• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How do optimal solvers and random state scramblers work?

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Technically we do, though Google call it ‘trespassing’. :p

From what Tom Rokicki has estimated, Google could maybe solve a single 4x4x4 optimally, but not *much* more.

We live in a time with very powerful computers. The problem here is that the problem fundamentally gets very difficult very quickly for larger cubes (as far as we know). We're never going to be able to solve a 100x100x100 using the current approach. It doesn't have to do with our computers; it's purely a matter of the math.

However, it *would* be cool if we lived in a time/universe where we found a way to completely shortcut the search using clever math.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I want to see the code for a random-state scrambler in JavaScript so that I can understand better. What I can understand is it's generating a state, applying some rules to make it solvable, making it solvable in <R2,L2,F2,B2,U,D>, then solving it from there, and then inverting the scramble. I want to see code for it to know how it is applied.

http://www.qqtimer.net/scramble_333_edit.js
Good luck...

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
From what Tom Rokicki has estimated, Google could maybe solve a single 4x4x4 optimally, but not *much* more.

We live in a time with very powerful computers. The problem here is that the problem fundamentally gets very difficult very quickly for larger cubes (as far as we know). We're never going to be able to solve a 100x100x100 using the current approach. It doesn't have to do with our computers; it's purely a matter of the math.

However, it *would* be cool if we lived in a time/universe where we found a way to completely shortcut the search using clever math.

The diameter of the nxnxn cube has the order of n^2 / log(n), so that's how fast God's number is increasing with bigger cubes.