• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Transparent cube and low light

Cristobal

I am about to to pull the trigger and buy a crystal Yulong, but I am pretty worry about cubing in low light conditions. Apparently the green and blue colours are very alike.

I already experience some confusion between white and yellow on my stickerless Yulong and Guanlong in low light. So I m pretty hesitant. Should I buy a solid cube instead, just to be more comfortable?

Cristobal

I cube for fun and only aim at around 1 minute solving time (my average time is 2'30...), so competition is an abstract concept to me.:)

However I found the transparent pretty cool, but you are right due to my bad eyes, solid colours are probably the way to go.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
They are nice cubes but useless for solving quickly. The biggest problem is the "white" pieces. As they are colourless then all you can see is the colours on the other side of the piece.

Cristobal

OK, cool cube but not very practical...
So now I'm hesitating between the stickerless Yulong (already have one, but I like it so much) and the Yuxin 3x3...

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's not much between them so I'd go with what you know you like out of those 2. Of course the Qiyi Thunderclap is close in price and better than both of them (in my opinion).

Cristobal

I already have a Thunderclap, and made my best time with it (1'56), closely followed by the Yulong (2 seconds). However I am not experienced and fast enough (been cubing for 2 weeks) to fully use the Thunderclap potential. Since my goal is not to speedcube, if I approach the 1 minute time to solve a cube, I would be glad.
I like the feel, the weight and the balance of the Yulong, so I will likely end up buying a 2nd Yulong as a back up cube.

Seanliu

YouTube
Visit Channel
if your goal isn't speed, I'd say that the transparent cube is the choice for you. I have tried a transparent AoLong (which is similar to the Crystal YuLong in the sense that they're both transparent), and it didn't interfere with the lookahead that much. At that time, I was averaging 18 seconds, and the time that I got on the Transparent AoLong was around 20 seconds. Not that big of a problem.

If you already have a speed cube, I'd recommend you get the Crystal, just because it's beautiful, and will be fun to solve (for me). And, as shadowslice said, you shouldn't be cubing in low light anyway. You can't tell the stickers apart in extreme low light, no matter how high the contrast.

Tahrbo

I have the transparent yulong. Don't worry about low light, you can't tell the pieces apart in good light either.

This.

While the "gem" cubes are beautiful, there is too little contrast between too many shades of the cube. All of my friends who have scrambed my transparent Yulong have remarked that the colors are hard to distinguish from each other.

It's a beautiful cube, but you'll probably get fits if you try to speedsolve it.

One good thing I learned from mine is that I'll never need to buy the transparent 4x4 cube or any of the higher ones for that matter. Saves me a bit of money. ;)