• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Forum Reorganization - Feedback

WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
We want to get some feedback from the community before going forward with this.

Okay, let's go!

- In the video gallery section, merge the Official Solves with Unofficial Solves forums and then use [Official] and [Unofficial] prefixes. Require a new thread to have one or the other.
Not too fond of this idea, like many others. They're fine as they are. It's not like either board has a lack in activity anyway.
Something that may be worth considering, is letting Unofficial WRs in the main WR/CR/NR board, perhaps? Although there would need to be a distinction between UWRs worthy enough to be in the board, and rubbish ones like "Most 3x3s solved while doing [mundane activity]", to avoid spam. Proboably a bad idea though, see sig.

Remove buy/sell/trade forum - while it is useful, we aren't eBay or Amazon and don't want people being scammed here. We advise people sell elsewhere or at competitions in person.
But I like the b/s/t board! A small number of people getting scammed isn't really a legit reason to remove the board, for the same reason people shouldn't be banned from leaving their house at night because there's a risk they may be mugged. (Hyperbole, but you get my point.) Getting scammed is an unfortunate risk that could occur in ALL parts of the internet where an exchange in money/goods is involved. It's not going to stop the amount of scams happening, it just means it'll happen somewhere else.
And like you said, it is useful. There are some good deals to be found on there, and I like there being an exclusive part of the internet for the trade of second hand speedcubes.

- Merge the Hardware Help/Questions forum into Hardware Discussion forum, and make a sticky for "Basic Hardware Help/Questions Thread".
- Merge General Cubing Help/Questions (it's dead) into Speedcubing Help/Questions.
- Remove the "Constructive Discussions" category, and put everything under the "General Discussions" category. Merge the "General Puzzle Discussion" forum with "Constructive Speedcubing Discussion". Having them separate doesn't make much sense and encourages people to not actively seek constructive discussions. Don't we want all discussions to be constructive?
- Merge Non-Twisty Puzzles & Games into Off-Topic.
I'm okay with these.

- Get rid of the Private Forum.
Sure? Not really my place to say, I can't post there.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm all for the merge of general and constructive forums but I think that the constructive speedcubing section should be renamed to something like method development and move FMC and stuff into puzzle theory cause what they do seems to be more similar.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I miss previously when I typed speedsolving, it redirected me to Home where I could see the threads and all that. Now records, videos and things come up. I would like how it was previously.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
All of the changes mentioned in the first post have been made, aside from:
- Buy/Sell/Trade- decided to hold off on this for now. Please ensure if you use this form to be careful of scams and report them immediately.
- For Hardware Discussion, when you create a thread there is now a thread prefix called [help thread] so you can denote if it is a question or help-related thread. A stickied "based questions" hasn't been created yet, but we will see how it goes.
- Unofficial and Official Video Forums have been merged, and now all new threads require a prefix of either Official or Unofficial.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.

Also note, I'm looking for a couple people interested in helping out with the community to join the team here. If you're interested, please shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
All of the changes mentioned in the first post have been made, aside from:
- Buy/Sell/Trade- decided to hold off on this for now. Please ensure if you use this form to be careful of scams and report them immediately.
- For Hardware Discussion, when you create a thread there is now a thread prefix called [help thread] so you can denote if it is a question or help-related thread. A stickied "based questions" hasn't been created yet, but we will see how it goes.
- Unofficial and Official Video Forums have been merged, and now all new threads require a prefix of either Official or Unofficial.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.

Also note, I'm looking for a couple people interested in helping out with the community to join the team here. If you're interested, please shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Always when I am entering forum, I check https://www.speedsolving.com/old/index.php ("Home") so that I can see all the recent threads. One thing I don't like is that the [Official] is green, and [WR] is just... [WR] (the same goes for CRs and NRs). I think it should be red and bolded so it's eye catching like the [Official] one. It's easy to miss important thread ;)

My proposition is:

[WR]
[CR]
[NR] or [NR]

Last edited:

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Always when I am entering forum, I check https://www.speedsolving.com/old/index.php ("Home") so that I can see all the recent threads. One thing I don't like is that the [Official] is green, and [WR] is just... [WR] (the same goes for CRs and NRs). I think it should be red and bolded so it's eye catching like the [Official] one. It's easy to miss important thread ;)

My proposition is:

[WR]
[CR]
[NR] or [NR]

I added the green to the [Official] tag so it'd be easy to tell the official and unofficial solve threads apart in the Puzzle Solving Videos subforum.

Thanks for your suggestion on the other tags - I've added coloured WR tag and tags for CRs (NAR, SAR, ER, AsR, AfR, OcR). I don't think it's realistic to make them for every NR, though. There's too many of them and it'd be annoying to have to scroll through them when you make an NR thread.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I added the green to the [Official] tag so it'd be easy to tell the official and unofficial solve threads apart in the Puzzle Solving Videos subforum.

Thanks for your suggestion on the other tags - I've added coloured WR tag and tags for CRs (NAR, SAR, ER, AsR, AfR, OcR). I don't think it's realistic to make them for every NR, though. There's too many of them and it'd be annoying to have to scroll through them when you make an NR thread.

Maybe just have every NR the same color?