• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Lawrence Summer/Fall 2015

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am mostly posting this thread to generate ideas and interest for my next competition which could be Lawrence Summer or Lawrence Fall (if it's supposed to be a seasonal event, I don't think "open" would be a good name). If a Lawrence Summer could happen, it would likely happen in mid-September so there could be a possibility of having another competition in early-mid November. If not, then there will just be a Lawrence Fall.

Now would be the time to suggest the events.
Events that I have planned would be:
  • 3 rounds of 3x3
  • 3 rounds of 2x2
  • 1 round of Megaminx
  • 1 round of OH
Events that I would likely have would be:
  • 1 round of 5x5
  • 1 round of Pyraminx and/or Skewb
  • 1̶ ̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶O̶H̶ (decided that it should be an event)
Events that I would totally consider if there's enough interest:
  • 3BLD
  • FMC (maybe as a side event, I dunno)
  • Square-1
Of course, I would consider ANY event should there be enough interest, it's just that the ones above I would be easier to persuade hosting :p

Also keep in mind that this competition is currently in the PLANNING stages. I don't have a delegate yet, I don't have a venue yet (although getting my school won't be very hard), I don't have a schedule nor a definitive date; this is just to help me plan from the start.

Last edited:

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
LOL. You read my mind!

6x6 please!? ;)
We'll see how the rest of the schedule turns out. I do want at least 1 rather long event, but I kind of had FMC in mind.

Can you put a second round of Pyraminx in tenative? :)
It would depend on how many people are actually going to show up this time. So far, the 2 Lawrence comps have been quite the opposites of each other, LO14 having only a small group of competitors while LS15 was one of the largest non-regional comps in the USA.

WCA
2013BARK01
It would depend on how many people are actually going to show up this time. So far, the 2 Lawrence comps have been quite the opposites of each other, LO14 having only a small group of competitors while LS15 was one of the largest non-regional comps in the USA.

I personally prefer smaller competitions. They tend to be less chaotic, and I also have a better chance to get top 8/5/3 or whatever.
If I LS15 were as small as LO14, I would have easily made the finals.

Suggestions:

3 rounds 3x3 (top 24 / top 12)
3 rounds 2x2 (top 24 / top 12)
1 round 4x4 (1:30 soft 3:00 hard)
1 attempt FMC
1 round 5x5/6x6 (2:45 soft 5:00 hard / 5:00 soft 8:00 hard) (I would probably prefer 6x6 because I've seriously improved and I'm sure *cough* some people *cough* Aussie would agree.)
1 round Pyraminx (0:30 soft / 0:45 hard)
1 round Skewb (0:35 soft / 0:50 hard)
1 round OH (1:00 soft / 1:20 hard)
Anything else I don't care at all

Edit: With a 15.03 average at Lawrence Open 2014 round 2 I would have beaten you Edward :p

RjFx2

Based on the last two Lawrence comps, I think it would be good to have 3 rounds of 3x3 and 2x2, 2 rounds of Pyra, and 1 round of skewb megaminx OH and 5x5. With these you could have extra time so cutoffs could be longer and have a Fmc side event or something like that. Reasons: everything should be easy to understand why, and two rounds of Pyra is because it has been the most popular event in both Lawrence competitions besides for 2x2 and 3x3. Tentative could also have second round of skewb.

Wow, a lot of unnecessary typing.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I personally prefer smaller competitions. They tend to be less chaotic, and I also have a better chance to get top 8/5/3 or whatever.
If I LS15 were as small as LO14, I would have easily made the finals.
I never said I preferred larger ones, I just need to be prepared for it. I'm not sure if anyone can accurately predict what the turnout would be. It could have over 90 people again, or it could have fewer than 50. I need to assume the largest possible turnout (if it's smaller then we could add a bunch of events on the fly or something; I just don't want to be as unprepared as last time) so I can work around that.

Also last 3bld only had 15% of people sign up (5).
Well, last time there were only like 40 people, many of whom had never been to a competition :p

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could you do 7x7?

If there's enough interest for one particular event, I'll probably host it. Although, 7x7 is an ungodly long event, so I'm not too certain about it.

I dunno, maybe if Aussie, John Doeden, and a few others want it, then I don't see why not. It's just not a very popular event, and I want to host events that I know a fairly decent amount of people will enter in.