• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree to the last part, but I will have to talk this out with you later in the thread i want to make. I can't right now though, seeing as how I am feeling quite sick. Suffusive to say, your arsen example is in fact Logically sound, but it is not valid. Valid means that the claims are actually true in the real world. Sound just means that it follows logical form without any of the premises being inherently false. My claims, however are sound and valid; winning, in the general sense is the perception by the majority that one person is correct is as true as any statement made about majority of peoples can be (Everyone may not agree on this definition- you obviously don't- but the majority of people would, hence my use of the word majority). It is not a stretch, it just doesn't satisfy you because you are not part of the majority. We can discuss this more later if you would like to.

Who are the people in this supposed majority of yours?

And once again, since you've ignored my previous post, arguments from authority and arguments ad populum are logical fallacies. I posted specific examples of how your claims are not sound or valid, you simply assert your claim's validity, which doesn't cut it.

Also, lol at "Suffusive to say"

Suffice it to say.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Suffusive to say, your arsen example is in fact Logically sound, but it is not valid. Valid means that the claims are actually true in the real world. Sound just means that it follows logical form without any of the premises being inherently false.

That's not what valid means at all. A valid argument is an argument where the conclusion cannot be (actually) false if all premises are (actually) true. You can have a valid argument with a false conclusion, as long as at least one premise is false. You can have a valid argument with a true conclusion and some false premises. When a valid argument has only true premises, this is called a sound argument.

My claims, however are sound and valid; winning, in the general sense is the perception by the majority that one person is correct is as true as any statement made about majority of peoples can be (Everyone may not agree on this definition- you obviously don't- but the majority of people would, hence my use of the word majority). It is not a stretch, it just doesn't satisfy you because you are not part of the majority. We can discuss this more later if you would like to.

Here you seem to be trying to use the fallacy of majority belief to disprove the fallacy of majority belief. Impressive.

Regardless of whether or not some people agree with the basic principles of critical thinking, if you are going to claim that your arguments are based on logic then you must follow all of the rules of logic, not just the ones you make up.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I'm afraid you should probably just drop this line of argument. Making condescending remarks that are riddled with the kind of mistakes that you're criticising is just embarrassing.
Stick to what you're good at (Kick ass videos and really helpful/comprehensive posts for people with questions).

Last edited:

AndyTheBird

YouTube
Visit Channel
How long should I be cubing to get 30 seconds or less?

hi i wanted to ask How long should i be cubing to get 30 seconds or less? i have a dayan zhanchi works great i´ve been cubing like 5 months and my record is 54.xx
i use the fridrich method, would you recommend me other method or keep cubing it and if so how long?

THANKS!

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Everyone improves at different speeds. Some people reach sub-30 in 6 months others in 2 years. It is never too late to change methods, though at this point I don't think that is necessary. Remember when you first learn CFOP your times will increase at first, then decrease over time.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is never too late to change methods

Gonna have to disagree with that. Like colour neutrality, method switching gets very, very hard as you get faster because it feels like trying to break a habit that's well ingrained.

It be done but the question becomes, "is it worth my time to do this or can I just carry on and improve more this way?"

OP: as Zyrb said, everyone improves at their own pace. Not trying to blow my own trumpet here but I improved somewhat fast, getting to sub-20 in 2ish months iirc.

My advice for you is to not worry at all about your time, but be as efficient as possible and come up with different and interesting ways to solve the cube. Just explore and you'll get faster. Remember, turn speed x movecount +hesitations =your time. Movecount is the most important imo.

Also. Don't worry about methods being a limiting factor. Just because 'cfop has the wr' doesn't mean it's impossible to get fast with other methods. I use an uncommon method but I'm getting somewhat fast. By all means if you love CFOP (aka Fridrich) use it. The more you like the method the more you'll be motivated to work at it.

Last edited:

retep

Like Zyrb mentioned, people improve at different paces and some people are just more dedicated to learning and improving, some are more casual cubers. Personally I started cubing mid January (as you can see in my sig) and I reached sub 30 about mid march, so 2 months for me, but there are still people who have been cubing for years before they reached that, and some still haven't reached sub 30.

Many people consider Fridrich method the fastest, but it certainly is possible to achieve great times with other methods. As for which you use, that is up to you, feel free to try out different methods and do whichever you enjoy the most or feel is the best or whatever other criteria you want to base your decision on. There aren't strict rules on how to solve a cube, heck you can even mix and match methods (like start with a roux block then finish your cross and continue solve with fridrich).

