• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Old Home Page?

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So with the new update, I'm finding that I'm really missing the list of recent topics on the old home page. Is there any way we can have that put somewhere? I know I can kind of see this with the "New Posts" link, but I don't like how they remove topics I've already clicked on, which makes this not a real replacement to me.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Hi Kit,
One of the issues with the old homepage is people used it to see the latest posts. The recent threads on the homepage only displayed the 20 latest threads with activity, and many forums were excluded there. As a result, people missed out on lots of topics. However, you can still access the old homepage here:
https://www.speedsolving.com/old/index.php

You can use the Today's post as recommended above here:
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

And this is the link for the What's New:
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&contenttype=vBForum_Post

If the "recent threads" module didn't exist on the old homepage, would the 2 links above be suffice (one is all of today's post, and one is all the unread posts)? I want to create whatever is best for you guys to read the forum, so please give me anymore feedback you have. Thanks.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I realized that it was omitting posts, but I liked that, because it was omitting subforums like Off-Topic that I didn't care too much to see. Thanks for pointing out the old link though, I'll be using that from now on.

The new front page is snazzy though, I love everything about it except that it took away the old list of recent activity.

One thing I think would also be useful in a digest-type of list would be to filter out all kinds of "one-answer" threads. I kind of like the front page to be a news-ish kind of page, so seeing more threads that have a short-term life is more important to me than ones that have a long-term life.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Thanks for the feedback, if you have more, please add it.

Yeah, I realized that it was omitting posts, but I liked that, because it was omitting subforums like Off-Topic that I didn't care too much to see. Thanks for pointing out the old link though, I'll be using that from now on.
What if there were more than 20 active threads since your last visit? Where would you go to find those posts?

One thing I think would also be useful in a digest-type of list would be to filter out all kinds of "one-answer" threads. I kind of like the front page to be a news-ish kind of page, so seeing more threads that have a short-term life is more important to me than ones that have a long-term life.
Like the recent threads module before? If I created a page for just the recent threads module, but made it for all the latest topics (not just 20), would that be useful?