• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is the YouTube cubing scene dying?

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
CrazyBadCuber has pretty much stopped. Same with Paradox and JRCuber and Convinsa are also slowing down if not stopped. I guess it is slightly harder to find unboxings, but just maybe because there are so many new cubes coming out that they can't get all of them

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's new? Channels come and go all the time. It takes a lot of effort to make frequent youtube videos, and when the real world sets in you pretty much have to stop. Anyway, unboxing videos are retarded, so you aren't missing out on anything worthwhile.

WCA
2015NADA01
Not really, yeah, a lot of big YouCubers we know and love are stopping/uploading less, but a bunch of new ones are getting popular(DGCubes, Cubey Time, TPC eccetera)!

Sent from my Z00D using Tapatalk

Phaint

Millions of YouTube viewers would disagree with this statement. What you actually mean is that you don't like them.

Just because millions of people do something does not validate it as a worthwhile waste of time. Lots of people do drugs but it is still considered dumb by most people. I think what Dene was getting at was that watching someone open a box and give first impressions is in essence kind of silly. Reviews of products are generally more helpful. A cube out of the box does not represent how it performs once properly set up and is of little help to people who actually tension and lube their cubes.

Then again I could be reading into it a little deep. I also find the idea of un-boxings rather silly.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just because millions of people do something does not validate it as a worthwhile waste of time. Lots of people do drugs but it is still considered dumb by most people. I think what Dene was getting at was that watching someone open a box and give first impressions is in essence kind of silly. Reviews of products are generally more helpful. A cube out of the box does not represent how it performs once properly set up and is of little help to people who actually tension and lube their cubes.

Then again I could be reading into it a little deep. I also find the idea of un-boxings rather silly.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Millions of people also find speedcubing silly. The idea of sitting in a room with a 1980s toy and trying to solve as fast as possible just strikes them as dumb.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Ya tnx you saved me a hassle. People are stupid and do stupid things. It doesn't mean those things are no longer stupid. Unboxing videos can't provide any real substance, and can only provide entertainment value if the person doing it is entertaining in and of themselves.

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know that people these days try to do a lot of editing in their videos, and so videos take more time to make. Back a few years ago many people used Raw video or minor editing for their videos. I Use minor editing for my videos and just enhancing for my solves so I could easily upload something everyday, but that never happens cause I'm lazy.

uyneb2000

WCA
2011YUBE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I see a lot of new channels run by <13 year old kids that are trash. They either fake their solves completely or have the worst quality. I feel like new channels are basically just seeking for attention rather than trying to put in legitimate work and effort to make a quality channel.

Meanwhile, I'm not trying whatsoever.

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
I see a lot of new channels run by <13 year old kids that are trash. They either fake their solves completely or have the worst quality. I feel like new channels are basically just seeking for attention rather than trying to put in legitimate work and effort to make a quality channel.

This is, unfortunately, quite true.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Sounds to me like nothing has changed in 8 years.

Phaint

Meanwhile, I'm not trying whatsoever.

Sounds like the bar for entry is fairly low.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I agree with this thread that after the year 2015 , the cubing scene online has reduced.
Nowadays, there are lot of new cubers who do not have advanced knowledge , and just focus on competing yo.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not really, yeah, a lot of big YouCubers we know and love are stopping/uploading less, but a bunch of new ones are getting popular(DGCubes, Cubey Time, TPC eccetera)!

Sent from my Z00D using Tapatalk
Speaking of, Cubeorithms recently hit 100K subs.
Only him, RedKB , TheMaoiSha (Sp)*, Cuby (Sp)*, CrazyBadCuber, MeMyselfAndPi, Feliks Zemdegs, Tony Fisher, OskarPuzzle, TheSergsB, JRCuber, Z3Cubing, Rubik's, Dan Brown, and Rob's World hold that title.
(That list was longer that I thought)

*Sp just means they speak Spanish