Need help with Practicing, how should I be practicing

Here are my stats:

2012-01-16 00:38:17

2012-01-16 01:28:51
119.66 -- Best Time
352.27 -- Worst Time

Avg of 5

2012-01-25 21:33:52
97.68 -- Best Time
148.35 -- Worst Time

Avg of 5

I continued practicing diligently until the end of January, and then I stopped for a while. I'm in college, had second semester starting up. But, my most recent times look like this:

2012-04-11 08:48:55

Avg of 5:

Here is my situation:
I started cubing a while back, I can't seem to break 1:45 like I had quite a while back. I'm torn between intuitive F2L, and the CFOP algs, I'm not sure which way to go, and I can't improve my times. As far as OLL/PLL is going, I can do 2-look PLL no problem. The issue is the 2nd look on the 2-look OLL. I'm having issues recognizing cases and solving them. So a few questions, actually:

1) Intiutive F2L or Algs?
2) Should I be practicing whole solves or just F2L?
3) How do I go about memorizing algs for 2-look OLL/PLL?
4) How should I practice at my current level in order to become better and have faster times?

Ickenicke

YouTube
Visit Channel
1)Intiutive, and maybe some algs if you are having some cases that you really hate.
2)Both
3) Just do them over and over again until you will feel that in the fingers. (muscle memory)
4) Just solve, solve and practising algs and lookahead.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
What Ickenicke said, but for 1) I'd say they'll both end up around the same place so what you may find useful is to look at the algs and just follow what they do, how the edge and corner move around, then work out how you could apply those sorts of moves if it was say on the left side, or on the back.

cerbr

How to be faster with F2l

Hello,
Yesterday I have saw RiDo's hunting story (thanks for him) and I just began to start with intuitive F2L.

I was doing this in 35 seconds.
Now i am doing in 20-25 seconds. I think that It will be hard to improve this time.

So what can I do to improve it?

PS: I don't want to learn the real algs.

pi.cubed

Considering you just learned it yesterday, I would say that the best way for you to improve at the moment is to simply practise it. When you become more experienced and faster at F2L, you will want to look into things like lookahead and better 'algorithms'.

Also, please put a question mark at the end of your questions. When I read the thread title, I thought it was a tutorial on how to be faster with F2L.

Good luck with improving.

edit: Welcome to the forums!

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It just takes time. As you see the cases more often and become more comfortable solving each pair you'll just naturally get faster. Also you'll need to learn to look ahead ( i.e. not look at the pair you're solving, but the next pair you're about to solve).

cerbr

Ok thank you.

I think I will practice during 1 week and see if my time solbing of F2L
is under 15 seconds.
If it is, then i will learn look ahead.
If it isn't i will practice again.

One more question:
Is the rido's hunting story good?
Because i'm afraid if these "algorithms" are not too long to do.

Last edited:

cuber08

How do I get faster with F2L?

hey guys i just started learning fridrich a few weeks ago after i got my time to 53.71 with LBL so i was wondering if any of you more experienced cuvers had any advice on doing tye F2L quickly....i times my F2l and my LL amd F2L is 89.14 and LL is 22.86....any advice? thanks in advance!

aznanimedude

lots of practice to get used to the cases
lots of just playing around so you can get an understanding of pair+insert
once you're comfortable with the idea of pair+inserts, learning to trust yourself to do it properly so you can now focus on planning the next insertion rather than focusing on the current one you're doing

but lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of practice is good
there's a reason the saying is practice makes perfect

CubeRoots

WCA
2012LIVS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
are you learning with algorithms or intuitively? I found Badmephistos youtube series on f2l goodyou really need to understand iit, and then practice a lot in order to get your times down. Thhis is really important in pretty much any method you learn. really crucial with f2l though

andyfreeman

As above really. It took me ages to recognise cases and decide what to do with them. It was only after a lot of practice did it become intuitive: the brain just gets used to recognising cases and knows what to do with them without thinking. But it does happen, when depends on the cuber, but you will notice it will suddenly "click"

Once you recgonise the cases a bit better, the next step is look-ahead.

There are plenty of vids on Youtube for this, although this is my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfE7jYOXbgg&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLTAlfxPPpcEuH7iUxt8VXEQ

Using the metronome technique really helped speed me up and drop over 10s off my F2L, although it took a while and was frustrating at first because the pace was far slower than what I was used to. But it teaches you the most important rule: looking ahead. Going slow and looking ahead really works

Good luck.