• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I get logged out all the time

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Every few minutes the forum logs me out and I have to log in again and sometimes get "no permission" error messages when trying to post something. It's a major pain.

I don't know when this started, it has consistently been this way the past few days. It might've started earlier, though, don't remember whether it was ok for the first few days after my return from the US last Monday. Also, I'm usually not online with the computer I'm using right now.

I use Windows XP and Opera 9.25.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cookies are on, I use the "remember me" option when logging in, and I don't have the problem at other forums/sites (using the same computer and browser). But yeah, next time I get logged out I'll check whether the cookie is still there.

ARGH. Trying to post this message I already got another "no permission" error. So I let the browser show me the cookie, logged in, looked at the new cookie, and compared them. They contain the same keys and also the same values except the "bbsessionhash" has changed (not surprisingly).

cuBerBruce

WCA
2006NORS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This forum has always had a very annoyingly short login period, to my knowledge. For security, I've never checked the Remember Me? button, but somehow it seems to have started remembering me anyway. There is now two places on the main page for logging in, and one of them has the Remember Me? button checked by default, so I'm guessing I logged in from that place without realizing the Remember Me? button was checked.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I didn't have the problem before my US Open trip. Same browser, though different computer. As mentioned above, it might've worked fine on this computer as well for the few days after I returned from the US.

I installed a network analyzer and it showed me that my browser does send the cookie but the forum ignores it (shows me the page as if I'm not logged in and sends a minimum initialization cookie to me without login data).

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Close all your browsers, clear cookies, and then try logging in again.

Are you logging in from the homepage or the /forum?

Tim, and cyberBruce: How often do you clear cookies? When was the last time?

ConnorCuber

WCA
2008GRIE01
Hm, I know that I have only been here about a week but, I have no problems with this, I always login at the homepage and always check remember me. No problems, but maybe if what pkj says doesn't work, try a different browser. (FYI I am using Internet Explorer)

cuBerBruce

WCA
2006NORS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Close all your browsers, clear cookies, and then try logging in again.

Are you logging in from the homepage or the /forum?

Tim, and cyberBruce: How often do you clear cookies? When was the last time?

I generally have not been clearing cookies at all. I may have been logging in from either the main page or the /forum, or sometimes when I'm explicitly prompted to log in.

To be clear, after I recently inadvertantly logged in with the Remember Me? button checked (presumably), it's seems like I'm permanently logged in, and don't have to enter my password any more and don't seem to experience timeouts any more. It's when I explicitly logged in each time, that I seemed to get logged out after a few short minutes. Is there a cookie that controls the length of a session for someone who doesn't check Remember Me??

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
What browser are you using?

If you experience the problem again, close all your browsers, clear cookies, then login again. If that isn't solving the problem, let me know. It may be a cookie issue with the server. As far as inadvertently clicking 'Remember Me?', depending on which menu you login to and whether it the 'Remember Me?' is checked or not will determine whether to remember your login. For example, if you login to the upper right menu and uncheck 'Remember Me?' on that menu, it won't remember you, regardless of what the other menu shows.