• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] 3BLD: 56.499 Avg5, 55.671 Mo3 [Bonus 49.193 Single]

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

My think ahead is really bad :(

Any insight from fast/faster 3BLD solvers? I more or less know what my strengths and weaknesses are, but I'm interested to hear some thoughts on targeted practice I could be doing that I might not have thought of :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you're having trouble with think ahead, try a safer memo time (maybe take 5 extra seconds) to make sure you don't pause trying to remember a pair and have a little time to think about what comms to use. I've found that if I imagine executing a corner comm while memoing, I don't pause for it at all..

Also you might want to try turning a little slower.

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Jabari more or less nailed it. I know for sure that I don't try to actively think ahead in blind solves, but I didn't realize how bad it was until watching these solves, so I'm almost definitely going to start practicing pauseless solving even if it means having like .5 tps :p

As for memoing slower, I don't exactly memo quickly to begin with plus I've never practiced pushing memo, so I feel like that's a step in the wrong direction. Besides, for corners I'm planning on gravitating towards sentence memo which makes more sense than images once you're at the point where solves only take like 40 seconds or so.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know for sure that I don't try to actively think ahead in blind solves, but I didn't realize how bad it was until watching these solves,
So what are you thinking? Trying to recall the memo and maybe recall a comm learned as an alg? Or trying to figure out comms or setup moves on the fly? Or both?

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So what are you thinking? Trying to recall the memo and maybe recall a comm learned as an alg? Or trying to figure out comms or setup moves on the fly? Or both?

Memo usually comes back before anything else. After that I figure out how to do the comm (99% of the time I can trace it out intuitively because algorithmic is hard).

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Memo usually comes back before anything else. After that I figure out how to do the comm (99% of the time I can trace it out intuitively because algorithmic is hard).
Yeah this is why I'm interested. I'm trying to learn some corner comms and on sighted solves can figure them out, eventually, but I cannot imagine being able to think ahead to figure out the next comm while finishing up another that I also had to figure out intuitively. I wonder if it's like F2L, where intuitive is the best way to learn but all the case solutions become unthinking in the end.