• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Void Cube Discussion

Cormi

I am having trouble with the void cube. Can anyone help? How do you switch 2 corners?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
just do an M/M' and resolve LSE.
I find it hard to keep track of where my centres are unless I have edges solved. The easiest intuitive fix is M2 U M' U' M2 which moves centres a quarter turn while preserving the bottom layer. Then just resolve the top. Not as fast as learning an alg to fix it all at once, of course.

Solvador Cubi

I assembled this one-page quick-reference sheet for a void cube if you're interested in algorithms.
http://solvexio.cf/app/#/Void_Page

There's a lengthy alg to swap adjacent corners or you can combine algs like: A Perm + O Perm

I never found an alg for a diagonal corner swap, but there are decent combos to solve that too like: E Perm + O Perm

-= Solvador

Tranman64

YouTube
Visit Channel
So i was messing around with my homemade void cube (a cube with the centers popped off) and there's parity if the centers are in the wrong place. (this is unpredictable)
The alg is M' U M' U' M U' M U2 M
You always get the same OLL afterwards so do R U R' U' M' U R U' r' (alg not found by me) when you are done and parity will be solved

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Look, I started this thread based off of one question: does a void cube really need holes?
Seriously, the mechanism of a void cube is cool, but is it possible to lube a void cube? How about this:
I would take a cube, such as a QiYi Sail W, and take it apart, leaving the centers attached to the core.
Then I would take off the caps, sand down each center and take off 1 milimeter of plastic per center.
Then un-sticker the center caps and put them back onto the centers.
Put the cube back together. It doesn't have holes, but would it still technically be a void cube?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Look, I started this thread based off of one question: does a void cube really need holes?
Seriously, the mechanism of a void cube is cool, but is it possible to lube a void cube? How about this:
I would take a cube, such as a QiYi Sail W, and take it apart, leaving the centers attached to the core.
Then I would take off the caps, sand down each center and take off 1 milimeter of plastic per center.
Put the cube back together. It doesn't have holes, but would it still technically be a void cube?
no because the definition of the word void is empty

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
google definition
It has the parities so idk

DNF_Cuber

No, It would solve the same but I think a void cube needs holes. That is like calling a 3x3 a mastermorphinx. functions the same, but not quite the same

Delta Phi

WCA
2014DEYA01
Functionally it is the same as a void cube and its solved the same way, but aesthetically it is not quite the same. It's still possible to lube a void cube, since there are still pieces contacting each other, but because of the structure it won't be able to turn as easily as a regular cube with "removed" centers as you describe.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A void cube does not need holes.
I know that Max Park did void cube practice by just taking of the center caps of his black stickered cube.

I don't think you can really do void cube with a stickerless cube, unless you can make the centers completely indistinguishable from each other (eg. by spray painting them black, or swapping them out for centers from a different cube).

xyzzy

What makes a Void Cube a Void Cube?

Given that there's no authoritative definition, the answer necessarily has to depend on context. In terms of (speed)solving, using a standard cube with the centre caps/stickers removed surely counts—the solve isn't made any easier (or harder) compared to a "legitimate" Void Cube. In terms of aesthetics or design, the voidness of the Void Cube is the entire reason for its existence—conventional 3×3×3 mechanisms make use of a core to which the centre pieces are attached, and the Void Cube breaks that mold.