• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4 pops frequently

spy1325

I recently learned how to solve the 4x4, and i lubed it 2 nights ago, by taking off the top layer and spraying ACE hardware pure silicone lubricant in it. and it turns fantasitcly. but now it pops very frequently and always more then 2 or 3 pieces pop before i can grasp on to all the pieces. so its seems like im aways solving a broken cube becusae i cant keep track of where the pieces were and what position they were in. is there anything i can do to stop the popping, or is this just how it is?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I am not really sure. Maybe turn slower to get used to the "looseness" of the cube, and eventually work on getting quicker. I find it similar to when you lube a 3x3 and making it really loose. What I did originally was pop constantly. I got used to it and now pop much less on a very smooth cube. Good luck.

spy1325

well - doesn't seem to matter anymore, a kid in my chemistry class bumped it off my desk, and it fell and poped, at first i thought it was fine, but saw the center piece flange thing broke off. im going to try to glue it back tonight, but it seems like such a small piece that it won't have enough tensile strength.

spy1325

meh. it was an accident. sucks too, becasues a replacement part is a dollar 50 plus shipping from cubesmith, and then 6 more bucks for a sticker pack... so i might as well just buy a new one

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
If you want to buy a new one, check in the speedcubing forum and go through the first 5 pages or so.... Ian W. was selling brand new 4x4 rubik's for like $11. That is how I got mine. I bought a brand new 5x5 and 4x4 Rubiks for like $33 shipped ;) If you can't find it, let me know and I will look.