• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Yau5 Discussion

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Method outline:
1. First two centres
2. Partial cross and last cross edge
3. Last 4 centres
4. Second 4 edges
5. Two F2L pairs
6. Last 4 edges
7. 3x3x3

Alternatives:
For steps 2 and 3, you can solve the last cross edge after the last 4 centres instead but I don't do this in the video. It's just a personal preference really. Also you can ignore step 5 sometimes. In my opinion, sometimes it is better to solve the last 4 edges without doing the first two F2L pairs. It depends on what I can see after the second 4 edges.

Don't worry too much about the things I say to name a particular piece. As long as you understand which pieces I am trying to solve, then it's fine.

I am aware some of the things could have been done better. It's not very easy to look through the camera to see the cube :p

Feel free to ask for help in this thread

Last edited by a moderator:

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
First of all, FINALLY A YAU5 THREAD

Secondly, I am mind blown by:
1) Your color neutrality
2) The fact that you solve your 4th cross piece before L4C
3) THOSE EDGE TRICKS MY GOD
4) The way you do the centers.

I do L4C in a different way. Essentially it is Justin Thomas's 6x6 Yau5 centers approach.
Also, when I have parity, I put parity on a single tredge, and save it for LL. Then I do the alg. I feel that it makes it easier to 'look ahead' into OLL.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
^Try to aim for about 60 moves for that part. I did 10 solves and got an average of about 60 moves. (QTM)

I'm going to make a video on the last 4 edges because it can be a tricky and something which I call the "brest" trick for solving F2L. I might do some yau6 example solves at some point.

Last edited:

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know this is a big bump, but I just needed to ask - I currently average just under 1:50 using reduction, and am considering switching to Yau. If I wanted to drop my average down to 1:40, what should my splits be? I need to know how much time to dedicate to each step and which steps I need to improve the most because I feel like I'm at a dead end with reduction.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For 1:40, try ~55 seconds for cross and centres, and ~45 for the rest. It's a bit vague but I don't know my splits beyond cross and centres followed by reduction and 3x3x3 finish.

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
For 1:40, try ~55 seconds for cross and centres, and ~45 for the rest. It's a bit vague but I don't know my splits beyond cross and centres followed by reduction and 3x3x3 finish.

Okay I've had a couple of attempts and at the moment I seem to be around 1:10 ish for centres + cross and for the rest I am about just over 50 seconds.
How do you think I could improve from here?

I currently avg 1:55 with yau5 and my cross and centers takes 55 seconds on average, I should really practice my 3x3 stage.. I'm so bad at it

peedoo72

Yau5

Hi, I'm new to 5x5 and wondering if I should use redux or Yau. Currently I use Yau and I avg about 4:10. Can Someone do a comparison Yau vs REdux? Wink FAZ

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
I don't think any one person can give a fair comparison between the two because they would have started out mainly using one method and being familiar with it.

I use Yau5 because it's more fun than redux. I think both have equal potential, sort of like CFOP vs Roux. Try both, choose the one you like.

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think any one person can give a fair comparison between the two because they would have started out mainly using one method and being familiar with it.

I use Yau5 because it's more fun than redux. I think both have equal potential, sort of like CFOP vs Roux. Try both, choose the one you like.

+1
i also just realised that all my official PB's for 5x5-7x7 are now yau5 :D