• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Shadowslice e: hello world! :-)

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I might not be the newest member here but I thought I may as well take the time to properly introduce myself to the wider community :)

I am a British cuber that is based in Hampshire and I really enjoy coming up with new/altered methods for various puzzles such as my version of columns first or Meyer (you can see the details of these methods in the constructive cubing discussion thread. I also sort of invented roux while trying to improve on petrus). This is probably why most of my cubing friends consider me something of a loose cannon or renegade.

My primary method is Roux for which my PB is 14.6 although my average is closer to 28/29. Due to this I enjoy claiming that I hold the UWR for greatest deviation. (hence my signature). In other methods, I have done 32.74 with a 4look lastlayer CFOP (essentially beginners+F2L), 25.7 with my columns first variation and 37.98 with heise.

I have taught myself a variety of other methods for 3x3x3 as well such as heise, basic ZZ, ZZ Roux, pcms, my columns first, petrus, tripod and basic CFOP (it have F2L but not the full OLL or PLL). I guess you could say that I'm one of those people who, when they are interested in something, they want to know everything.

I don't particularly enjoy learning algs if im honest (which is one reason i love heise and roux) but i do hope to learn full CMLL over the summer.

Other than 3x3x3, i learned how to solve square one (my pb is around 25 although i have not practised it for a while) and worked out have to solve the big cubes (if you'll excuse the parity algs). Regarding the big cubes, i would like to see a good method created for roux users on big cubes. You can see my attempt at creating a method for it on the new method/concept/substep thread although i later found it was very similar too the Meyer method (hence the name that a fellow cuber gave it- shadowslice-Meyer- one of the most badass sounding method names in my opinion :)). In addition, i also intuitively worked out megaminx and most of pyraminx as well as 2x2x2 (but who doesn't really do that?)

I have not yet done a competition althogh I am looking to participate in one during the summer.

One more interesting cube fact about me is that I originally learned to solve a mirror block rather than a normal cube. Also, shoutout to Dan Cochrane and berd for getting me into cubinv

Outside of cubing, I am more or less your typical Asian (I am half Asian on my mother's side)- I am fairly good at all the academic subjects like maths and physics and often teach myself bits that aren't usually covered by courses for fun, so yes, I guess I am a bit of a nerd.

In terms of sport I enjoy many sports especially badminton and table tennis. However, the sport that I have chosen to do competitively is swimming and i am hoping to reach national level this year having been to regionals and making the finals quite a few times before. This swimming has enabled me to develop the ability to hold my breath for a fairly long time so one of my ambitions is to try to at least equal the record for most cubes solved underwater in one breath.

I look forward to being on the site for the foreseeable future and will hopefully be able to keep dropping my times :)

Last edited:

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01
Stadler is very rouxish. There's a Manchester comp coming up, but it's fully booked. The UKCA website has all the information about British comps.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Stadler
I think it's been suggested that CMLL could be better left until later in the solve though - I'd leave it until after edge pairing, since you can then do parity before CMLL, so you have better parity algs.

thanks :). It looks a lot like an algorithm based version of reduction which I don't see very often. I would probably have tried to make something similar but I don't think I will now as it's already been done and, as I said before, I don't enjoy learning algs...
Yay! Hampshire!

Yay! :)

For big cube roux users, can't you just use yau and attach the 2 missing corners whenever it's convenient, thus giving you a first block skip?

Last edited:
Do you mean solve FB instead of three cross pieces? This method is called Meyer (it was briefly mentioned a couple of times in the OP) and was actually invented before Yau.

I mean solve the 3 cross edges as in normal yau and the attach the 2 missing corners after this, but before the 3x3 stage.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I mean solve the 3 cross edges as in normal yau and the attach the 2 missing corners after this, but before the 3x3 stage.

Well, that's still basically Meyer although i sort of built the same idea from Yau as well but with slightly altered variants.
Links here: https://www.speedsolving.com/forum...4x4-Reduction-Sub-Method.htm The Meyer thread
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/....htm My original proposal (Shadowslice-Meyer)
https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Meyer_method.htm Meyer page (wiki)