• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
I also have a question about WCA regulations on stickers. How "un-chipped" do they have to be to be allowed for competition?

Hi all,

I have registered for the Sydney Summer 2015 competiton and I am a first time WCA competitor. Just wondering what is the process when you register and how do they give you your WCA name and what is the usual process pre-competition and on the day.It would be great if you give me some advice.

Competiton Website:http://speedcubing.com.au/SydneySummer2015/

Regards,
Nicholas

They usually give you your name based on several things. Year registered + Three characters of last name + some number I'm not sure of
Pre competition? Practice

At the competition just walk up to the table. It'll be different at different competitions but in the one I went to, I walked up ticked off my name and collected a lanyard with my name on it. Then just wait for your name to be called out. Then bring your cube down to the front and put it on the scramble sheet. Then wait and solve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPL3eV-A0ww

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi all,

I have registered for the Sydney Summer 2015 competiton and I am a first time WCA competitor. Just wondering what is the process when you register and how do they give you your WCA name and what is the usual process pre-competition and on the day.It would be great if you give me some advice.

Competiton Website:http://speedcubing.com.au/SydneySummer2015/

Regards,
Nicholas

Hi Nicholas, I might see you there!

You will automatically get a WCA ID when the competition results are processed. Your ID will be GAYE2015XX, where XX is a number that depends on how many other GAYE2015's there are.

Pre-competition you don't have to do anything. You will receive an e-mail in the coming weeks giving you some more information, so read it carefully and follow any instructions on it.

On the day, the best thing you can do is look up videos on youtube of competitions to gain an understanding of the solving procedure. Also read through the WCA regulations on the WCA website, especially the "Speedsolving" article. On the day we will also do a tutorial for all the new competitors, so pay attention when that happens at the start.

And lastly, don't stress! We aren't big fat meanies (well, most of the time anyway :p ). We try to take care of any new competitors, and you won't be the only one, so don't worry too much.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also have a question about WCA regulations on stickers. How "un-chipped" do they have to be to be allowed for competition

It's pretty much up to the delegate. Better to be safe than sorry and use fairly new ones. The problem is really with stickers that are literally half gone from wear-and-tear, or else ones that have obviously identifiable gaps or tears or whatever. A bit of chipping around the edges of the stickers shouldn't be an issue.

Nick4nick6

WCA
2015GAYE01
Hi Nicholas, I might see you there!

You will automatically get a WCA ID when the competition results are processed. Your ID will be GAYE2015XX, where XX is a number that depends on how many other GAYE2015's there are.

Pre-competition you don't have to do anything. You will receive an e-mail in the coming weeks giving you some more information, so read it carefully and follow any instructions on it.

On the day, the best thing you can do is look up videos on youtube of competitions to gain an understanding of the solving procedure. Also read through the WCA regulations on the WCA website, especially the "Speedsolving" article. On the day we will also do a tutorial for all the new competitors, so pay attention when that happens at the start.

And lastly, don't stress! We aren't big fat meanies (well, most of the time anyway :p ). We try to take care of any new competitors, and you won't be the only one, so don't worry too much.
Thanks, and the reason I signed up is because is a bunch of other friends at my school are going.Some of them went to Sydney Winter 2015 and know about comps.

Tanish

WCA
2015AGAR11
Competition help!

Okay, so I'm gonna go to my first cubing comp in a month. So I just need to ask one thing. What percent of participants get qualified to the 2nd round from combined first, and what percent of participants get qualified to the 3rd or the final round??

youSurname

It all depends on the competition. There is no set percentage. The comps I go to usually have 80 in first round, 30 in second and 8 in last. I suggest going on to the WCA website and looking at past competitions in your area to see how many were in each round.

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The most is 75% of participants per round. But many organizers cut it by halves or more. Sometimes it dpends on how much time is left in the comp. All depends on the comp. you could contact the organizers/delegate and see how many they are wishing to accept.

CubePro

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys!
What does combined first mean in competitions? Me and my friend are organizing a competition(unofficial) and we need to set the cut-off for all the rounds. Also, does the cut-off mean that all people who have a single/average under the cut-off time qualify?
Thanks in advance!

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys!
What does combined first mean in competitions? Me and my friend are organizing a competition(unofficial) and we need to set the cut-off for all the rounds. Also, does the cut-off mean that all people who have a single/average under the cut-off time qualify?
Thanks in advance!

Combined round is one where if a competitor doesn't meet a cutoff within the first two solves (in ao5) or first (mo3) then they cannot finish the average.
Cut offs: soft: if a competitor doesn't meet this time within 2 solves then they cannot continue the average
Hard: if an attempt exceeds this time then it is counted as a dnf

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually a combined round is a bit more complicated than that. In practise it is almost always done the way Jaysammey 777 described. However, refer here for a proper description of a combined round.

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually a combined round is a bit more complicated than that. In practise it is almost always done the way Jaysammey 777 described. However, refer here for a proper description of a combined round.
Interesting! Thanks! I usually always hate the idea anyway. Like why cutoff people? That ruins "fun" IMO. But I understand time contsraints and everything. Also cut offs are confusing(when organizing) caus editing the middle of the comp you get a lot of questions about what they are and (at least for me), I never know. So I've opted to make all cut offs for everything the same in the future(or at least similar) it helps me a lot.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You get the hang of it when you've done it a few times. But yes, if you end up with a competition where half of the people doing 5x5 take 7-10 minutes per solve, it's going to take two hours just to do that one event (this actually happened at the first competition I delegated; biggest mistake I ever made and I never let it happen again). That is a ridiculous waste of time, when you could potentially squeeze three events into two hours. In my opinion, that ruins much more fun (20-30 people standing around for two hours while a few people take 10 minutes for each 5x5 solve is not fun).

kalyk

WCA
2012ANDR06
Hi guys,
I've been cubing during 2012-2013, square-1, 2v2 and 3v3 mainly. Since then, what has changed in the regulations? I'd like to come back to speedsolving! Is it true that stickerless puzzles are now allowed? All stickerless puzzles?
Thanks!

Aaron Lau

Im I allowed to join comps??

So im a Bruneian, Brunei is a small country with little to no cubers here so im wondering if i'm allowed to join comps. Like can I get a wca profile and join comps like a normal person..... and for those of you wandering why I'm asking this it is just because I dont know if Bruneians are allowed to join comps n stuff. So yeah would be much appreciated if someone would reply.
thanks in advanced :)