• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Joel2274

That's perfectly alright bruh. I've been cubing for more than a year now and I avg about 26 secs and I don't even know full PLL yet. I just need to suck it up and memorize all those algs and try to get at least 1 sub 20 solve.

YTCuber

That's perfectly alright bruh. I've been cubing for more than a year now and I avg about 26 secs and I don't even know full PLL yet. I just need to suck it up and memorize all those algs and try to get at least 1 sub 20 solve.

if u avg 26 secs 1 sub20 single is easy
just get a pll or oll or ll skip

CubePro

YouTube
Visit Channel
Time List:
1. 18.25 B' D2 B L2 D2 R2 F' U2 R2 B2 L' U R' F' L2 D B' L2 R2
2. 24.22 L2 D' F2 D' B2 U2 B2 U' R2 D' F' U F L D' F' U R' U' B
3. 23.67 R2 F L2 U2 F' D2 L2 F2 U2 R2 B2 L B2 D R2 F D U' L B' R2
4. 19.21 B L2 D2 B' F' R2 F' L2 R2 U2 F' L D L2 B2 D B' F' U L' R
5. 24.79 U B2 U R2 D2 R2 U F2 D R2 B2 L' F2 U2 B' L R F2 D' U2 F'
Feedback for the solves please guys ^_^
PB ao5 :D

I need feedback...again :p. Please guys do look at all the solves and tell me how I can improve. And has my cross improved? I'm trying to look ahead now and it's working it seems. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

asacuber

WCA
2015SANT44
YouTube
Visit Channel
Pretty good for a first try,just turn slow to give you more time to look ahead during cross and F2L and insert easy/free pairs without doing rotations. Cyoubx has a good video for getting sub 20.

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1TjMa7nexQ
Time List:
1. 18.25 B' D2 B L2 D2 R2 F' U2 R2 B2 L' U R' F' L2 D B' L2 R2
2. 24.22 L2 D' F2 D' B2 U2 B2 U' R2 D' F' U F L D' F' U R' U' B
3. 23.67 R2 F L2 U2 F' D2 L2 F2 U2 R2 B2 L B2 D R2 F D U' L B' R2
4. 19.21 B L2 D2 B' F' R2 F' L2 R2 U2 F' L D L2 B2 D B' F' U L' R
5. 24.79 U B2 U R2 D2 R2 U F2 D R2 B2 L' F2 U2 B' L R F2 D' U2 F'
Feedback for the solves please guys ^_^
PB ao5 :D

I need feedback...again :p. Please guys do look at all the solves and tell me how I can improve. And has my cross improved? I'm trying to look ahead now and it's working it seems. Thanks!

Cubepro you're back! You've gotten quite fast for the period of time you've practised.

Last solve is a clear example of missing look ahead. You took a long time to find the first pair. If possible do the cross without looking and focus on the F2L pairs. I said it before and I'll say it again.

Also cube rotate less. You are definitely cube rotating way too much. When I first started I'd do the back pairs in the open front slots (before I do the front) then insert them at the back.

CubePro

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes MoyuFTW! I'm back LOL. Yea I've been practicing my cross and that pause at the last solve was way too long. And I can do like 3/5 crosses without looking so that I can look for my pairs. Has my cross IMPROVED BTW? Thanks for the advice again MoyuFTW.

BTW this ao5 was on my new Aolong V2 :D

CubePro

YouTube
Visit Channel
Pretty good for a first try,just turn slow to give you more time to look ahead during cross and F2L and insert easy/free pairs without doing rotations. Cyoubx has a good video for getting sub 20.

Yes I'm trying to get a good cross. And no I don't think that I'm even sub-25 lol so what will I do by watching how to get sub-20 lol.
And what is your average being an Indian? I haven't seen many fast cubers in India.

asacuber

WCA
2015SANT44
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes I'm trying to get a good cross. And no I don't think that I'm even sub-25 lol so what will I do by watching how to get sub-20 lol.
And what is your average being an Indian? I haven't seen many fast cubers in India.

It will still work :D(I had to practice and learn a lot of OLL to get sub 20 that is not necessary,just good F2L and practice is required). I average about 17s. My goal is to get sub 15 ASAP.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice. So how long have you been cubing for and what do you avg? And am I doing good for my time?

Who me? First off, it's worth noting that CFOP (for which i am just about sub-20) is not my primary method and my "CFOP" is more akin to FreeZB although my main is Roux. I average ~15 hopefully sub-15 soon. I first solved a cube 10.5 months ago and first started practising properly around 7-8 months ago.

I also spend a lot of time with a cube not actually speedsolving but just seeing what methods I can come up with that are good. However, I can get away with this somewhat because as Roux block building can be helped by this.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Who me? First off, it's worth noting that CFOP (for which i am just about sub-20) is not my primary method and my "CFOP" is more akin to FreeZB although my main is Roux. I average ~15 hopefully sub-15 soon. I first solved a cube 10.5 months ago and first started practising properly around 7-8 months ago.

I also spend a lot of time with a cube not actually speedsolving but just seeing what methods I can come up with that are good. However, I can get away with this somewhat because as Roux block building can be helped by this.

I would put you on the "fast improvers" group. Maybe not PDF-fast :) but quite fast indeed. Averaging around 15 in less than a year is very, very good. I cannot compare because I'm over 40 (years, not seconds :)) but I've been cubing for over two years now and I'm still struggling with sub-20 with my main method (CFOP).

