• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4x4 and 5x5x5 times?

not_kevin

WCA
2008YOUN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I realize that there's probably a thread out there on this exact topic, but I'm too lazy to go find it. :p

If I want to average sub-1:30 on 4x4x4, what should a break-down of my solve look like? I'm not sure how best to phrase that; what I mean is, how long should I take to solve centers, then edges, then the final solve? What about sub-1:15? Sub-minute?

Same questions to the 5x5x5: what should my time look like if I want to average sub-3? Sub-2:30? Sub-2? Thanks in advance!

MistArts

Depends if you are good at 3x3 or look-ahead on edges or fast double slice turn execution on the centers. Split times vary a lot. I average 1:40 with split of 25-35-40. But some people have faster 3x3 than me so it's probably faster than their edges.

Henxu

WCA
2008YEHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well.
I'm averaging about 1:50 because i began to practise 4x4 5 days before.
I have an unofficial average of 17.10 (my PB Av, done today :D)
And I lack on centers, (I think) and in pairing, I pair 2 by 2, but I don't have a good look ahead on 4x4 edges.
I asked Lars yesterday.
He said practise.
And i will say practise too ;)

H

hdskull

Last edited by a moderator:

Crzyazn

I have an absolutely terrible retooled 5x5 and im averaging 3:15ish with it

a solid 3x3 stage is a good contributor to fast times

but the heart of the problem is edge pairing (bigcubes.com method)

BadgerSex

I've seen so many tutorials - especially on youtube - about solving the 4x4 and 5x5. I was trying to get my 5x5 times down my using advanced edge pairing. Unfortunately I found a lot of unhelpful tutorials... Where can I find a good 5x5x5 advanced edge pairing tutorial?

Leviticus

I've seen so many tutorials - especially on youtube - about solving the 4x4 and 5x5. I was trying to get my 5x5 times down my using advanced edge pairing. Unfortunately I found a lot of unhelpful tutorials... Where can I find a good 5x5x5 advanced edge pairing tutorial?

Heres mine:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okxPb8H3kFI . I average about 2 minutes on the 5x5

Statical

YouTube
Visit Channel
i need some help on the 4x4. i use erm bigcubes method and i still do 4x4 in a few minutes. how can i get faster with this method or is there some other advanced methods for 4x4?

H

hdskull

The problem I think is more practice is needed, before you request that others give you "advanced" methods. You can go sub 1:30 on the 4x4 pairing 1 edge at a time, and I don't think that's very advanced.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Heres mine:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okxPb8H3kFI . I average about 2 minutes on the 5x5
And don't forget about this one: Arnaud's 5x5x5 Edge-Pairing method: Examples

Leviticus

And don't forget about this one: Arnaud's 5x5x5 Edge-Pairing method: Examples

Pfft AvG..:rolleyes: Jk, its a great method Arnaud :)