• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hi guys!

Marginalized

WCA
2008PLUM01
I am picking up cubing again after a 7 year hiatus. Before I stopped, I have learned all OLLs and PLLs and my average was about 18 I think. Currently, my average is around 21 and am slowly getting back my old average.

Here in the Philippines, cubing stuff are hard to come by. Though, online buying is easier than it was 7 years ago, the Philippines still puts a lot of taxes on stuff you buy online. Due to this, online buying for me is a big no-no. Add that to the fact that local cube stores sell cubes at twice to thrice their online price. For example, the YJ guanlong (which can be bought for around 2 dollars) is sold here for 5 dollars. So, what I want to do now is try to get a sub-10 average using as little money as possible.

Using as little money as possible means that I won't be buying expensive speed cubes, lube or a stack mat timer (which is honestly expensive for me - even the QJ one). My goal is to show that even if you are economically marginalized (a euphemism), you can still achieve good times.

Right now, I have a YJ guanlong which I bought online (the tax for this was worth more than the cube @_@) for my main. For lube, I bought Vitess Hair Cuticle (which is around 2 dollars) and have confirmed that it is somewhat effective in lubing because it contains silicone and doesn't damage the plastic. I also bought a medical syringe for $0.25 locally and am using that to apply lube.

Soon, I will be making a diy stackmat timer that will connect to a computer timer (like prismapuzzletimer). For that project, I will be using arcade push buttons (that I bought locally for $0.50 each). Ill solder those to a generic game controller and will plug it into the computer via USB.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope I can be a valuable addition to this community!

TLDR; I want to show people that you can become a fast speed cuber in less than 10 dollars and a lot of hard work.

Ronaldo CR

You are right. i myself dont even have a guanlong and i use the local one which i bought from a store for 50 rupees which will be less than 1 dollar. It has no brand name its just a magic cube and i have recently got a 20 second solve.