• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Whats your GPA in high school?

Cuber2112

Hey whats up,

Lately Ive been stressing out about getting into college safely and I guess Ive got a lot of questions. But I guess if Im going to get any answers from you guys Im going to have to tell how well off acedemically I am.

-Im a junior in High school and I have a GPA of around 3.1
-Im taking AP History, chemistry, anatomy & physiology, Pre-Calc (which is a grade level higher than normal), english, and P.E.
-I also run on the cross-country team, and track team which I do fairly well at. Id say im the 3rd fastest on the team.
- Ill probably come up with some more stuff about me acedemically.

My questions:

- What is the average/typical GPA of a high school student.
- Am I pretty safe as long as I have 3.0 or better.
- Are scholarships possible with a 3.0? Maybe in cross-country running. I figure if a couple of dumb football players can get scholarships then why cant I? (Totaly steroetypical) <--mispell?
- I plan on going to a college within my state so that should increase my chances by a lot right? I want to go to the University of Idaho.

Anyway, It would be really nice if you guys could respond to this.

Please share your GPA so I can get a good Idea of what the average is. I got to keep in mind though Im talking to a bunch of smart Rubiks cubers!!:)

EDIT: Whats you cumulative GPA. Meaning what is your GPA after all your time in High school

Last edited:

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
11th grade
Just got report card today.
APUSH 93-- joined class late, expect over 96 next quarter.
AP Calc AB 97-- Easily 100 if I wasn't so careless this quarter. Usually I always get 100 in math.
AP Economics (both) 97
AP Chem 95-- I don't know why I'm passing this class, I do no work and understand nothing.
Pre-AP English 88: It's actually harder than my AP courses!
Research 95-- This is done outside of school, I think the teacher just give everyone 95.
Robotics 90 (Stupid class where you play with Legos.)
(AP) Art--I probably wouldn't submit my portfolio this year. Also I did not get this grade on my report card.
For some reason, the total weighted average is 101.
I don't know how this translates to GPA.

I wish I can run as fast as you. People at my school suck at running.
Pre-Calc is actually a level below, haha. I know some freshmen taking AP Calc BC, though that's not normal and they don't go to my school. I'd say I'm at grade level, at most 1 level higher/lower.

rckclmb124

what are your times on the cross country coarse? I assume its 5k or 3.1miles. I am on the varsity cross country team at my high shcool and I run an 17:50 for the average coarse.

shafiqdms1

WCA
2008MOHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It depends, weighted or non weighted?

Weighted= over 4.0
non-weighted= 3.0

Spanish I- 90
Honors Chemistry- 90
AP World History- 84
Computer Apps- 91
Digital Media I-88
Honors English II- 82
Honors Algebra 2- 74 :(

My friends say I am smart and I usually get around 3.5 but I am going through a rough time atm :(...especially in math. anyway my grade have really been improving, I bought my math grade up from a 58 -> 74 since last report card so yeah. I usually don't do that bad but my Algebra II teacher is ridiculous, YOU HAVE TO SHOW WORK!, and if you show partial work then you get it all wrong. You can only use calculator to check your work, even if its a super long Cramer's rule problem and you also have to show your calculator work by writing what buttons you press!!! Isn't that ridiculous!?

anyway, sorry for being off topic, I would say an average kid should get around 3.0-3.5 non weighted, but you still have to work really hard for it.

-Shafiq

Last edited:

Cuber2112

I wish I can run as fast as you. People at my school suck at running.
Pre-Calc is actually a level below, haha. I know some freshmen taking AP Calc BC, though that's not normal and they don't go to my school. I'd say I'm at grade level, at most 1 level higher/lower.

Thats really wierd about that that math thing. Im taking my math class with the majority of it being made up of seniors. like a 5:1 ratio at the most. Most juniors are taking Algebra 2 at my school?????

Are sport scholarships hard to get a hold of? lets say I place around the top 20 at high school races. Would that get me anywhere?

Cuber2112

what are your times on the cross country coarse? I assume its 5k or 3.1miles. I am on the varsity cross country team at my high shcool and I run an 17:50 for the average coarse.

Im on the 18:00 boarder on average. A lot of it depends on the coarse, like whether it has several hills or not. And yea it is a 5k run. Whats your GPA though?

shafiqdms1

WCA
2008MOHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Algebra two is average for sophomores, here. I'm a freshmen in that class and there are mostly sophomores and juniors.

