• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

U2 vs U2'

turtwig

When I'm doing 2-gen algs (R U), namely the Sune and Antisune, I always found that U2' is easier and faster to perform than U2. Similarly, I find U' faster than U. During U2' and U', I using my left hand performs it, so I can do it without pausing, but when I do U and U2, my right hand does it, so there's a tiny pause. For this reason, my Antisune is faster than my Sune. I find this is more pronounced is OH.

Does anyone else find that U' is faster than U is 2-gen algs? Or is it just me? Or is there a faster way of performing U and U2? Thanks.

Last edited:

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
For Sune and Antisune, I use U2' and U2 respectively. Otherwise, there isn't much difference for me. It is pretty subjective, and depends a lot on the alg.

xchippy

U2' is way easier because I can't double click very well with my right hand. I only use U2 in h perm and z perm because I can't do m2s with my right hand.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
I usually do U2', and I think I'm in the minority in doing so. I'm surprised most of the people in this thread also use their left hand for 180 degree U moves, and I think if the whole forum was polled, clockwise U2 would be the majority. There may be benefits to it; your left hand is doing something instead of your right hand, which is good since most algs are R heavy and most fancy F move fingertricks are done righthanded. It makes the right hand less overworked and the left hand less passive.

EDIT: there are plenty of exceptions, most notably my <M,U> EPLLs. I do M moves left handed, so every U move is done right handed.

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
i learned doing U2' doubleflick with my left hand when i was cubing for about 2 years. do for me it's kinda reverse; every time i doit with left, i lose stability, have weird pauses, not as good combos and it's just overall really hard to force myself to use the U2'.

I see why it's ideally better to be able to perform U2' though.