• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How in the world can I not get bullied for being a female cuber?

NyxCube

I keep getting put down by boys that can solve the cube faster than me and it also isn't helping how girls say I should give up. My parents also don't like me cubing saying it's a waste of time and money.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the issue of people saying cubing is a waste of time is not directly related to you being female.
Just tell yourself you have fun cubing and other people do lots of useless stuff all day. :)
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Something like that.

The people putting you down are just idiots I suppose. Try to be with nice people, you can find plenty of them on this forum for example. :eek:

zyxantjcae654

Female cubers are cool. Be prettier while you do it to intensify the effect. Show your parents cubing has good influence to you. Always say to yourself that male speedcubers adore their female counterpart. Say to others that there are hundreds of male cubers slower than you. If everybody still cannot consider acceptance, there are still communities appropriate, like speedcubing.com to talk all about cubing. IMO.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright what cuber in the right mind would make fun of you for being a girl??? They're probably mad that you can do something they can do and are scared that you will be able to do it better than them. Also, whoever is bullying you about this is probably like 12.

Siddharth

Dont think about the guys who are bullying you....Just ignore them and practise..
Who knows, maybe one day you might be faster than most guys and they will beg you to forgive them..
Anyway..being a female isn't any reason to stop or quit cubing
And exactly...take your parents to a comp like Starcuber said..that wil definitely help

rowan

WCA
2014HOLO01
There are lots of great female cubers. I would try going to a competition, you probably won't be the only girl there and everyone is always so encouraging no matter what gender you are. Unfortunately, you can't stop people from saying whatever they want to you. Your best bet is to ignore it and see it as an even better reason for you to improve your times.

If you're curious about Female Unofficial World Records, this site lets you sort by gender. I've also had people tell me girls are not good at solving Rubik's cubes or whatever, unfortunately when you're a minority in a hobby, some people are just gonna be rude. As far as your parents go, cubing is a very relatively inexpensive hobby and there are many worse things you could be doing with your time. Try to remind them of that :)

cuberkid10

WCA
2010HULL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly, if you like to cube, then just do it. I had the same problem with my parents disliking cubing when I was younger, but they've come around. Try not to care what others think too much, because it really only matters what you think. Who cares if they are faster than you? There will practically always be people faster than you (unless you are Lucas or Feliks :p). Plus, the majority of cubers are really nice. You might have just found some bad eggs.

Plus, I hear female cubers are kinda cool ^.^

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't even understand why gender is playing a role here. Females are going to school, doing studies and doing a lot of activities that boys do,so doing Rubiks cube should be one of them too. And getting put down by boys because they are faster than you is just how you think about it. There are girls who are faster than me on the cube, does that make me want to quit? Nope, if I practice then someday I can get equally fast or faster than them. Use that for motivation, not the other way round. Next girls saying you should give up, you should stop caring what others say and start listening to yourself. Lots of people told me that "X" was tough for me, however I am doing it as I keep on doing it, I am getting better. I am doing it because I like doing it, not because others are doing it, or for proving to others. I don't have anything to say about time, you are wasting time while sleeping so why do it right?you are wasting time by bathing, so why do it? You are wasting time by going to school, so start homeschooling. It depends on your perspective/ how you look at it. Now, for money, you don't have to get all the latest cubes. Get a Thunderclap or something similar and practice. You can get faster using just that cube and if you want to start some other events, buy cubes for that and don't buy all the latest ones that are coming out.
You can ask me for anything else :)

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If it makes you feel any better... guys are pretty competitive and will put each other down because they can solve the cube faster, and a lot of parents of guy cubers also think it's a waste of time and money. So you're not alone in this. It might help to make more cuber friends so you have someone supportive to talk with.

Praetorian

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sorry that this is happening to you, I hope it helps to know that a big majority of cubers are very nice people. If it's a hobby you like it shouldn't matter what others think, keep doing it and keep having fun, others opinions won't affect you as long as you don't let them affect you. as for parents disliking it, it's much better than playing violent video games and cubing is a lot cheaper than that aswell

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are younger but it blows my mind that your parents have negative things to say. There are a lot worse things you could be doing. I'm almost 30 and just started about a month ago in my free time and it's addicting. Just stick with it and ignore what other people say. Do what you wanna do.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lots of good comments, but I wanted to throw in that I agree that most of the cubing community are good people, and the boys putting you down are just jerks and not worth your time.

As for parents not approving, I had this pretty bad when I first started. Tell your parents it is important to you and that it won't affect your grades. Mine came around eventually and I think yours will too. Just give them time, but be insistent.

As for girls telling you to stop, they're not worth your time. I don't know how old you are, but as you get into high school and college and beyond your friends and peers will generally think that your cubing is fascinating!

Good luck, and it gets better! Stick with cubing, you won't regret it :)

Zdudel11

People are bullying you? Seriously? In the cubing world that's the equivalent of a girl gamer. Honestly, just ignore them.

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
yeah, for the bullies, why not report that to someone? assuming you haven't already. as for your parents, I have no idea. my parents are super supportive of all my cubing (to the point where my dad learned to cube.) so yeah. that's my (probably useless) take on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zdudel11

yeah. for the bullies, why not report that to someone? assuming you haven't already. as for your parents, I have no idea. my parents are super supportive of all my cubing (to the point where my dad learned to cube.) so yeah. that's my (probably useless) take on it.

I taught my mom 2x2 and 3x3 so my dad bought me an aofu and 9x9 [emoji4]

My parents are also very supportive, but not all people have the same view on things like this. My mom thinks that me playing video games is a waste of time, yet my dad claims that video games got him where he is today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaleb

My dad really hates me doing all of my hobbies etc. Cubing and trading card games. But i still do it because i enjoy doing it plus when you make other friends through it it nakes it even better. So id say keep doing it if it makes you happy and make other friends that enjoy doing it aswell.;-)