• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The "Funny Moments at Competitions" Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 19792
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19792

Use this thread to discuss funny moments at a competition. Or any weird moments. I don't know, just say something that made the competition a bit more memorable.

A moment that I remember is that at Austin Cubing Limits, the scrambling table collapsed in the middle of 3x3 Round 2.

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
At Cuthberts 2015 in the pyraminx final, we were given the scrambles from the first round so I did the same solutions for the first couple and I was surprised at how similar they were. Then someone worked out that we were using the wrong scrambles :p

D

Deleted member 19792

At Texas 2 Day Showdown, there was a big storm coming in (during the major storms in Texas)

Now normally when this happen, your phone would go off with a blaring and horrible alarm. Now imagine it starting at one end of the room, and coming over to the other side of the room.

The result was hilarious.

lejitcuber

WCA
2014JAYE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In clock final in ABHC on the first solve, Dan got Nr I failed and Fabio got a normal scramble whereas I gota scramble with loads of blocks. They were hand scrambled...

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On my first and only competition they forgot to scramble my Pyraminx, I was totally confused when I received the solved puzzle. ._.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19792

At TreeTown 2013 I was practicing at a judging table, and when a competitor finished his solve and signed the scorecard, I ended up putting my cube in the box instead of his.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
The "Funny Moments at Competitions" Thread

Thom Barlow wearing a wolf onesie on day 2 of UK Champs 2014, then unexpectedly winning 3x3.

Noah hunting for a popped edge at, I wana say, Cambridge 2013 during 3BLD.
He never did find it but he was so close.

Daniel Sheppard going all out for 4BLD WR and forgetting to memo corners in Guildford. Maybe 2012?

Last edited:

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh boy, I've got a lot of these. I'll edit this post if I come up with more.

Peach State 2015: Someone made Kit announce over the mic that they lost a cube with "a really bright orange side".

At dinner afterwards, Chris Krueger misheard "tight cube" as "Type Q".

Indiana 2015: It doesn't quite count as during the competition, but the 8 hour car ride becoming a 10 hour car ride due to a dump truck overturning on the highway was quite the experience.

US Nationals 2015: Not really funny, but I got REALLY angry when I couldn't write down my 32 move solution to the second FMC in time. Anyone who was at that table with me can verify.

Atlanta Open 2015: Someone had Chris Olson sign his cube, then came back less than five minutes later to get it signed again because the signature wore off.

Someone lost a "black Moyu HuaLong, stock stickers, no logo". AKA the most generic cube in the universe.

Music City 2015: My name was consistently pronounced as "rah-MOHND".

Athens Fall 2015: Someone messed with my skewb while it was waiting to be scrambled, so the scramblers thought it was scrambled and I got a 2 move skewb scramble. I did it just for fun (the time was 1.01) but obviously I got a resolve.

David Ludwig solved a 2x2, dropped it and stopped the timer, and the cube perfectly balanced on one edge at a 45 degree angle with the table.

FMC USA 2015: I was late, had to run to the venue after running a 10 mile race that morning, couldn't find an unlocked door, and had to force my way through an automatic door to get in.

Last edited:

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
Peach State 2015: I could solve a bunch of the events, but didn't compete in them because I didn't re-register in time. I also attended Day 2 despite the fact that I was competing that day.
US Nationals 2015: "Losing" my camera 3 times, Kit lending me his Dayan Mega because one of my Mega's stickers fell off while being carried to my station, me having to borrow someone's Clock because mine was comp legal (and then getting a DNF average), making cutoff in OH because of a PB single.
Atlanta Open 2015: Not really funny, but my brand new YuSu that I got at the comp had an explosion. Also, b0ssguy23 and I did some gigantic team factory solves. AND I had to keep going up and checking what heat/event they were on because the comp was so loud.
Music City 2015: Evan telling me that my 6x6 stickers sucked and weren't comp legal (I borrowed an unknown person's 6x6 lol), and then I missed cutoff by 1.14 seconds. And the coining of my nickname: +2perman.
nuff said

D

Deleted member 19792

Houston 2014 - Chris twists corners

Watching a fight nearly happen between two competitors at USNATS 2014

Amress

WCA
2013RAVI06
this one runner pronounced my last name, which is "Ravindra," as "river drama"

he mispronounced my first name too, so I had no idea he was trying to call me up

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
On my first and only competition they forgot to scramble my Pyraminx, I was totally confused when I received the solved puzzle. ._.
Yeah I had that at Cuthberts towards the end of second round when I was on track for PB average and getting nervous. Took a deep breath, said I'm ready, judge lifts the cover, and there's my cube solved on the table. Made me laugh out loud and relax a bit, so was a good thing I reckon!

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Before Lawrence Spring 2015, I had been talking to a few other people that live near here. I hadn't been able to get to any of the meet ups they had prior to the comp, and we failed to say what we would be wearing or something of the sort, so I had no idea what they looked like, other than the fact that one of them was "Really tall... like 6 feet tall" So I saw someone that was really tall, went up to them, and asked them if they were who I thought they were. Luckily, he was.