letter pair how it would sound as if it was a word. (Example: BU = Boo, AE = "Eh")
*Have a pre-memorised list of audio pairs, similar to a letter-pair image list.
If you are planning on using proper words to perhaps form sentences, a list could be of benefit. (Like Chris has done)

Once you're familiar with the system for attaining sounds, it'll be very obvious which letters are the actual targets. If you have 2 letters that are both vowels, you might need to make a mental note of what letters are involved (and/or the order the letters appear in).

F and O are the targets in "Foe", because when you say "Foe" you only hear the 'F' and the 'O'.
R and D are the targets in "Rod", because they are the consonants at the front and back.
G and E are the targets in "Gee", because they are the only letters you can hear.
L and R are the targets in "Ler", because they are the consonants at the front and back.

This probably is confusing, but after you've put this system to practice it'll come clear. :)

Last edited:

Krible

Thanks Zane!

Do you have any tips on how I should make a letter scheme for corners? Should I just make it in alphabetic order like ULB = "A", URB = "B" ect?

aronpm

Thanks Zane!

Do you have any tips on how I should make a letter scheme for corners? Should I just make it in alphabetic order like ULB = "A", URB = "B" ect?

If you already have a letter scheme for edges, look at [wiki]Speffz[/wiki] and see how it relates corner letters to edge letters. If you don't have one, you can learn Speffz :p

ASH

WCA
2008HACK01
I had an idea a couple of weeks ago:
If you use loci method and have only a few paths "prepared" why not reusing useless information you already know.

So I started to scatter loci-"check points" on Counterstrike maps. :)
Works perfectly fine for me and will work with every arbitrary game maps/levels you played a lot.

Makes you instantly dozens of paths available. :)

Just a hint, you may simply ignore my post.

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do you all distinguish between C and K in audio?
If this is a big problem, you can remove K and replace it with a different letter that isn't already included in your lettering scheme. By doing this you will eliminate similar sounding letters.

It's rare for me to encounter this issue, usually I 'just know' whether it's C or K. Even though audio isn't directly related to visual memo, it's still very possible to visually recall tiny bits of information (after all, you did look at the cycles in the place). You may find that you are able to visually remember just enough to distinguish the difference between C and K.

Kyle™

Premium Member
WCA
2004ALLA01
Thanks Zane!

If you use UBL as your buffer, then you can try my basic scheme. ABCD on the U face, and EFGH on the L face, and follow the scheme around the cube...F-> R-> B->D.
This way your buffer will have A/E/R on it, meaning you can use those letters as much as you want in sentences and never worry about which letters to focus on since they never need to be solved.
For example : Corner memo : ONCPLC // Once Place. Ignore a's and e's when executing every time. Zane and aron are much more educated on the subject, but that's how I do it!

Martial

WCA
2013BONA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For those who have a memorization around 10-15sec : Do you repeat your memo (particurarily the edges) during the solve of corners ? My memo is pretty fast and in one time, but when i finish solve of the corners, I have often forgotten the memo of edges, so how can I remember of it ?

edit : I use letter pair words, and a series of letters/numbers for corners

Last edited:

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
I had an idea a couple of weeks ago:
If you use loci method and have only a few paths "prepared" why not reusing useless information you already know.

So I started to scatter loci-"check points" on Counterstrike maps. :)
Works perfectly fine for me and will work with every arbitrary game maps/levels you played a lot.

Makes you instantly dozens of paths available. :)

Just a hint, you may simply ignore my post.

i did this with locations from the mmorpg Runescape. Worked pretty nicely, but i havent enough use for loci method since i cant do big cubes BLD and need too long for MBLD