• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Melbourne unnoficial comp

Faz

Former Clock NR Holder
WCA
2009ZEMD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some results are up.

Date: Melbourne cup weekend, Saturday the 1st of November at 10:00am. Finishing time between 3 and 4pm

Location: Stonnington baptist church, it has a nice big room. Address 75 Union Street Armadale 3144

Events: 2x2-5x5 3x3 OH, 3x3 BLD, and i am taking event requests, however due to the lack of people, we might not have that event. (magic)
if you are able to attend please post your name and email address so we can give you information and the precise location.
If anyone coming has a stackmat, please bring it.

Note: there will be no displays. Prizes will probably be a certificate or something. There will be registration and competition sheets.

Entry fee: undecided at the moment. Probably $0

There will be sheets on the day to sign your name. No pre registration, just rock up at 10.

PLEASE POST YOUR NAME AND EMAIL SO WE CAN CONTACT YOU IF YOU ARE COMING.

SCHEDULE

9:30 - 10:00 - Registration and settling in
10:00 - 10:15 - announcements
2x2 round
3x3 OH round
5x5 round

lunch

Magic (maybe)
BLD
4x4 round
3x3 round

READ HERE

We have about 5 - 10 people already

Me
Rubixcubematt +1
Timmc
Sidneykun
Xpboy
Todd
Tims friends?

And hopefully more

Last edited:

Rubixcubematt

YouTube
Visit Channel
it shouldn't be that hard to create a website on say 110mb or something like that to advertise up and coming events around australia (i think). plus we could have like an early registration part in the website so we know who will definately be there. @xpboy, what are your records for the 3x3 and 3x3 BLD??? also do you have a youtube channel???

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
hey doung, can u make it?
Levi, i dont think it'll be official.
Tim, can u advertise it on speedcubing.com.
Matt: no website.

Hmm, I'm working on getting 14 peoples to come along to an unofficial competition... No ETA, as the time/venue would need to be determined based on when it suits the majority.

For rubixcubematts comp, forums etc might suffice. And then just spread the world locally. I don't think anyone that looks at the speedcubing.com doesn't already look at this forum and twisty's :p

Tim.

Todd

Thanks for PMing me, lucky i check my email.

Ill have to check - is this official comp or not?

Rubixcubematt

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for PMing me, lucky i check my email.

Ill have to check - is this official comp or not?

no, its unnoficial.

would we need public liability insurance??? coz if some1 gets injured, they could pottentially sue us for not having a safe event. my dad says we should get it, but im sceptical, im sure that no-one would sue some one for taking the initiative to organise an event that hasn't been organised before.if we were going to get the insurance thing, it would be cheaper if it was a private event, any1's views???

Last edited:

Todd

I should have read the topic name more clearly ;-)

In regards to insurance, I doubt it, most places that you can hire out have their own insurance and this is passed on as part of the hiring cost.

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
Proposed Official Competition in early 2009 (unrelated to this unofficial event on November 1st)
GPT are happy discuss sponsoring us for their venue at Melbourne Central. They can also offer PR support and prize donations. In return competitors would have to purchase a $20 gift voucher or something along those lines to cover their costs.

The venue is located near the infamous Seiko watch and has people frequently walking past.

Initial Requirements and Logistics
- Confirm an initial number of competitors.
- Setup a website (currently under development)
- Advertise on speedcubing.com and related websites

If there's only a few people interested, it wouldn't be worth GPTs time IMO to discuss things further.

Requirements:
- 4 * Competition Timers (and displays or laptops connected to the timer)
- 5-6 Tables (competitors, judges, scramblers, registration)
- Chairs for competitors (there's some seating available for spectators a few meters away) & I'm not sure how suitable it would be to have 20+ chairs as the location has heaps of people walking past and there's a restricted size
- Cube covers & Blind folds etc

I'll see if I can get RMIT to sponsor some chairs/tables to borrow as they're literally across the street. They probably have their exam equipment in storage.