Over here at my school, Algebra II is on average for the majority of juniors (90% of my school is full of stupid/ignorant students that don't care about school at all) If you are a sophomore taking alg.2, you are considered pretty smart.

I like taking all honors/AP because I like hanging out with the 5-10% of the people that are actually smart in my school. I hate being in company of stupid/ignorant people I mentioned earlier.

Leviticus

GPA? I live in Australia, for our reports we get a % out of 100 for each subject with a grade. A= >75%, B= 65%-74%, C=50%-64%, D=>50%. But since your talking University entrance i guess your GBA is our TEE or HSC on the East coast. I do Chemistry, Biology, Geography, English 2A/2B and Foundations of Maths. Order of difficulty of maths is: Maths in Practice, Foundations of Maths, Intro-Calc, G and T. So i do the "normal" maths.

Last edited:

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am just guessing here but the average at a public school it probably in the 2.5-3 range, but I really dont know. I graduated with a 4.09 weighted and was ranked 10/41.(I went to a competitive private school).

If you are only looking at U of Idaho than this website might be good for you to look at:
http://www.uidaho.edu/futurestudents/finances/scholarships/goidaho.aspx/

looking at the results page for the cross country you are going to have to be pretty fast to get anywhere. I would recommend training hard during the winter and summer so you can do well in cross you senior year.

Also, Idaho's mascot is the Vandal. lawl.

GPA? I live in Australia, for our reports we get a % out of 100 for each subject with a grade. A= >75%, B= 65%-74%, C=50%-64%, D=>50%. But since your talking University entrance i guess your GBA is our TEE or HSC on the East coast. I do Chemistry, Biology, Geography, English 2A/2B and Foundations of Maths. Order of difficulty of maths is: Maths in Practice, Foundations of Maths, Intro-Calc, G and T. So i do the "normal" maths.

GPA= grade point average. generally an A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0 and then your GPA is just the average of all your grades throughout high school. Although sometimes school are more specific, like mine: A+=4.33, A= 4, A-=3.67 etc. also, Honors course recieved a 1/3 boost, and AP course recieved a 2/3 boost.

Also, I used to think that saying "maths" was weird, then I realized that it is just an abbreviation of mathmatics, and therefore should still be plural. However, I am not going to start saying maths instead of math, because people here will think I am crazy(or foreign)

Last edited:

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK, so when you get your report card/grade sheet you take each percentage for your classes and you assign them a value depending on your school. Most go for a 4.0 scale. For example:
My grades are:
English 101-100% 4.0
CompSci 1-100% 4.0
Chemistry-92% 3.0
Weight Lifting-100% 4.0
Algebra 2-93% 4.0
French 2-93% 4.0
History 101-89% 3.0
Total=26
Total/7=3.7

You get 4 points for an A, 3 for a B, 2 for a C, 1 for a D, and of course 0 for an F. You just have to average out all your GPA points.

My school does some weird stuff to the grading scale and GPA point assignment and I get something like this:
English 101-4.5
CompSci-4.5
Chemistry-3.5
Weight Lifting-4.5
Honors Alg 2-5.0
French 2-4.0
History-3.0:(
So my GPA is a 4.14 going by my school's point system. You get .5 extra for a '+' grade and an entire point for an Honors class.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Grading systems and course difficulty levels vary so much among schools GPA by itself is kind of a worthless measure. Colleges and grad schools have to take your school into consideration when evaluating your GPA. Asking other people what their GPA is/was when they were in school doesn't tell you very much.

CAT13

WCA
2008MCCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm in 10th grade and I think my GPA is around 3.4-3.6 (weighted) but I'm not sure. I should be getting my report card soon. What makes me mad, though, is that my chemistry class isn't weighted, but it is a higher level of science than most 10th graders take. And also the stupid 93%+ gets an A, but in other nearby school districts 90%+ gets and A.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A*x2
A x5
B x 2
C x 1
i dont like languages, especially not german (no insult intended for german people; i generally dont like what i am awful at).
A, B, B, C, C at AS. didnt do any work...
hopefully AAB at A2, using retakes to push up the first C and the Bs to As/Bs, and then doing well in the exams...
what about you joey?

:p