• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA Competitor Tutorial

Rubiks560

Nub
WCA
2009OLSO01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Do you know people who have never been to a competition and are too lazy to read the regs?
Well now we have a video for that!

Very fun video to produce. Hope you guys enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

cashis

Cool, ive read the regs like 11 times, but ill watch this anyway before my first comp

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19792

Still wish that there was a comp near me...... The closest one is over 5 hours away... :(

There might be a competition close to you in the future, just wait! Also, I am holding one in November in San Marcos, TX in November :)

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are a few things I saw wrong with this video (there may be more):

1:40: The Regulations state that the judge asks, "READY?".

2:23: The attempt is finished after the judge and competitor acknowledge the correctness of the recorded attempt, not when the timer is stopped.

4:18: M, E, and S moves are not described in the current WCA Regulations (more specifically, Article 12).

Additionally, it may have been nice to include that the timer must be started before the 15-second mark in order to avoid over-inspection penalty. Also, perhaps including something regarding A6e (touching the puzzle after stopping the timer, before judge inspects) would have been nice.

Rubiks560

Nub
WCA
2009OLSO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are a few things I saw wrong with this video (there may be more):

1:40: The Regulations state that the judge asks, "READY?".

2:23: The attempt is finished after the judge and competitor acknowledge the correctness of the recorded attempt, not when the timer is stopped.

4:18: M, E, and S moves are not described in the current WCA Regulations (more specifically, Article 12).

Additionally, it may have been nice to include that the timer must be started before the 15-second mark in order to avoid over-inspection penalty. Also, perhaps including something regarding A6e (touching the puzzle after stopping the timer, before judge inspects) would have been nice.

Yeah, these were all pointed out after the video went live...delegates had the chance to make corrections and they decided to say all of this after it went live.

Edit: another thing to keep in mind is this isn't supposed to be the entire regs. Just a short concise video on the absolute bare basics of competing. So some things will just be left to read. I'm sure at some point we'll shoot a v2 with a more precise script.

Last edited:

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Edit: another thing to keep in mind is this isn't supposed to be the entire regs. Just a short concise video on the absolute bare basics of competing. So some things will just be left to read. I'm sure at some point we'll shoot a v2 with a more precise script.

Really looking forward to it!
I've been wanting to make a video like this for quite some time, but haven't had the time nor the resources to make it happen. There has been a real need for videos like this, so vgj!