• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Proposal] Rename the Ortega 2x2 Method to Varasano

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I assure you the method is very similar (ie: almost, if not, identical) when looking at it from a pure 2x2 perspective. While cuberBruce did already agree with this - I have personally seen Varasano's solution, and he uses the same algs we still use to this day to orient and permute his corners. To be completely fair/honest, though, he doesn't know some of the same insertion tricks that more experienced 2x2'ers know (though I think this is the puzzle's fault, as it's harder to see on a 3x3 than 2x2 - and insertions aren't the heart of the method anyway).

We were blown away when Jeff showed us his method. We told him this method already exists and he goes "I know, I published it in 1981" - hence, what sparked this whole "Which came first?" post/video/etc.

I think this would've been the better story to tell - just focus on Varasano and what's actually known. And maybe ask Josef more directly, i.e., whether Ortega possibly made up his corner method in 1981 because we want to know whether Varasano did it first. Or even better, ask Ortega himself. I did point out that he just recently used that Amazon account so he might be reachable through that.

As for the history of how it became a 2x2 method, I did some digging into the old yahoo group. Earliest relevant posts I found:

June 24, 2004: Josef points out his Ortega page after Brent asked about a 2x2 orient+permute method. Apparently Brent had seen one before, but that might as well have been Guimond.

January 18, 2005: After getting the first 2x2 sub6 average (of 12), Katsu says he used Ortega (Why I think it was avg-of-12: That record was 6.15 just a few days earlier and 5.79 just a little later, both by Katsu). Katsu's 2x2x2 page also still exists.

Edit: Nice, you can still get Katsu's 5.79 average video from his videos page and someone also posted it on youtube. That, kids, is how the world's best 2x2 solving looked like 10.6 years ago.

Last edited:

mDiPalma

double post 4 bump:

i have a compromise:

ORient a face
Top Ensuing (or Equally)
Go Adjust

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I personally will say the Varasano-Ortega method, or VO. Both Varasano and Ortega contributed toward the creation and popularization of the side, OLL, PBL method.