• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Need help on F2L look ahead. Maybe somthing other than slow turning, because I am trying that already

You can try my Alg trainer (see link in my signature). Here you can rapidly set up F2L cases and execute them over and over again. You can learn the hard cases (like 10 or so) in an algoritm way and do all others just on intuition.

ScramblerV1_0_11-01.png

Isaac Paurus

I average about 28-29 on a good day (after warmed up and in the groove of cubing) and sometimes 30-31 on bad days (when i just cant get it right) cross is about 3 seconds, f2l is about 15+ seconds, OLL and PLL are about 3 or less seconds each. i know full PLL except G perms and one of the N perms. any help? oh also 2 look OLL with a few thrown in there too.

aznanimedude

learn ZZ, boom instant 1 look OLL if you know 2 look already

now for serious answer: F2L always can be improved, get that down, tons of improvements

speedpicker

F2L is the way forward. If you have an 8 second last layer, thats fine at the moment, cross plus f2l really should be your focus as 23 seconds is a fairly long time, and a bit of work in this area will get you to sub 30 in no time. In fact I would leave your last layer until you are perhaps sub 25, F2L is really where your focus should be.

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. My algorithm execution times are very slow, mostly due to re-grips and using the wrong fingers for specific moves. Is there any good video describing optimal finger positions/finger tricks? This is where I need to improve most. Basic algs like the Sune take me 2 seconds. F U R U' R' F' takes me 2 seconds. Please help.

speedpicker

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. My algorithm execution times are very slow, mostly due to re-grips and using the wrong fingers for specific moves. Is there any good video describing optimal finger positions/finger tricks? This is where I need to improve most. Basic algs like the Sune take me 2 seconds. F U R U' R' F' takes me 2 seconds. Please help.

I have just the thing for this. Basically, I have just put together a document outlining the optimised fingertricks of top cubers for each and every OLL, using my new fingertrick notation. Contained within are multiple algs for every OLL case, along with which finger to use at which point when to achieve the fewest regrips/rotations/awkward finger resets possible. Also I am releasing information on a couple of new ideas fignertrick wise that have real potential, so I will probably do a short video demo of each of those. There is an extended essay on fingertricks and their execution preambling the body of the document, so you may find some help there. The idea is that you can put it on a kindle/tablet/phone and have it as a constant reference not only of the moves for a given OLL, but how to execute them, rendering it a cut above every other OLL/PLL document I have seen. Those without portable devices can of course just print out "todays alg" individually and learn it, but I originally began developing it to sit on my kindle. I was hoping to have it out last week, but work commitments got in the way. PM me with an email address and I will make sure you get an advance preview, and I can send you the appropriate excerpts for the algs you mention and any others you wish.

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have just the thing for this. Basically, I have just put together a document outlining the optimised fingertricks of top cubers for each and every OLL, using my new fingertrick notation. Contained within are multiple algs for every OLL case, along with which finger to use at which point when to achieve the fewest regrips/rotations/awkward finger resets possible. Also I am releasing information on a couple of new ideas fignertrick wise that have real potential, so I will probably do a short video demo of each of those. There is an extended essay on fingertricks and their execution preambling the body of the document, so you may find some help there. The idea is that you can put it on a kindle/tablet/phone and have it as a constant reference not only of the moves for a given OLL, but how to execute them, rendering it a cut above every other OLL/PLL document I have seen. Those without portable devices can of course just print out "todays alg" individually and learn it, but I originally began developing it to sit on my kindle. I was hoping to have it out last week, but work commitments got in the way. PM me with an email address and I will make sure you get an advance preview, and I can send you the appropriate excerpts for the algs you mention and any others you wish.

That's amazing! I would love to see the preview. I will PM you my email. Are you including F2L and PLL as well?

speedpicker

This sounds awesome, can't wait to see it!

ellwd, I sent kunparekh18 a sneak preview of the document, cut down to just the two look cases, but including most of the extended essays on fingertricks/AUF/OLL selection etc. I am after a bit of feedback prior to releasing the full thing. Its almost 100 pages, has taken me literally weeks to write and since Ive put in so much effort, I dont want to release it until its perfect. Would you also like to take a look at it, perhaps let me know what you think before I put a final version for download on the forum? If you would, PM me an email address I can send it to.

algsforlulz

Best way to improve times?

I solve at about low 30s at a consistent rate using 4LLL What are good ways people like me can improve times to consistently be in the 20s?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Low 30s is a good time to be adding in new PLLs to eventually have full PLL. Do lots of slow solves, looking for more efficient ways to solve your F2L slots. Being able to solve F2L cases into the back and lefty are very, very important skills. When you do slow solves, try to have perfect lookahead, and try to bring some of this lookahead into your full speed solves. Try to plan your whole cross during inspection, and use the time spent solving the cross to find your first pair. Once you're sub-25 it will be a good idea to start learning full OLL, but it's never to early to start!

And, of course, the obligatory: practice.

And, of course, the obligatory: learn BLD

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
CFOP Sub-40 Help!

My averages are consistent between 40 and 45 seconds, but I just can't get sub-40 averages.

Here are my splits :

Cross on bottom: 5-10s
Partial intuitive F2L/LBL: 20s
4LLL: 15-20s

Where should I work on? I can share my algs if you want me to. I have seen many people averaging 30s with the same method. I've benn stuck at this 40-45s average for 1 week now, and it's frustrating.

I'll try to post an avg5 video if I get the time to.

I've seen badmephisto's cross videos, but I'm just not able to use them in a real solve.

I also want to hear how you guys cleared the 40 second barrier.

Cube: Zhanchi.

Thanks, Kunaal.

Last edited:

TP

WCA
2013PETT01
Sounds a lot like me a month ago. My splits now are:
Cross: 5s
F2L: 17s
3LLL: 11s

For getting better at the cross I did random scrambles and started to try and insert 3 pieces while closing my eyes, then 3 pieces while keeping track of the last one and then insert all 4.

F2L is mostly practise and avoiding cube rotations.

Full PLL is a good way to improve last layer, speedpicker has real nice algorithms here: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/s...LL)-algorithms&p=808791&viewfull=1#post808791

That´s how I went from ~45s to ~33s. Work on recognition a lot, dont be afraid to take your time and really figure out how the best way is.