• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Toronto Open, Fall 2015 - Biggest 1-day WCA competition!

ZZTrooper

WCA
2015HOKE01
This is gonna be my first comp. I'm kinda slow at everything. How does it feel when you go to a competition and don't do good? Is it normal to be slower in competition? I need to mentally prepare myself :)

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is gonna be my first comp. I'm kinda slow at everything. How does it feel when you go to a competition and don't do good? Is it normal to be slower in competition? I need to mentally prepare myself :)

It feels terrible to do badly in comps

yes, most people do badly at their first comp

to mentally prepare yourself: dont care. the more you care, the more you get nervous. thats why 'quitting' works.

claudeccantin

WCA
2012CANT01

Do not expect anything at your first competition. Take it all in. Try to enjoy yourself (even if, when you actually compete, you will hear every little noise around you, and feel like a thousand eyes watching your every moves. Try to keep in mind this is not reality -- in fact, other people are encouraging you).

Think of it this way: most people cannot solve the cube, let alone do it quickly in front of a few hundred speed cubers! ALL competitors should be proud of themselves.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

My advice is, when you get nervous (which probably happen) breath deeply and stay loose. Shake it out and pretend like you don't care.

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04
I forgot my 42 mm mini 3x3 at the comp. I am not sure about the brand(as I had just traded for it), but it was stickerless, and had a very unusual logo on the white side. If anyone knows anything please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
canadiancubing's organization is on point. I wasnt there (wish I was!) but being able to pull off a 1-day comp with that many people is insane (smart move only having 6 events).

From what I heard, the execution of the competition was a joint effort of both Dave Campbell and James Hildreth. They each ran a separate room in the YMCA with their own equipment, as no room in that building could host that many competitors. That gave them 20+ stations, which is more than enough to serve 250 people for the day.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
From what I heard, the execution of the competition was a joint effort of both Dave Campbell and James Hildreth. They each ran a separate room in the YMCA with their own equipment, as no room in that building could host that many competitors. That gave them 20+ stations, which is more than enough to serve 250 people for the day.

Awesome!