• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Would anyone purchase from a new Aussie cube store? - advise and cubes

Would you buy from a new Aussie online cube store?

• Total voters

Scruncher38

Hey guys, I am thinking of creating an Aussie cube store and was wondering if anyone with experience could give me some points on starting up an online business. I was also wondering what sort of cubes are on demand as I am talking to a wholesaler at this point in time. Feel free to leave any advise for me below, here is a list of products that I hope to stock - tell me what to add.

Dayan 50mm 2x2
Moyu lingpo 2x2
Cyclone boys 2x2
Dayan Zhanchi 3x3
Moyu Along v2 3x3
Cyclone boys 3x3
YJ Guanlong 3x3
Fangshi Guanying 3x3
Shengshou aurora 3x3
Shengshou 4x4
YJ yusu 4x4
Cyclone boys 4x4
Shengshou 5x5
Shengshou pyramix
Moyu pyramix

Thanks, please leave a response :)

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Due to the already established and well known Australian stores, you'd probably need to buy a LOT ($10k+) in order to be able to just match their prices. People would have no reason to buy from you unless you had something the other stores don't, ie: rare puzzles (except since this is Australia, rare puzzles wouldn't sell in a high enough quantity to quantify buying), or considerably lower prices. Really, I don't see space for another successful Australian cube store. I would highly recommend against it.

Also since you voted yes to your own survey, I'm guessing you're probably not old enough to afford a $10k investment in a business that'll take a lot of time to simply break even.

If I'm honest, speedcube.com.au was recently set up and there is nothing wrong with that. Personally, I think most people are set in their ways buying from the cubicle.us and one more cube store with nothing to set itself apart won't change their opinion.

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
Maybe. It depends on the prices and shipping. Also what products you have. If you sold stickers and accessories (stackmat mats, cube boxes, stickers not in sets) which speedcube.com currently doesn't sell, then maybe i would buy. I find I buy from thecubicle.us for stckers and accessories despite being in Australia. If I buy cubes, I would go to cubezz.com because it's cheap. Yes, the shipping is slow, but I don't earn much so I need to save money.

I would only buy cubes from a new store if it was really cheap. But out of those cubes, I already have 2-4 and pyra, and I don't want 5x5s so my answer is no.

Last edited:

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
You could make a store like cubesmith with really custom stickers

Good point, I do need some new stickers, cubicle.us is a far way away, and speed cube.com doesn't really have much flexibility

Cubesmith type site would be a lot easier to manage too