Some required persons:
- Graphic Artist for adverts
- Technical writer? for a formal proposal
- A delegate
- An official judge (who wants to learn the rules off by heart and not compete?)
- Scramblers
- Judges & Recorders (see WCA rules and regulations for more info)

***A more concise list of requirements needs to be created***

Overview of Proposal to GPT
The nature of the event:
- Several speed-solving events held one after the other.
- Competitors bring their own puzzles to compete with.
- Puzzles include but are not limited to:
Rubik's Cubes, 2x2x2, Rubik's Revenge, Rubik's Professor,
Rubik's Magic, Megaminx, Square-1, 6x6x6, 7x7x7

Timelines:
- During the Australian Open 2009
- Events held across a Saturday and Sunday (possibly pre-registration on Friday to encourage more competitors)

Equipment required/ supplied & logistics:
- We'll supply tables and chairs, ***hopefully from RMIT***
- Competitor Timers and Displays will be used for recording scores.
- A PA system will be required to make announcements.

Advertising/media used to promote the event:
- Posters around Melbourne Central (iFind electronic adverts in inexpensive)
- Posters at surrounding Universities and Schools
***graphic artist required***

Anticipated PR/media exposure:
- Posters around Melbourne Central are likely to welcome an older audience
- Advertisement at schools will like welcome a younger audience (probably the majority of attendees)

Requirements of Melbourne Central:
- Venue
- PR Support

Any associated costs:
- Costs incurred from requirements of Melbourne Central, hopefully covered by a Gift Voucher registration fee.

---

This is rough brainstorming off the top of my head. Each part needs to be concisely planned out. Help would be appreciated :)

Tim.

Last edited:

Rubixcubematt

YouTube
Visit Channel
Notice
GPT are happy discuss sponsoring us for their venue at Melbourne Central. They can also offer PR support and prize donations. In return competitors would have to purchase a $20 gift voucher or something along those lines to cover their costs.

The venue is located near the infamous Seiko watch and has people frequently walking past.

Initial Requirements and Logistics
- Confirm an initial number of competitors.
- Setup a website (currently under development)
- Advertise on speedcubing.com and related websites

If there's only a few people interested, it wouldn't be worth GPTs time IMO to discuss things further.

Requirements:
- 4 * Competition Timers (and displays or laptops connected to the timer)
- 5-6 Tables (competitors, judges, scramblers, registration)
- Chairs for competitors (there's some seating available for spectators a few meters away) & I'm not sure how suitable it would be to have 20+ chairs as the location has heaps of people walking past and there's a restricted size
- Cube covers & Blind folds etc

I'll see if I can get RMIT to sponsor some chairs/tables to borrow as they're literally across the street. They probably have their exam equipment in storage.

Some required persons:
- Graphic Artist for adverts
- Technical writer? for a formal proposal
- A delegate
- An official judge (who wants to learn the rules off by heart and not compete?)
- Scramblers
- Judges & Recorders (see WCA rules and regulations for more info)

***A more concise list of requirements needs to be created***

Overview of Proposal to GPT
The nature of the event:
- Several speed-solving events held one after the other.
- Competitors bring their own puzzles to compete with.
- Puzzles include but are not limited to:
Rubik's Cubes, 2x2x2, Rubik's Revenge, Rubik's Professor,
Rubik's Magic, Megaminx, Square-1, 6x6x6, 7x7x7

Timelines:
- During the Australian Open 2009
- Events held across a Saturday and Sunday (possibly pre-registration on Friday to encourage more competitors)

Equipment required/ supplied & logistics:
- We'll supply tables and chairs, ***hopefully from RMIT***
- Competitor Timers and Displays will be used for recording scores.
- A PA system will be required to make announcements.

Advertising/media used to promote the event:
- Posters around Melbourne Central (iFind electronic adverts in inexpensive)
- Posters at surrounding Universities and Schools
***graphic artist required***

Anticipated PR/media exposure:
- Posters around Melbourne Central are likely to welcome an older audience
- Advertisement at schools will like welcome a younger audience (probably the majority of attendees)

Requirements of Melbourne Central:
- Venue
- PR Support

Any associated costs:
- Costs incurred from requirements of Melbourne Central, hopefully covered by a Gift Voucher registration fee.

---

This is rough brainstorming off the top of my head. Each part needs to be concisely planned out. Help would be appreciated :)

Tim.

are you organising it tim????