I tried Roux and really liked it but did not practise long enough to get decent times with it, just around 45 average more or less. Of course, once you are decently fast with one method, you progress faster with a 2nd or 3rd one but it even took me some days, maybe a couple of weeks but not practising that much to be honest, to get below 1 minute with Roux.

I would recommend somebody that's young and has spare time to practice to learn more than 1 method as things that you practise in one can help you with the other. CFOP, Roux and ZZ, probably even Petrus for block building. The more the better. I also can solve with ZZ but I need much more than 15 sec inspection to remember which edges are good/bad and plan EOline.

asacuber

WCA
2015SANT44
YouTube
Visit Channel

Nice! I first solved a cube in Nov 2013 and seriously started cubing around like March-June 2014(I exactly don't remember).anyway its about the time you get for cubing to decide the pace of your improvement

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
I would put you on the "fast improvers" group. Maybe not PDF-fast :) but quite fast indeed. Averaging around 15 in less than a year is very, very good. I cannot compare because I'm over 40 (years, not seconds :)) but I've been cubing for over two years now and I'm still struggling with sub-20 with my main method (CFOP).

I tried Roux and really liked it but did not practise long enough to get decent times with it, just around 45 average more or less. Of course, once you are decently fast with one method, you progress faster with a 2nd or 3rd one but it even took me some days, maybe a couple of weeks but not practising that much to be honest, to get below 1 minute with Roux.

I would recommend somebody that's young and has spare time to practice to learn more than 1 method as things that you practise in one can help you with the other. CFOP, Roux and ZZ, probably even Petrus for block building. The more the better. I also can solve with ZZ but I need much more than 15 sec inspection to remember which edges are good/bad and plan EOline.

So is Felik's sub 20 in 2 months considered a superduperfastimprover?

Back to topic, your cross may need just a little bit more work. Once more, your LL is good but lookahead and cross aren't the best. Work on going from cross to first F2L. Try just solving the first two layers instead of doing the whole cube to save time.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
As far as I'm aware, feliks was not globally sub-20 after 2months although he did have a sub-20 Ao12 (which admittedly is still pretty insane)
Back to topic, your cross may need just a little bit more work. Once more, your LL is good but lookahead and cross aren't the best. Work on going from cross to first F2L. Try just solving the first two layers instead of doing the whole cube to save time.

I agree with this. Drilling steps is always a good way to improve. If you can watch the cube practise lookahead. If you're watching a video you can always just drill algs as that will eventually cycle.

Main tips are go for efficiency in F2L over tps. This I find will actually help improve your lookahead which will help fluency.

The only problem you may come across is that your solves may become disjointed between F2L and LL so be sure to do a few full solves every now and then.

Raiscube

Hey guys thanks for all of the advice. And sorry i dont use skype i use to many years ago but not anymore. I have been solving aboit 10 times a day but i am going to bump it up to at least 30 like you said.

Also i just timed myself on that site and i got 2.19. I am going to work on that. I am a bit slow and not very good at finger tricking. If i finger tricked my time would have been alot longer because i would have to think about what finger trick to do. Why?
Can some people not finger trick?

I need to continue beating the cube untill the algorithims become second nature and then i can practice finger tricking them. I just get confused because i guess i am still new. There is no point in rushing it. Id rather enjoy my cube than feeling like its work. I do it because its fun.

If i solve 30 times a day, how long until i am under 2 minutes at least?

I am going to practice finger tricking while i solve lol. Also

For the oll and pll i will look into that but i want to do a couple hundred more solves with basic algorithims just to lock into memory what i already know.

2 look oll and 2 look pll hmm? I am pretty quick on the last layer usually but orientating the last four corners i can see how i could master finger tricking it. I will look into it tomorrow i gotta goto bed for work.

Looking forward to more replies and advice!

CubeWizard23

WCA
2015GAMB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys thanks for all of the advice. And sorry i dont use skype i use to many years ago but not anymore. I have been solving aboit 10 times a day but i am going to bump it up to at least 30 like you said.

Also i just timed myself on that site and i got 2.19. I am going to work on that. I am a bit slow and not very good at finger tricking. If i finger tricked my time would have been alot longer because i would have to think about what finger trick to do. Why?

I need to continue beating the cube untill the algorithims become second nature and then i can practice finger tricking them. I just get confused because i guess i am still new. There is no point in rushing it. Id rather enjoy my cube than feeling like its work. I do it because its fun.

For the oll and pll i will look into that but i want to do a couple hundred more solves with basic algorithims just to lock into memory what i already know.

2 look oll and 2 look pll hmm? I am pretty quick on the last layer usually but orientating the last four corners i can see how i could master finger tricking it. I will look into it tomorrow i gotta goto bed for work.

try to get a solid ~10-12 hours in in a week and you should see improvement quickly, you should be able to sub 1 it with beginner method. as for last four corners you probably use R' D' R D correct? do a x' and U' R' U R, it is much faster

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05

Fingertricks do come with practice. Same with your times. Have some patience, it may not all come instantly.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's not the same getting your 1st sub-20 Ao5 than being globally sub-20 (let's say Ao1000 or greater). My latest Ao500 is around 19.80 so I might consider myself finally gobally sub-20 after 2 years of cubing but my first sub-20 Ao5 was a bit more than a year ago. Now my PB Ao5 is 15.58 and I don't consider myself sub-16 at all. But yeah, Feliks case is far from normal. Sub-15 average in less than a year is still very fast improvement.