• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
CFOP 3x3 Help! Anything apreciated!

I have been using CFOP for a while now (8 months, and I feel everyone else got to sub 15 in that time), and my times have dropped to around 30, then I hit a wall. I learned to look ahead, and my times are beginning to drop again. However, I have many problems still, and any comments (except stupid ones) will be apreciated.
Stop worrying and start objectively and specifically criticising your own solves. Both will make you feel depressed but the latter is actually productive.
1. My cross is just awful, and I know people say it is just intuitive/easy, but i think it is hindering times. My cross is around 4-8 secs.
Have you thought about practising your cross movecout? Or even practising your cross at all?
2. My times are very inconsistent- depending on the day they can be anything from 23-33 secs, making my average inconsitent as well which is just frustrating.
Do large averages, and specific practice
3. I feel my PLLs are slow compared with everyone else dispite having practiced them.
Then you're not practising right. You have to force the times down not just sit there mindlessly repeating algs
4. I know 2 look OLL and about 4 OLL algs.
If what you think is 2LOLL is correct you must know more than 8 OLLs
5. I think my F2L is slow, as in it takes me 10 moves to place 1 akward pair - I see people doing it in 5.
Awkward pairs in 5 moves? Pah, some are optimal 9. For the 4nd time, practise and turn slowly
6. Should I learn another method? (I don't really want to but I may if I am confident enough or think it will help my CFOP)
Bold text is the clue here
Any tips would help. Should I Learn more algs for anything? Any specific videos I show get tips from? Will my times just keep dropping with practice?
If your times don't drop with practise you're not practising well.
And my main tip for you is to do detailed work on very very specific steps and then working on stringing them together smoothly. Stop spending time watching videos or asking for tips and begin to practise. I am not even trying to be rude this time, independent learning at the beginning stages is always a good idea.
(And please dont spam ROOOOOOUXXXXX!!!, as it isn't very helpful to me).
Oh you.
P.S I use a V2 Stickerless Guhong and I have a Stickerd Zanchi in the post. Recommendations? I'm quite an innacurate turner.
bold text is the clue here. Work on accuracy using the metronome and making each turn flow into the next
As for the cube its fine

Last edited:

r3v31a7i0n

Slow in Fridrich method

I've recently began to have an interest in solving a cube again and right now, I'm changing my old way of solving which is using Beginner's method into Fridrich method(intermediate).
After a nearly a month of practicing F2L in fridrich method, I feel no improvement at all and I don't know why:(. Compare to beginner's method, I can solve f2l in less then 20 sec and solve the entire cube within 30 -50 sec ,unlike in fridrich method which took me nearly 45sec in f2l and 1min 30 sec for the entire cube. Quite shocking, isn't it? I've seen alot of videos and post saying they have solve the cube in less than 20 sec using fridrich method but for me I can't...
I'm using intuition for f2l and 2look pll and oll in solving....Any suggestion to make my speed a little bit faster?

I have a lubricated Rubik's brand cube, I 've learned F2L, 2look OLL and 2look PLL, but I still only average about 0.55-1.20 minutes. I guess I use like 40 seconds on F2L, and from what I've read, I "just have to practice..". Ain't there a faster way, to get faster?

Speedmaster

I have a lubricated Rubik's brand cube, I 've learned F2L, 2look OLL and 2look PLL, but I still only average about 0.55-1.20 minutes. I guess I use like 40 seconds on F2L, and from what I've read, I "just have to practice..". Ain't there a faster way, to get faster?

do slowturning, do reduce your movecount and to get look ahead during f2l... and of course practise more if it is possible, sub 16 is extremely easy to reach ;D if you practise enough !

Speedmaster

Just turn as slow as it needs, to have a pause less solve

Sorry can't describe you what I want you to say in English...

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
One thing I've found particularly useful recently, with respect to my F2L and making it more intuitive, has been casually solving with ZZ.

This is because after EOLine, you are reduced to a fixed orientation and a reduced movegroup.

(EO isn't that hard to pick up; there is a great description of it on Lars Petrus' site. For casual solving purposes you don't have to fix all the edges in one go. 2 or 4 at a time is fine)

These restrictions make it impossible to use a lot of the usual insertions and triggers. No sledgehammers, M-slice or wide turn insertions, or reducing corner-edge pairs to e.g. y' R' U' R. Therefore one has to really learn to understand how the pieces move about in relation to each other. Use of "empty slots" becomes more important, and having to think about simultaneously placing the last two first-layer edges adds an element of challenge which I enjoy.

If you get to the LL and you haven't got a cross: you got it wrong!

For ZZ-loyalists and blockbuilders, I am *not* suggesting that you can do ZZ by placing edges and then treating the remainder of the solve as four CFOP-type slots. Rather that exploring different methods can make you a better cuber overall.

IQubic

WCA
2014CASP01
I use intiutive F2L, 2-look OLL + The Dot Cases (More coming), 1-Look PLL, but I average around 1 minute, why? Check my sig for a breakdown each step.
P.S. I use a store bought rubiks brand cube.

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
You might want to stop timing your solves for a while and do slow solves without pauses instead. I can't see in your sig what your pll times are, but I'm guessing 10. Try to get faster at that by doing your algs over an over (10 Aa, 10 Ab, 10 E....) then just time one Ao12 a day/week to see if here is any improvement.

Lanttikasa

What should i do next?

Hello,

I am about to participate to my first official rubiks cube competetion.
My average is 21sec, but i would like to get sub 20 on the competition. there is only 2 weeks time.
So, what should i do next? i know full PLL about 3/4 Olls and my F2L takes about 12-13 secs.
Should i practice F2L more or cross(2-3sec) or LL?

Thanks.

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
just keep practising f2l. don't learn any more algorithms until after the competition because if you get a case that you learn a few weeks before the competition in an official solve, youre more likely to mess it up

inb4 oaqt merge

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am stuck at like 32ish averages. I want to get faster and sub-30 average and a sub-20 single (if I can). My f2l isn't that bad. I know 2LOLL with a few for easy cases. Should I just work on lookahead, learn some f2l algs for the bad cases that hurt me or get full OLL.

already1329

I am stuck at like 32ish averages. I want to get faster and sub-30 average and a sub-20 single (if I can). My f2l isn't that bad. I know 2LOLL with a few for easy cases. Should I just work on lookahead, learn some f2l algs for the bad cases that hurt me or get full OLL.

Practice the full solve a lot, learn more OLL and maybe F2L algs, and switch to Roux.