• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Whats your GPA in high school?

skwishy

Im a senior in High School and have an unweighted GPA of 3.9 but if you take into consideration the Honors and AP classes I have taken, and am taking currently, it would be over a 4.0

Unknown.soul

YouTube
Visit Channel
Grading systems and course difficulty levels vary so much among schools GPA by itself is kind of a worthless measure. Colleges and grad schools have to take your school into consideration when evaluating your GPA. Asking other people what their GPA is/was when they were in school doesn't tell you very much.

I concur, Shelley. Anything that assigns a numerical value to intelligence is inaccurate because my IQ could possibly be "higher" than yours if the IQ test was easier for me and harder for you.

Last edited:

Brett

Im a senior in High School and have an unweighted GPA of 3.9 but if you take into consideration the Honors and AP classes I have taken, and am taking currently, it would be over a 4.0

Unweighted, the highest GPA you can get is a 4.0.

I have a 3.2, as a junior. like a 4.6 weighted.
GT Band (My band director made this a GT course... lmao) (6.0 weighted, 4.0 weighted)
AP Calc - B (5.0 weighted, 3.0 unweighted)
AP Calc - B (same as above)
AP English - B (5.0 weighted, 3.0 unweighted)
AP Music Theory - A (6.0 weighted, 4.0 unweighted)
Honors Physics - B (4.0 weighted, 3.0 unweighted)
Honors US History - B (4.0 weighted, 3.0 unweighted)
Plus I have enough extracurriculars to get me like anywhere (Eagle Scout, Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Orchestra, All-state band, all-county band, Tri-M Society, National Honor Society, etc)

It's about writing good essays, and telling the people your good traits in a professional way. (or that's what my guidance counselor told me :/)

shafiqdms1

WCA
2008MOHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
also, Honors course recieved a 1/3 boost, and AP course recieved a 2/3 boost.

Oh sweet!! I knew we get some kind of boost because of those but I wasn't sure! Thanks for clearing me up!

Also, is our GPA calculated with the 5 points and 1/3 boost for honors and 10 points and 2/3 boost for AP? If so, then My GPA is:
(4+4+3+4+3+3+2)/7= 3.14+ 1/3+1/3+1/3+2/3=4.80! :D yay! lol

thats with weighted that is...

another question, does the boost count in nonweighted GPA as well as weighted?

-Shafiq

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Like Shelley said, it is hard to compare among different schools. However, I did work in the admissions office at my univeristy last year and the first thing they do when they get a transcript is un-weight it. This at least brings everyone to the same GPA scale.

I graduated with a 4.0 unweighted cumulative, like 4.5 weighted. I also took every AP class offered at my school, and I was the only one who did this in my class (about 130, pretty small, 4A).

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Oh sweet!! I knew we get some kind of boost because of those but I wasn't sure! Thanks for clearing me up!

Also, is our GPA calculated with the 5 points and 1/3 boost for honors and 10 points and 2/3 boost for AP? If so, then My GPA is:

-Shafiq

You have to average it out again.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Weighting is a dumb concept.

not really. The valedictorian of the class that graduated before me was by no means the smartest in her class, she just took easier classes and thus had a higher GPA. I think classes that are more difficult should yield a higher GPA. She wouldn't have stood a chance if she had taken AP Physics or AP Calc 2. Thankfully the Valedictorian and Salutatorian of my class were both deserving of their respective titles.

Personally, I think GPA in general is just a dumb idea, grades are no measure of a person's intelligence, but unfortunately they are often regarded as such.

-Shafiq

You have to average it out again.

first: that is how my school did it. I am almost certain that your school does it way differently.

second: if you did recieve a boost like that then your actual GPA would be (4+4+3+4+3+3+2+1/3+1/3+1/3+2/3)/7=3.81

Last edited:

isaacthecuber

WCA
2007WAPP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Psh, who cares about high school?
:p
I'm in Middle School, sitting with a 4.33, all A+'s, which I know barely means anything, because I'm pretty sure Middle School was designed for monkeys.
:D