• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Mat requirements for competition?

dboeren

I understand that a SpeedStacks brand timer is required to compete. No problem there.

I'm less clear on the mat requirement. The WCA rules say:

7f2) The timer must be attached to the mat and placed on the surface, with the timer on the side of the mat nearest to the competitor.

It does not say whether you have to use the SpeedStacks brand mat, nor what "attached" means.

Actually, other than the mention of attaching, it's doesn't really state straight out that a mat is required. It just says that the timer itself is required:
8a7) Use the authentic Speed Stacks Stackmat timer (Generation 2 or Pro) for time measurement.

I can see that the SpeedStacks mat has some little button things on it which presumably are used to attach it to the timer. However, on vendor pages like the cubicle they also sell mats that are just regular neoprene mats without any attachment points. This includes one with a WCA 2014 US Nationals logo (http://thecubicle.us/nationals-2014-cube-p-3367.html), which one would assume should be WCA legal.

So in plain English, do I have to use a mat? And if so, can I just use a reasonable sized neoprene mat instead of the SpeedStacks brand mat?

Thanks!

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is made very clear by the definitions in 7f. Stackmat is defined to be the timer and mat, not just the timer.

7f1a) Stackmat: The Speed Stacks Stackmat timer and a full-size compatible mat.
7f1b) Mat: The mat of the Stackmat.

Thus, by 7f2, a full sized, attachable mat is required. The only situation where a mat like the one you linked can be used is with holes and a gen2 timer.

dboeren

OK, thanks.

I had been hoping this was one of those things that's not actually enforced since I couldn't see how there was any advantage to using a different mat (and saving $13) but it's not worth taking a risk.

dboeren

Thanks so much for pointing that out. I had though that you had to provide your own.

$45 for a timer & mat plus $25 entry fee was going to be $70 to compete which was looking sort of stiff since I'm a noob and just going for fun. But if they have the gear already there it becomes much more affordable.

hcfong

WCA
2011FONG02
Of course you don't have to provide your own timer. In fact, rather not. If everybody uses their own timers for official solves, what guarantee is there that all those timers are uniform and not tampered with. I'm not an expert on this, but I assume that it's possible to manipulate the timer in such a way that it runs slightly slower. Or maybe not. anyway, don't worry about providing your own timer, even though it's always good to bring one along for practice.

dboeren

I had thought that the reason for using the SpeedStacks timers was that they are harder to tamper with than a software timer, but having them controlled by the organizer makes sense for added security. Mostly I'm just glad that the cost to enter is much lower than I thought.

For practice or at home, I'm currently using Zxytimer for iOS.

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had thought that the reason for using the SpeedStacks timers was that they are harder to tamper with than a software timer, but having them controlled by the organizer makes sense for added security. Mostly I'm just glad that the cost to enter is much lower than I thought.

For practice or at home, I'm currently using Zxytimer for iOS.

You posed a good question. Always better to ask. Bring yourself, your cubes and enthusiasm mate :)

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
This is made very clear by the definitions in 7f. Stackmat is defined to be the timer and mat, not just the timer.

7f1a) Stackmat: The Speed Stacks Stackmat timer and a full-size compatible mat.
7f1b) Mat: The mat of the Stackmat.

Thus, by 7f2, a full sized, attachable mat is required. The only situation where a mat like the one you linked can be used is with holes and a gen2 timer.

So does this mean it has to be a Stackmat brand mat? What if you made a custom playmat with the plastic knobs to attach the timers? What size defines "full-size"?

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
So does this mean it has to be a Stackmat brand mat? What if you made a custom playmat with the plastic knobs to attach the timers? What size defines "full-size"?

Can I get a ruling on this? What dimensions defines a "full size" mat and is a custom mat competition legal provided it has the knobs to attach the timer?

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your questions have already been answered in this thread, and can be answered by looking at the regulations. There aren't any hidden rules; everything is out in the open for you to look up yourself.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
Your questions have already been answered in this thread, and can be answered by looking at the regulations. There aren't any hidden rules; everything is out in the open for you to look up yourself.

I have reviewed this thread and parsed the regulations repeatedly. Kit replied in the beginning that the Nationals mat linked would be legal if it had holes and someone was using a Gen2 timer. From that I can only assume that using a custom playmat with knobs to hold a Gen3 would also be legal provided that it is "full size". Since the nationals mat is 10" x 15" I'm assuming that anything bigger would also be legal.

Forgive me if I would like a little some confirmation from some delegates if my assumptions are correct. I prefer not to be working from assumptions when deciding if I want to invest the money to have a bunch of these made.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well you managed to answer your own questions, so perhaps you should have more confidence in your ability to works things out.