• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

JelloPlayz

I wanna buy a Tanglong, and I was wondering if it needs lubing, and if so which one?
(Lubix, Traxxas, Jig-a-loo, CRC heavy duty, or maru)

TCG

[URGENT] How to lube without cap??

I lost the green dispensing cap on my calvin's lube and I have no way to lube my cube now. Is there any thing i can do or any item to use as a subsitute? The calvin's lube cost me $20 at a local store and no way am. i going to pay $7-$11 for international shipping just for something which costs less than a dollar. Any thoughts?

the same thing happened to me once, there's nothing you can do really.
maybe put a bit of lube on a small plate and use the cap of a pen to apply lube :p

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't lube the core!!! It don't help anything!!!

It does. It makes your cube last longer (lessens friction) and it can help make it more controllable e.g. if it is too fast. Gets rid of the insidious spring noise... but I agree that it does not heavily impact performance. I find it useful anyway for the aforementioned reasons.

Tahrbo

I just bought a set of Moyu washers to put into my Guanlong and I noticed that the washers are rounded and polished on one side and are relatively unfinished on the other.

Just to warn you guys, this is going to be a highly anal-retentive post about how Moyu washer asymmetry may affect the lubrication of a core. You have been warned.

Here are some pics I took:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

One side of the Moyu washer is very smooth and somewhat rounded. It's similar to a donut. The other side is cearly rough and has some of the metal creeping out of the mold that was used to form it.

I'm going to place these washers between the spring and the plastic housing in the center pieces of my Guanlong.

My question is, do you think it's better to put the rough side towards the plastic and the rounded side towards the spring? Or is it better to put the rounded side to the plastic and the rough side to the spring?

As far as I can tell, putting the rough side towards the plastic will make the washer "bite" into the plastic, meaning it is very unlikely that the washer will rotate while it's in there. The only moving surfaces if this happens would be between the end of the spring and the rounded side of the washer.

Putting the rounded side towards the plastic would increase the chances (I don't know by how much) that the washer could rotate in the housing since the rounded side would have less surface area in contact with the plastic. Less surface area along with a smoother surface would increase the likelihood of slippage. So you would have the end of the spring moving against the rough side of the washer, and you would also have a rather small (I presume) chance of the rounded side of the washer moving against the plastic.

Which of these two possibilities do you think is preferable?

While I'm on this subject, the Guanlong already comes with (well it should but we know how Moyu is) 6 washers that are seated between the screw and the spring. How do you think those washers should be oriented?

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:

Aaron Lau

I just bought a set of Moyu washers to put into my Guanlong and I noticed that the washers are rounded and polished on one side and are relatively unfinished on the other.

Just to warn you guys, this is going to be a highly anal-retentive post about how Moyu washer asymmetry may affect the lubrication of a core. You have been warned.

https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5634&stc=1https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5631&stc=1https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5632&stc=1

One side of the Moyu washer is very smooth and somewhat rounded. It's similar to a donut. The other side is cearly rough and has some of the metal creeping out of the mold that was used to form it.

I'm going to place these washers between the spring and the plastic housing in the center pieces of my Guanlong.

My question is, do you think it's better to put the rough side towards the plastic and the rounded side towards the spring? Or is it better to put the rounded side to the plastic and the rough side to the spring?

As far as I can tell, putting the rough side towards the plastic will make the washer "bite" into the plastic, meaning it is very unlikely that the washer will rotate while it's in there. The only moving surfaces if this happens would be between the end of the spring and the rounded side of the washer.

Putting the rounded side towards the plastic would increase the chances (I don't know by how much) that the washer could rotate in the housing since the rounded side would have less surface area in contact with the plastic. Less surface area along with a smoother surface would increase the likelihood of slippage. So you would have the end of the spring moving against the rough side of the washer, and you would also have a rather small (I presume) chance of the rounded side of the washer moving against the plastic.

While I'm on this subject, the Guanlong already comes with (well it should but we know how Moyu is) 6 washers that are seated between the screw and the spring. How do you think those washers should be oriented?

its normal for them to be like that which way to put them? Idk. Some people put it one way, some put it the other.

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
Ok so uh, I'm wondering with what Gans 3x3s are so nicely lubed with out of the box....Like what kind of lube is it they put on them? because maru lube doesn't give it the same nice feel :( PLEASE HELP ME

Gans has its own special lube. Luckily for you, speedcube.com.au sells bottles of them I think.

willtri4

WCA
2015BELO03
YouTube
Visit Channel

I always do rough to spring, round to plastic. No idea if it's better though.

Randomize

My lube just arrived (Traxxas 50k, and Maru Lube) and I don't know a lick about how to lube a cube. Do I need to do a few solves on a brand new cube before I lube it? Do I need to wash the cube before lubing? How much should I put?

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04
My lube just arrived (Traxxas 50k, and Maru Lube) and I don't know a lick about how to lube a cube. Do I need to do a few solves on a brand new cube before I lube it? Do I need to wash the cube before lubing? How much should I put?

Breaking in the puzzle before lubing is usually recommended with at least 100 solves before lubing.

I personally like to wash off any dust off the pieces before lubing my puzzles. If there is just a little bit of dust putting the pieces in warm water for a few minutes will remove the dust. If the cube is very dirty, then sometimes using an old toothbrush to scrub the dirt and grim off whilst in warm water.

The amount of lube and type you use is dependent on the desired feel. If you are going for a really fast cube the maru lube or a really small amount of 50k on the pieces.
If you want the cube slower/gummier, putting more 50k on the pieces is what to do.

Randomize

Breaking in the puzzle before lubing is usually recommended with at least 100 solves before lubing.

Ooh, that's a lot of solving. Hahaha
Thanks for the info! :D

Does lubing the core do anything? I lubed the core of my Meiying with the Traxxas but it didn't feel like anything changed.

The Maru was... Wow! It made my Meiying feel smooth and silky. I've read that it dries up quickly though, how long does it usually last? How long do other lubes last?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel

I personally like to wash off any dust off the pieces before lubing my puzzles. If there is just a little bit of dust putting the pieces in warm water for a few minutes will remove the dust. If the cube is very dirty, then sometimes using an old toothbrush to scrub the dirt and grim off whilst in warm water.

The amount of lube and type you use is dependent on the desired feel. If you are going for a really fast cube the maru lube or a really small amount of 50k on the pieces.
If you want the cube slower/gummier, putting more 50k on the pieces is what to do.

If you want your cube fast and only have 50K then put very, very little as it is quite thick. If you happen to have a lighter lube like 30K or lubicle speedy, cubicle weight 3 or less then you are more likely to end up with a fast cube. And when we say very little is... very little. Or else you'll end up having to remove part of it. I made that mistake with a Mini Weilong and it is still horribly sticky after cleaning out most of the lube.